Skip navigation
BobThornton1
Currently Being Moderated

File Association Problems

Jun 2, 2013 8:42 AM

Hi everyone,

I recently updated to Photoshop CS6 after previously using Photoshop CS3. Photoshop itself works fine, The problem I am experiencing lies with Bridge.

When I open certain folders, Adobe Bridge crashes. I found that the crash is caused because certain files are not defined to be associated in Adobe Bridge. A few examples are .midi files, .rar files and .png files. I would expect to be able to fix this if I were able to make Bridge 'recognize' these files. The problem is I can only edit the association of extensions Bridge itself has identified and because Bridge hasn't even recognized the.midi, .rar and .png files, I am stuck.

So my question is: is there a way to edit the extensions Bridge recognizes?

Just to be clear. The problem is that .midi, .rar etc don't appear in the file type association list AT ALL instead of it appearing but just not being defined to be opened by a certain program.

I am running Windows Vista 32 bit.

Thanks in advance

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 2, 2013 5:44 PM   in reply to BobThornton1

midi files and rar files are speciality files and if not listed Bridge will not support.  Will have to use another program.  Will Windows Exporer even open them?

ON the other hand a .png file should work just fine.

Not sure what your workflow is like but CS6 takes a fairly good video card to work well with PS.  Also, it likes to run on min. of 8 gigs of RAM.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 10:09 AM   in reply to BobThornton1

I reset the file association for PNGs to use Photoshop.

For the .rar and .midi which Bridge does not support, use Control- or Right-click and choose a suitable App from the pop-out menu to open or preview those files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 10:43 AM   in reply to BobThornton1

If Bridge crashes when opeing a folder with certain files it is most likely a corrupt file or the video card driver.

The file association list is not really a folder.  You have to use browse to navigate to the folder where the program is found.  THen find the file that opens it.  In Windows it is program.exe.  So if you want a .png to open in CS6 you need to find photoshop.exe.  This is the file with the program icon in program files.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 3, 2013 2:46 PM   in reply to BobThornton1

The problem is that bridge crashes. A crash ONLY occurs when i open a folder that contains a file with an extension that bridge does not have in its file associations list.

I would start with resetting Bridge preferences and see if this helps (restart bridge holding down control key)

If you are able to select a folder you might be OK but maybe also need to purge the cache for that problem folder.

If selecting the folder still crashes Bridge I would try to again hold down control key and also include purge central cache.

As a Mac user I'm not familiar with Windows but there is this blog about not supporting Vista any longer in CS6. Not that it does not work but if you have a problem with the combination Vista and Adobe CS6 it is not likely that there ever will be a solution I'm afraid:

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2012/03/photoshop-cs6-operating -system-support-and-beyond.html?PID=2159997

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points