Skip navigation
bageled001
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS6 crashes on startup

May 31, 2013 7:54 PM

Tags: #cs6 #crash_on_startup

InDesign CS6 crashes on start up.

The boot gets as far as "starting up panels" then I get a windows message "Adobe InDesign has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Other CS6 programs I have tried have workd fine.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign

I have updated InDesign via the Adobe Application Manager.

I have tried booting as administrator.

Windows 7 Professional 64bit

As far as I know InDesign has never worked, I only recently installed CS6 and this has been my first attempt to launch it.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 1, 2013 12:13 AM   in reply to bageled001

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2013 1:59 AM   in reply to bageled001

Are you running from an administrator account or a restricted account? Is the user profile on the C: drive?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2013 3:47 AM   in reply to bageled001

Unfortunately that eliminates one whole branch of possibilities, so we're no closer to finding an answer. What does event viewer have to say about it? It won't be real helpful, but it might have a clue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2013 4:59 AM   in reply to bageled001

No that's not waht I was looking for, but it actually was helpful as it showed the splash screen withteh last notice "starting up panels." I've been searching,and I can't find a definitive answer for a cause. Do you know how to check folder permissions? Do you have a font manager?

Is your default printer a local (as opposed to network) printer, and turned on?

Event Viewer is in the Windows Control Panel under Administrative Tools. There are a number of sub-categories, and you'll want to look under Windows Logs > Application and Windows Logs > System.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2013 3:17 AM   in reply to bageled001

OK, that's really good information. Javascript may not be enabled on your system, and ID depends heavily on it. From the Start menu, choose Run... then in the command line type "regsvr32 jscript.dll" without the quotes and click OK. You should see a confirmation of successful registration.

Next, see if you can locate a font activation plugin from bitstream in the InDesign Plugins. I don't have a clue about it's name or which folder it will be in, but you might be able to find it by using Adobe Extension Manager, which you can launch from the Start Menu (it will be listed along with the other CS6 apps). Select InDesign from the list on the left side after it loads, then look for the Bitstream plugin in the list and uncheck it (it may need to be removed entirely, not just deactivated, but I would do that using Windows Explorer once you know its name so you can find it using Windows Search -- you can cut it from its installed location and put it someplace safe where you can find it to reinstall if the problem isn't related to font activation).

If that doesn't do it, try manually installing the InDesign 8.0.1 update by downloading it from http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5465 (You may already have this update installed if you've been running the Adobe updater).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 5:18 AM   in reply to bageled001

I was hoping it would, too....

There was another thread yesterday that might have some relevance: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5373209#5373209

Manish Sharma suggested deleting the PlugInConfig.txt file from your user profile (he was talking to a Mac user, for you it will be in Users\<your username>\appdata\roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version 8.0\en_US), and making sure you have read and write permissions on the application plugin folders, which would normally be installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\(and some subdirectory that would depend on whether the application is stand-alone or part of a package).

It's a long shot, but worth checking. I'll ping him, too, to see if he has any other suggestions....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 7:22 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hello bageled001,

I will appreciate if you could please follow the below steps and update us with the status :-

1) Check in the new user account on your computer.

2) Check running InDesign in the Selective startup mode on your computer. (http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/disable-startup-items-servic es-windows.html)

Also, could you please check the version of Java you are running and update latest version if you do not have the current Java update installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 1:51 AM   in reply to bageled001

The application worked fine in the new user account and is not working in your usual user profile.

It seems the issue is with Premission or some other issue on the specific user account.

Please follow the suggestion in the below link as they may help :-

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-unexpected-beha vior-user-account-1.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points