Skip navigation
macbqe55
Currently Being Moderated

In compatible upgrades  CS5 and Camera Raw 7.4

Jun 2, 2013 4:55 AM

Hi,

I have been shooting with my Nikon D 200 and processing my RAw files thru Adobe camera Raw 6.0 and finishing them in CS5.   Just got my Nikon D7100 which is not compatable with Camera Raw 6.0 but is compatible with 7.4  but 7.4 is not compatible with CS5??

I have light room 4 but like CS 5 much better.  How can I get Abodobe Camera raw 7.4 if I convert from Raw in that can I bring my image back to CS 5??

What tcan I do to resolve this dilemma

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 2, 2013 6:15 AM   in reply to macbqe55

You can get Camera Raw 7.4 by upgrading to Photoshop CS6. It's that simple. The last version of Camera Raw for Photoshop CS5 is version 6.7. You could download the DNG converter version 7.4 and create digital negative copies of your NEF files. Those DNG files will have all of the original raw data in them and you will be able to open those files with Photoshop CS5. But if you are using Lightroom, it has all of the same adjustments that are in Camera Raw. Lightroom will create a TIF or PSD file that contains all of your Lightroom adjustments, and send that file to Photoshop. It's what a lot of people do when they don't have current versions of both Photoshop and Lightroom. It's what I will be doing when Photoshop CS7 is finally released and I can't get any more Camera Raw updates.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2013 9:49 AM   in reply to macbqe55

At least   AT LEAST   If you're using Windows you can download the Microsoft Nikon codec, which for the D600 is here: http://www.nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/  and you can see your images in your My Pictures files.(This has become such a circus act!)  I did go the route suggested above by jimhess and subscribed .to the cloud and PSCS6, only to find Adobe has discontinued Pixel Bender which was a big disappointment the new features don't compensat for.  So I cancelled.the CC and will continue with PSCS5 and LR5 when it's released.  Good luck to you and other PSCS5 users.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to ctwdaz

ctwdaz wrote:

I did go the route suggested above by jimhess and subscribed .to the cloud and PSCS6

Apparently, you didn't read my suggestion very closely because I didn't in any way suggest joining the CC.  Photoshop CS6 can still be purchased directly for the next couple of weeks as I understand it.  I have no intentions of joining the CC.  I purchased Photoshop CS6 several months ago and will continue to use it along with Lightroom 5 when it is released.  Photoshop is working very well with the currently available Lightroom 5 beta, so I don't expect any problems when it is finally officially released.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to JimHess

JimHess wrote:

Photoshop CS6 can still be purchased directly for the next couple of weeks as I understand it.

Wrong info...Adobe has said it will continue to sell CS6 as a perpetual license for the foreseeable future and will even offer updates for bug fixes and OS compatibilities...so, "weeks" is incorrect.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2013 12:11 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

I guess that is what I get for believing what I read on these forums.  Frankly, I haven't taken the time to read the official announcements from Adobe.  Thanks for the clarification.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2013 1:08 PM   in reply to JimHess

JimHess wrote:

I guess that is what I get for believing what I read on these forums.

You can only believe actual true information, not rumor nor speculation...so, unless you know something for a fact, it would be useful to not spread misinformation...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points