Skip navigation
Lordenzia
Currently Being Moderated

Adjusting a flattened image file

May 31, 2013 4:56 AM

Tags: #photoshop #layers #image_quality #flatted_image #image_degradation

Hello!

Does anyone know an aswer to this question I´m pondering:

If I go on adjusting a psd-file which has been flattened, will the file´s image quality go worse?

Meaning that I´ve had a TIFF-file (made from a RAW-file) that I have adjusted with plenty of layers. After all the adjustments, I´ve made a copy of it, flattened the copied file, cropped it to the wanted size (no interpolation), and made some changes again with cloning tools and gaussian blur. But after this, I find I still have to make another version of the image with different adjustments of lightness (curves) and colors (color balance, saturation) and I´m pondering if I have to go back to the file with layers, or can I continue with the cropped file and make new adjustment layers on this flattened image. Would be better for the work flow and my nerves...

Thank you for anyone who got energy to read this and maybe help me!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2013 5:51 AM   in reply to Lordenzia

If I go on adjusting a psd-file which has been flattened, will the file´s image quality go worse?

Basically any Adjustment will be detrimental – but usually the deterioration with Adjustments that are not extreme is (close to) unnoticeable.

Working in 16bit can help keep the detrimental effects smaller than when working with 8bit images.

I´m pondering if I have to go back to the file with layers, or can I continue with the cropped file and make new adjustment layers on this flattened image.

Do you get banding?

It’s your image, so it’s up to you to decide if the image deterioration is so bad as to warrant starting over.

Why did you not continue working with the layered file anyway?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points