Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Shapes Created in AI CS6 Have Jagged Edges

May 31, 2013 5:33 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have Illustrator CS6 and I've noticed something odd. Whenever I create shapes they have jagged edges. I've attached a screenshot so you can see this. I'm wondering if it's a setting or something that I don't have turned on (or off). Or perhaps it's something else. I've never noticed jagged edges in Illustrator before so I'm curious why it may be happening now.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

jaggededges.PNG

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2013 5:59 AM   in reply to dougdraws

Doug,

What you see is the jaggedness of the pixels of you monitor.

Even if you use Edit>Preferences>Anti-Alias artwork there will always be a certain jaggedness espec ially noticable in slanting straight lines. If you zoom in on vector artwork, the jaggedness should be the same, only in a larger picture.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 6:09 AM   in reply to dougdraws

Doug,

If you used (a monitor with) a higher screen resolution, the jagged edges would be smaller, but basically the pixels can only show rectangular spots of light; they can show intermediate colours to soften transitions, but still rectangular.

So I am afraid you are stuck with a certain jaggedness in any case.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 6:13 AM   in reply to dougdraws

as far as the vectors themselves are aware, there is not. but you have to consider the medium through which those vectors are reaching you, which in this case is a screen made of tiny squares.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 6:21 AM   in reply to dougdraws

Doug,

As (the other) Doug said.

You may enjoy how the (slight) jaggedness becomes relatively smaller as you zoom in; that is an obvious way of determinning whether you have vector or raster artwork.

When you print, the visibility of jaggedness depends on the print method and resolution of spots/dots/lines/whatever, and when you present artwork on the web and similar, the jaggedness will depend on (the settings of) the monitors of the receivers/visitors.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 6:28 AM   in reply to dougdraws

Doug,

Obviously, you should have a certain screen resolution, but colour and calibration might be more important, if you choose to change.

There is a rather wide price range.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 7:12 AM   in reply to dougdraws

i have a pair of 1920x1080 (which is the TV HD standard) ones at work that have been more than adequate so far. i don't know what your type of work is though.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points