Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Any new fixes for corrupt images in Lightroom 4.4?

May 31, 2013 12:09 PM

Tags: #ssd #corrupted #raid0 #corrupted_image #4.4

I have seen many threads on this and tried a lot of the tings people say to try. But I do get corrupt images in Lightroom. I currently have an AMD FX-8150, 32GB ram, 2 SSD Raid0 + USB3.0 drives as backup.

Drive and Memory:

Note, I only keep up to the last 3 shoots on my SSD, the rest are stored on my USB3 drives. Any time I import files to the USB drive I get no corruption. Now that would imply that I have bad drives, I have run diskcheck and contacted Muskin and they had me run some disk checks, speed tests, +other things and identified that the drives are running fine with no issues and this has to be a software issue.

I have run memtest86+ with no errors, also ran memtest86+ with my memory in another machine with no errors.

To rule out the card reader:

When I just copy files from my CF Card to a folder using explorer all images import fine and you can even open every image in photoshop with no issues. As soon as you add those files already copied to the HD to lightroom, they start to corrupt. I just recently used the windows explorer method and added ~400 images to lightroom, all images imported fine, when I later accessed lightroom(Today), about 10% of those images are not corrupt.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Could it be because I use Raid0? Or even SSD drives?

This is quite annoying and I would like to get things fixed.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2013 1:00 PM   in reply to jproductions111

Hi,

I can not help you, sorry. I have may images on hdd and copy the images I am working on to my ssd. Works fine for me. Never had any corruptions.

I would try to simplify our setup. Not a raid ssd, just ssd. (I did not find any speed improvements with lr, as I tried ssd raid 0) Upgrade drivers and deaktivate any optimizing / tweaking tool. If this works, you can try to find you what is causing the problems.

THe german computer magazine ct released a software which tests drives. This software is simple but reliable. http://www.heise.de/download/h2testw.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 4:36 PM   in reply to jproductions111

jproductions111 wrote:

I will check the drivers and I dont believe there is any optimizing set ups. I will probably also try to remove the Raid, I do notice issues in other places and I think it has to do with the raid.

You may be on to something. Anyway, please report back when you reach any conclusions - thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2013 3:19 PM   in reply to jproductions111

jproductions111 wrote:

The thumbnail looks fine as I move to the next image and the preview looks fine until it loads completely, then the image corrupts.

lightroom usually corrupts the same image once I replace it.

Perhaps the raw image data was already corrupt. Lightroom displays first a jpeg preview, then renders the raw data.

What format are the files being corrupted?

Note: Although I can't explain the symptoms you see, 99.9999999% of the time appearance of corrupted images is due to hardware failure - Lightroom just reveals corruption, but doesn't cause it.

Hope you find the root of the trouble,

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2013 5:16 PM   in reply to jproductions111

jproductions111 wrote:

I can assure you it is not hardware.

Just because you haven't found a hardware problem, yet, does not mean there isn't one.

That said, if it is a problem with Lr software, you are going to have to work really hard to prove it to Adobe, since so far: they don't believe it, or at least their self-appointed "expert" spokespersons do not believe it (or in any case, they say they don't believe it, and I believe they are sincere). If they (Adobe) do believe it, then they are keeping quiet and no doubt working feeverishly to fix it. If such is the case, my guess: you'll never see it in the "bugs fixed" section of their release doc.

Note: I've been tarred and feathered in this forum (figuratively) for even suggesting Lightroom could be the culprit, or Adobe wouldn't fess up if Lr was the culprit. In my opinion, it's hard to know just how cynical to be... - companies do tend to suppress negative press, but they're not nearly as deceiptful as many people posit, on average. How does Adobe rank? (integrity-wise) - honestly: I dunno.

One thing is for sure: if it is a hardware problem, such problems can be devilish to find / fix. And despite what you've said, which makes it look like it's not a hardware problem, I too, still, believe the most probably cause at the root of the problem is hardware - sorry (assuming proprietary raw format (???) ).

Not sure what else to say, except:

Possible causes are bounded by the type of files becoming corrupted - you still haven't said.

Good luck,

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2013 7:55 PM   in reply to jproductions111

Whoa - you tossed some new stuff into the mix.

- Video stuff w/ rendering time issues... could very well be software, maybe problem w/ Premiere CS6 - I really have no clue...

But BSODs are "always" hardware or drivers (i.e. low-level, conceivably OS proper - although rarely is).

Regarding the problem with corrupt images in Lr - you need to specify affected format(s), if you want to narrow down possible causes.

Note: Just because a problem occurs in one software but not another doesn't mean the problem is due to software differences. I know this seems counter-intuitive, illogical even - if you don't have an in-depth understanding of computer architecture, but one reason Lr has problems other software doesn't is because it needs to have multiple gigabytes of ram be problem-free, not just a few hundred megs, and such ram might go un-exercised when Lr not running (or be used for non-critical storage...).

Consider removing a couple ram sticks, and swapping which are installed - you'd not be the first to find memtest missed the problem, or problem solved simply by removing and reseating...

Again, good luck.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 3:42 PM   in reply to jproductions111

jproductions111 wrote:

In camera all images preview fine

In camera you see the embedded JPG preview. That doesn't tell you anything about the raw data in the file.

jproductions111 wrote:

and if I open the image right into photoshop completely bypassing lightroom, all images open fine.

You mean that you open the photos with Adobe Camera Raw and pulls them into Photoshop from there?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 5:41 PM   in reply to jproductions111

jproductions111 wrote:

I was just saying the issue I was having with CS6 led me to believe that the latest versions of Adobe software could be a little unstable. Premiere CS6 did cause BSODs (which I am positive had to do with my RAID0-yes hardware) But CS5 couldn't replicate those issues and rendered faster. That's all I am going to say with that issue.

Fair enough - I don't want to talk about it either .

jproductions111 wrote:

I am sure there are no issues with my memory.

DdeGannes struggled with image corruption, and wasn't able to resolve. He ran memtest and his ram passed with flying colors. He then took his computer to a shop and they fixed it by replacing one of his ram cards - no more image corruption. Why did memtest not detect the problem? I dunno, but it's worth keeping in mind... The tech did not explain how he discovered the problem in any way DdeGannes could understand, or in any case, pass along to me.

jproductions111 wrote:

If 32GB of ram is not enough then how much does Lr need to run smoothly?

To run, for testing purposes: 2GB.

To run smoothly: 4GB.

To run optimally: 6-8GB.

(more than that won't help Lr, it will only permit additional ram-hungry apps to be run simultaneously).

jproductions111 wrote:

Also, I am sure my RAM got replaced in a different order.

The idea is to put in *less* of your ram cards, and mark which ones (so you can rotate all of them out). You need to be methodical to trouble-shoot.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 6:10 PM   in reply to jproductions111

jproductions111 wrote:

are you suggesting I remove ram?

If you weren't having image corruption problems, I would not be suggesting it, but until your image corruption is resolved, yes: try with 1 (8GB) card at a time.

Ram is #1 reason for (post-import) image corruption, when hard disk is not faulty. memtest simply doen't catch all potential problems - I don't know enough to say why or what kinds it does not catch..

So step 1, make SURE you know whether it's happening upon import or post-import.

If upon import it's probably camera, card, reader, cable, port, or driver.

If post import it's usually ram or disk, although there are other possibilities.

Wish I could be more help.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 7:42 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob, you are giving great advise, as usual.

I am looking forward to the solution to this mystery!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2013 12:08 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob, maybe worth trying a new import to each of the non-raided SSDs to see what the results are.....if importing to a USB drive is fine (as per very first post) to me that suggests a problem with the SSD (maybe the Raid setup, maybe the drives themselves)? It's not clear to me if that has been attempted since the Raid was disabled.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 4:25 PM   in reply to jproductions111

I would also suggest you check your RAM as a possible source of the random corruption.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 10:56 PM   in reply to jproductions111

jproductions111 wrote:

Again, I have not gotten any corruption in any photos that I have shot after Lr5 was released, just the continued corruption from photos shot while using Lr4, but were pulled from my backup.

Not sure what to say, except: if they're going corrupt, in Lightroom (or that's how it seems anyway), then they probably already were corrupt, on disk (assuming ram and disk (and all other computer hardware) is ok...). - whether or not it's even "possible" for that not to be true depends on file format, which you still haven't mentioned, have you?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 10:52 AM   in reply to jproductions111

You may want to try this tool:

http://www.cr2repair.com/cr2raw-corrupted.php

I have no knowledge whatsoever of the tool. It may contain malware, it may not work, it may eat your CR2s. I don't know. But it claims to be able to repair CR2 corruption.

And since I have earlier claimed that CR2 corruption ought to be easily repairable, there is a good chance that the tool actually works.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 10:55 AM   in reply to jproductions111

jproductions111 wrote:

just the continued corruption from photos shot while using Lr4, but were pulled from my backup.

Were those photos touched by Lightroom prior to the backup?

If not, you can certainly rule out Lightroom as a cause for file corruption.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 10:41 PM   in reply to jproductions111

jproductions111 wrote:

By File format do you mean .CR2

Yes.

Lr doesn't modify CR2 files (unless changing capture time) - it only reads them, and it's impossible to corrupt a file just by reading it (although it is possible for a good file to appear corrupted when reading it, due to hardware failure). It is therefore extremely unlikely (nearly impossible) that Lr would corrupt your CR2 files. So, either:

1. you have a hardware problem,

2. some other software has/is corrupting them, or

3. they were already corrupt.

I don't see any other possibility.

At the risk of stating the obvious:

if you're pretty confident it's not #1, and they haven't been subject to any other software you can think of (pretty-much ruling out #2), then it's probably #3.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 12:34 PM   in reply to jproductions111

jproductions111 wrote:

3. I have checked 99.9% of all the images Lr shows as corrupt and Ps opens them fine with no corruption. That .01% is that single image I, again, stated above.

Could you find a place (for example Dropbox) to upload one of the raws which you can open in PS but not in LR?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 4:23 PM   in reply to Allan_Olesen

Allan_Olesen wrote:

Could you find a place (for example Dropbox) to upload one of the raws which you can open in PS but not in LR?

Good idea.

I suppose the other possibility I hadn't considered in previous posts is that Lr has a (potentially intermittent) problem in the reading / interpretation code such that non-corrupt files are being seen as corrupt in Lightroom.

I mean, if CR2 files open fine in ACR (e.g. via Ps), then they aren't corrupt. So if Lr can't properly handle them, then this seems a likely candidate. On the other hand, if you can't open them (same files previously proven good I mean) in ACR after Lr has a crack at them, then we're back to hardware (assuming Lr really isn't writing them).

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 12:27 PM   in reply to jproductions111

jproductions111 wrote:

Ok there are 4 images, 2 jpgs, one showing the corrupt image in Lr, and one showing the image load fine in ACR.

Have you only viewed them in ACR or have you continued importing them into PS?

If you only view them in ACR, you probably only see the embedded JPG.

jproductions111 wrote:

i can send you many more that do exactly the same thing. They are corrupt in Lr but when I open the internal backup they are fine(also fine on my external backup).

"Open the internal backup"? What does that mean? In which software do you open it?

Edit:

I downloaded your CR2s. The one called IMG_1968.CR2 is OK. The one called kianjillwedding-19 is corrupted when I open it in Lightroom.

I don't have photoshop installed so I can't test that. Perhaps someone else can.

But could you explain which steps you have taken with these two files? They appear to be the same photo, but one is corrupted and one is not.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 9:27 PM   in reply to jproductions111

jproductions111 wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kb09fgrepkc7jur/RgTssF0aQ9

IMG_1968.CR2 - raw data OK, although Lr was unable to display an initial preview (in import dialog box), which may mean the file *is* "somewhat" corrupt, even if raw data is not. I assume this came from backup.

kianjillwedding-19.CR2 - raw data is corrupt, I assume this came from working folder (i.e. imported in Lr).

jproductions111 wrote:

They are corrupt in Lr but when I open the internal backup they are fine(also fine on my external backup).

If fine in backups, then problem did not occur during (initial) transfer - i.e. camera, card, reader, cable, port: OK.

If a different copy became corrupt on disk, which is presumably what happened to kianjillwedding-19.CR2, then presumably that was caused by a hardware problem. I mean, if we accept the premise that Lr did not write the file, it only read it, then it could not have corrupted it. Is there any reason not to suspect the disk drive? which you've now changed around, and since doing, have had no images become corrupted.

Note: Lr *DOES* write the file if imported via 'Copy' (or OS writes it, if copied prior to import by 'Add'). That software (which does the copying) is presumably "bug free" and isn't the culprit. If file appeared corrupt immediately after importing, problem may very well have been upon transfer (presumably due to hardware failure), if it occurred later (without having been rewritten), more likely the disk problem which you've since remedied, hopefully.

Not sure what else to say. The way images get corrupted is simple (which does not necessarily mean easy to isolate): bad hardware causes erroneous data to be read and/or written. Yes, it's possibly software, but the code in the (camera and) OS for (reading and) writing files (for simple copying I mean) is most likely rock solid, and unlikely to be the culprit, and since Lr does not ever re-write CR2 files (other than when updating capture time I mean), if they are corrupt in Lr (and not in pre-Lr source), then it occurred upon import/copy, or you got a bad disk (assuming data is actually corrupt on disk, and not just getting read incorrectly, e.g. due to ram problem...).

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 10:14 PM   in reply to jproductions111

jproductions111 wrote:

Usually when Lr renames the photos as you saw kianjillwedding-19, Lr changed the name from IMG_1968. Thats may have something to do with the corruption.

I don't see how. Renaming shouldn't change anything on disk except, well, the name - and of course update a bunch of things in the catalog.

jproductions111 wrote:

I will get back to you if the problem continues but everything still seems to be fine in Lr5, even after letting Lr rename all the photos with my current(today's) import of 700 images.

OK - thanks.

jproductions111 wrote:

I know you don't believe its software

~impossible it's Lr4 software. Theoretically possible, but highly unlikely. As I said, Lr4 should never be rewriting those files, and therefore essentially can not corrupt them. I mean, its possible that it got it's brains scrambled, and went ahead and rewrote them, for god-knows why or just for the he|| of it - because some bits seemed to be set wrong..., thus invalidating the assumption that it's not rewriting them. It's just that this scenario is the least likely. I mean, Jeff Schewe has given me spankings more than once before, for even bringing it up, since it's so unlikely...

jproductions111 wrote:

maybe Lr 4 was causing some sort of bug to make the hardware malfunction

Although theoretically possible, I'd still venture to guess that's not what happened.

jproductions111 wrote:

this is not happening to my in Lr5.

Didn't you also change your disk drive situation around just before you started using Lr5?

jproductions111 wrote:

But I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Me too - please keep us posted...

R

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 9:33 AM   in reply to jproductions111

Not sure what to say jproductions111 - it would be interesting to see if you started using Lr4 again if the problems came back, but I wouldn't blame you if you don't want to try that. My guess is: Lr4 coding is a red herring (not the problem), but I can't really back that up, except theoretically.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points