Skip navigation
JF_Calero
Currently Being Moderated

Offline editing in Premiere CS6

May 31, 2013 1:53 AM

Hi!

I'm thinking about to edit a feature film in Premiere putting together all the episodes of my webserie. It's an action webserie and has a lot of cuts. It is in H.264 from 7d so is very difficult to play in real time.

Are there any way to make proxies of the sequence for a more fluid edit and reconnect later with the original files (as you can do in Avid or FCPX)?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2013 4:22 AM   in reply to JF_Calero

your computer might be not enough powerful to work with HD files. I have an Intel i7 1.83mhz + Graphic Nvidia Cuda card, and with 5D MKII files, everthing works realtime with many effect.

Anyway, what you can do is to convert to low-res all of your HD files in a folder called LOWRES.

Then, you can import to a new project all of the low-res files and do your editing with those lighter files and i might be realtime. Then, when the job is done, just go to your media window (on left) and replace all low-res files to Original HD files. Just right click to a file then choose "replace with other file" ... one by one.
    Then start the rendering...

Hope it will help.

Denis

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    May 31, 2013 7:26 AM   in reply to DENIS- DGP
    ...then choose "replace with other file" ... one by one.

You don't have to do this "one by one".

Create the lower resolution proxy files using the same names

as the original, high resolution versions.

At that point, it is a simple matter of renaming one folder or the other

before launching Premiere and opening the Project.

On opening, Premiere will ask the location of the missing media files

(since you have renamed the folder).

Point to the preferred folder (low-res or high-res versions),

select the first file requested in the 'missing media' dialog,

and all of the other files will automatically be relinked in one step.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 7:27 AM   in reply to JF_Calero

Yes indeed!

But you will have to use the fonction "replace with" to files one by one. Then it will relink the low res files to HD files into your timeline.

Denis

Sent from my iPad.

Le 31 mai 2013 à 16:20, JF_Calero <forums_noreply@adobe.com> a écrit :

Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6

created by JF_Calero in Premiere Pro - View the full discussion

Hi Denis, thanks for your help.

Yes, right now I have one of the last MacBook Pro (no retina) but only with 4Gb of RAM. But I originally edit the series in my Macpro (with 24Gb and quadro 4000) and the action sequences still had problem to play well in H.264.

My problem is that I have every episode already edit, although I'll probably change it when I mix all together.

So, I think in this solution following your advice:

•Make a Project manager of the sequences to one folder.

•Batch transcode the resulting clips to a proxy version in another folder, with different name but maintaining the original name of the clips

•Relink the sequences to the new ones

In this way I can easily switch from offline to online version, right?

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5368172#5368172

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Pro by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 7:28 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Yes that will works too. easyer especially if you have undreds files to re-link

Denis

Sent from my iPad.

Le 31 mai 2013 à 16:26, joe bloe premiere <forums_noreply@adobe.com> a écrit :

Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6

created by joe bloe premiere in Premiere Pro - View the full discussion

...then choose "replace with other file" ... one by one.

You don't have to do this "one by one".

Create the lower resolution proxy files using the same names

as the original, high resolution versions.

At that point, it is a simple matter of renaming one folder or the other

before launching Premiere and opening the Project.

On opening, Premiere will ask the location of the missing media files

(since you have renamed the folder).

Point to the preferred folder (low-res or high-res versions),

select the first file requested in the 'missing media' dialog,

and all of the other files will automatically be relinked in one step.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5368188#5368188

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Pro by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    May 31, 2013 7:29 AM   in reply to DENIS- DGP

you will have to use the fonction "replace with" to files one by one.

Not if you use the procedure described in post #3.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 5:17 AM   in reply to JF_Calero
    Adobe Media Encoder doesn't let you to transcode to the "same as source" resolution when you want to transcode to quicktime

It does.

...It relink easilly with almost all the clips, but there is a problem: some clips has a different number of audio tracks and it doesn't let you relink in any way with the new clip...

If you name the folder with source footages e.g. FOOTAGES and the folder with proxies e.g. FOOTAGES.Proxies and then rename them into FOOTAGES.Sources and FOOTAGES accordingly, you won't even need to relink your clips on relaunching the project irrespective of whether your source footages' audio is Dolby 5.1, while proxies' audio is stereo etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 9:04 AM   in reply to JF_Calero
    If you don't change it, AME transcode the shot to that  resolution independently of the original resolution of the source. Is there any other way?

Not sure I follow you... Who or what does prohibit you from setting required resolution or even creating your own preset for AME?

I would like to use 2 differents hard drives for online and offline

And what is the purpose? I understand when drives are separated for different tasks like reading and writing, but other than that...

P.S. OK, since .prproj file is just an XML document, you can do what you want with some editing your .prproj file in a text or a script editor. Open it up in e.g. Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit, press Ctrl/Cmd+F and perform FIND AND REPLACE command (enter e.g. Find: D:\FOOTAGES.Sources and Replace With: E:\FOOTAGES.Proxies)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 9:29 AM   in reply to JF_Calero
    So I would have to change all at the same resolution or change the resolution setting one file at a time.

Sorry, but you really need to learn AME a bit better. You can easily assign the same export settings to multiple files and don't have to pick one file at a time so as to do that.

So I would think if it is an option

See the 'P.S.' notes in my previous comment.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 12:15 PM   in reply to JF_Calero

As I said, you can easily apply any export settings you want to multiple files at once. No needs to pick one file at a time so as to do that.

As I also already mentioned, you can easily create a preset or two (or three) with particular export settings, including codec, resolution, frame rate, field order, aspect ratio, bitrate etc. etc. and reuse those presets as many times as you want, applying them onto either a single file or a group of files of your choice at once.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 1:27 PM   in reply to JF_Calero

Finally got you. However, sorting footages by resolution shouldn't be that difficult. On Windows you can sort files by Frame Height or Frame Width right in the AME 'Open' dialog box. I guess, there is something similar on a Mac. It does involve some extra steps compared to transcoding with 'same as source' option in a bulk though.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 11:35 PM   in reply to JF_Calero

Not sure what you're looking for at the Scripting Center webpage. Scripting is not officially supported in PrPro, but that's completely different animal, and some users were even able to do that via trial and errors. However, if you open a .prproj file in Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit, the dialog box pops up, asking for a language. Choose XML at the bottom of the list, and you'll get something like this:

PrPro. Opening Project File in ExtendScript Toolkit.jpg

As I said, you can use any script or even text editor, not necessarily Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit. Here is the result of opening a .prproj file in WordPad:

PrPro. Opening Project File in WordPad.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 1:48 AM   in reply to JF_Calero

.prproj files are not OS dependent.

And as I said, scripting in an Adobe application and the project file structure for that application are completely different animals.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 2:05 PM   in reply to JF_Calero

Try this one - this is PrPro CS5.5 project file sample. Upload your sample so that I or any other worthies can have a look as well (I wonder if they made some dramatic change in CC ?.. ). Dropbox is a nice tool for file sharing.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 5:35 AM   in reply to JF_Calero

Has anyone found a back-end workaround for CS6 on Creative Cloud?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 6:57 AM   in reply to hoycer

Add .gz file extension to CC .prproj file and extract the content with any archiver like WinRAR or 7z - you'll get 'regular' .prproj file, which is a plain XML document. Replace Version="26" with Version="25".

If you have difficulties with opening modified .prproj file directly, you can try good old trick with importing a project into a project (i.e. create CS6 project first and then import modified .prproj into it). If that fails, you probably need to convert PrPro CC project to CS5/5.5 project first. See this thread for some more details.

If you need CS5 or CS5.5 to complete the job, here is the direct download link. Scroll down the page to find the desired version.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points