Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I stop Adobe Bridge reloading thumbnails each time I load the software?

Jun 2, 2013 1:57 PM

Hello,

I have photo files (in RAW format) saved basically in two places, firstly on my laptop harddrive, and secondly archived on an external toshiba hard drive that connects to my laptop via USB

When I load up Adobe Bridge and navigate to the folder of images on my laptop hard drive, the thumbnails are available pretty much instantly. Bridge is able to 'remember' the thumbnails from last time it loaded them up. (I say 'remembered' I know thats probably not the right word but i'm a bit of a philistine when it comes to computers so please forgive my ignorance!)

When I plug the external hard drive in to my laptop, and navigate to the folder, Bridge has to extract all of the thumbnails from scratch. For some of my folders this is over 1000+ images each time and I am needing to work with these images on a daily basis. So its getting frustrating having to wait for several minutes or more (sometimes 10+ minutes) before I can start opening the files I need in CS5.

I guess the reason is that the hard drive is external and so the laptop/Bridge thinks it is a new set of images being loaded up each time. But the hard drive appears as the same drive letter each time, so the folder/file paths of each image/thumbnail should be the same. I used to use the same method with Adobe PS Elements Organiser, and this software seemed to recognise the hard drive each time I loaded the software and I didn't have to wait for the thumbnails in Elements to load.

Is there any way to correct this before I ditch Bridge and go back to using Elements?

Kind regards
Tom

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,932 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 2, 2013 3:12 PM   in reply to Rocket.1978

Tom I have several external drives, and this isn't happening.  You said the drive is made by Toshiba, but I can't see mention of the laptop operating system?  I am on Windows 7.

Have you looked through your preferences?  I have 'Automatically export cache to folders when possible' checked and 'Keep 100% previews in chache' unchecked'.  How much space have you allocated for your chache?  And how does your OS see the external drive?  Is it mounted and comes under the list of drives in 'My Computer, or does it show as Removeable ?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 2, 2013 6:46 PM   in reply to Rocket.1978

Tom,

Bridge is just a file browser.  The Organizer in Elements is, well, an organizer or Digital Asset Manager.

If you don't have your Bridge preferences set as Trevor indicated, to export the cache to folders, then the cache for your external HD is not maintained when you disconnect the USB drive.

CAVEAT:  I'm a Mac User and things may be different in Windows.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 3, 2013 2:00 AM   in reply to Rocket.1978

but it does look like it will do what I want and although the management of files is not as useful as with Organiser I can pretty much manage the filing using the folder system in windows explorer and use Bridge as the 'viewer' part of my workflow.

Could you specify the 'not as useful as Organizer part a bit more?

It is funny to see that my experience is just the other way round, very happy (despite al its shortcomings and the lack of further development but we have talked about that in many earlier posts…) Bridge user for years and years and used to have installed Elements also installed on my system out of curiosity but never could get the hang of it.

What parts are your missing in Bridge that you could do in Organizer?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 7:36 AM   in reply to Rocket.1978

Rocket.1978 wrote:

…Bridge - have had the software for years I guess but never really used it before, but it does look like it will do what I want and although the management of files is not as useful as with Organiser I can pretty much manage the filing using the folder system in windows explorer and use Bridge as the 'viewer' part of my workflow…

Tom,

That's exactly what Bridge is!  Glad you grasped it.  Good job!

On the other hand, at least on the Mac, Bridge immediately reflects anything you do to your filing structure in the Finder (which is kind of the equivalent of Windows Explorer) and viceversa, anything you do in Bridge is instantly reflected in the Finder.

For a more robust DAM (Digital Asset Manager) look to something like Canto Cumulus:  http://www.canto.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 7:38 AM   in reply to Rocket.1978

Bridge does not work with an "album" paradigm at all.  It strictly reflects the filing structure in your computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 8:47 AM   in reply to Rocket.1978

As has been pointed out Bridge is just a browser.  All edits are either contained on the image or on an XMP file. Which makes the file portable from system to system.

Photoshop Elements and Lightroom use a database for the info.  Therefore it is much easier to organize, sort, and manipulate the images in these programs.  However, this does not make the image very portable to other users.  To read the info in Bridge from PSE and LR one has to write it to the image.  Both programs has an option to do this.

Disclamer, have never used PSE or LR.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 9:12 AM   in reply to Rocket.1978

What version of PSE are you using?  If you have the current version you should be able to update to camera raw (ACR) 7.4 to view your new camera images.

Not sure if you are aware or not, but ACR for Bridge and PSE is the same number.  However, the PSE version has many of the features stripped out.  So it you are into RAW and want the best tools you need to step up and use the full version. 

Like I said have never used PSE or LR but many poeple use Lightroom for the reasons you desciribe.  Unfortunately there is no one perfect software, only you can decide what is best for you.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 3, 2013 9:34 AM   in reply to Rocket.1978

In Organiser I can have a seperate album created where I add any image that is black and white (in addition to the 'source' folder where the image is stored)

Like Station Two and Curt already pointed out, Bridge is a browser that reflects the folder structure on your system and you are used to work with a library structure holding the original in place and links them to the different versions.

That indeed is a whole other workflow. LightRoom may offer you that and as a Mac user I know both iPhoto (limited features for editing but a nice function called places to see images with gps data directly placed on a map to show where you took them) and Aperture, also a library structure and different versions linked to the original, do offer both working with a library structure.

But since you talk about a C-drive you will be on Windows and both above mentioned apps are not available for Windows I'm afraid.

You have the choice to change your workflow entirely for Bridge trying to work your way with a folder system and collections, Use Lightroom or combine the both.

I can't tell you that, this is down to your personal wishes.

Lightroom uses a library for it's originals and versions  but I don't know how it handles different versions. You can always try your self and download the trial version of LR. I have to less experience with LR, have it installed and use it sometimes but like you are used to PSE and new to Bridge I'm used to Bridge and inexperienced with LR

To be honest, with your wishes it might be worth a try to check LR out for its library structure, you may feel more comfortable with it. Besides file management it has some nice options to edit also (personally I prefer the edit in PS itself) and you can set prefs to open the files in PS or an other editor of your choice.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to Rocket.1978

If PSE is similar to PS you can only update ACR in the same series.  So in CS5 you can only update to ACR6.x.  If the camera needs ACR 7.x you either have to update or use DNG converter.  Perhaps PSE is similar.  If you have 2 previous verions of PSE you may be only able to use ACR5.x, and your camera requires ACR6.x.

And yes newer cameras require newer ACR.  But don't blame it all on Adobe.  If the camera manufacturs would not change to a new format each time they introduced a new camera, a new camera raw would not be required.  But that is waaaay to simple of a concept.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 12:27 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I used to be able to tell from the updates page...

Mac http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=40&platform =Macintosh

Windows http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=40&platform =Windows

...but it's not so straightforward since they stopped providing it as a download.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 2:03 PM   in reply to Rocket.1978

Bridge's answer to a PsE "Album" is a Collection.

You place aliases to your files in a named Collection.

Your files remain in their original physical locations on your HD but the same files may be included in multiple Collections.

Keywords and the use of the Filter panels in Bridge provide further ways to list files which share certain specifications such as date, camera, location etc..

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 3, 2013 2:37 PM   in reply to Rocket.1978

I think I will perseveer with Bridge for a little while and see how I get on, and if it doesn't work out i'll consider investing some more time and money in an alternative programme. Ho hum.

It is very hard if not impossible to develop an application that will suit all users. You want your files in Albums, being able to work on originals and have the option to work on them again creating a new version.

My usage is basically not very different because I (like many others) also need to organize my files. But I would like them in a clear oversight with open folder structure. I can do so in Bridge, nothing is hidden away in a package file (like most library structure use) it is all in the open and clear.

So it seems there is a part liking the library structure and a part want's it to be open, some even are strongly against library structures (amongst them a few of the diehards on this forum… )

It's not possible to combine the two in one app so there is the problem.

For me Bridge is key in my process workflow, I use it always and heavy. That said, once the files are ready, distributed to clients and available for archiving I use a dedicated DAM application (for me that is Canto Cumulus single user, but there are other dedicated Digital Asset Management applications.

To my opinion Bridge is not suitable for long term archive usage (the ever changing cache format is one of the main reasons, also the central cache file can grow very large). On the other hand Canto Cumulus (that is lightning fast in searching keywords and description) is not suitable for the pre process and metadata etc where I use Bridge for.

Said many times before, the right app for the right job.

If I look at my older files in archive and need to use them I often am not happy with the quality (the earliest digital files are from 1994, scanned from film, but I dumped analog totally in 2002 or 2003, the moment the 1Ds was available) and as time goes by we learn and the applications get a lot smarter. (ever tried an older raw file from about 8 years old and run it through todays converters? you be amazed about the quality improvement of the conversion of that same file.

I have my Raw files archived on separate disks. I started right away with tiff in 2001 using EOS 30D and lost my sanity for about half a year when I shot jpeg with the 1D because back then people said there was no difference between tif and jpeg, CF cards where pretty expensive in those days. But I still deeply regret this because I can't get very much of those files while tiff from around the same period is much more flexible.

A lot of them on CD and DVD but the past 4 years I started using 2 TB HD's for them. My keepers are archived using Canto Cumulus but this is already growing above 65.000 files so you can imagine the amount of raw material I have stored separately (hence a library structure would not work for my set up).

The raw material is stored based on the shot date (I rename my files with yyyymmdd-sequence number) and when I need the original raw file or one from the same series it takes me a few seconds in Canto to find the shot date of my archived keeper and a few minutes to get the original corresponding original raw file or the series of the files that where not chosen the first round.

If an improved version is needed I process older files from scratch, a bit in ACR and most in PS based on actions using adjustment layers and channel based masks.

I also don't bother about deleting raw files, just use Bridge to sort the files I want to process (star rating, using cmd + . and arrow keys, very fast, combined with filter panel. No problem to sort a few that I like most from (sometimes) hundreds of raw material. The unrated files are copied to the Raw archive. HD is cheap nowadays and keep sorting to reject or dump bad files costs time (as you know also can be money).

Everyone uses his own workflow, the one that suites him or her best. However, don't be afraid to adjust/improve your workflow, I've done so many times. sometimes forced due to changed or even deleted / discontinued options in the applications, sometimes because I liked it, but always to my benefit.

Is just such a shame that these things never seem to work out and its not like these applications cost peanuts either.. you invest a lot of money in a system and then something as simple as an alternative native RAW format comes along and you're back to square one (except with a much lighter wallet!)

I couldn't disagree more with you about this.

You have files of the 5D MK3 and this camera costs more then the total Adobe Master Collection (that is soon not available any longer). Personally (as a full time professional) I have invested in a lot of dSLR, from the 30D in a row the 1D, the 1D2n, the complete 1Ds series and currently the 1Dx.

I also bought every upgrade of Photoshop (except CS5.5) from Photoshop 3 (on floppy disks) to CS6 and currently the Creative Cloud subscription of CS6. I don't have the exact figures but I dare say that the total some of investment of all these upgrades over the years are not even enough to pay half the sum I spend on the EOS 1Dx.

But I did profit from the improved software and earned my money with it. I know that an amateur can't profit financially (at least, if he/she does then using the word amateur is not correct) but being able to pay for a dSLR with some good lenses one should also have no problem with a fraction of those cost for good software to get the most out of their cameras

There are some strong opinions about Creative Cloud (yes, there are some concerns) but look at the bright side. There is still an option to have a fabulous offer to get hold of almost all Adobe applications for about half the money during the first year and after that it is a monthly cost of 50 dollar for the complete set.

That is not for free, I know, but it is also a predictable amount (easy to budget) of money for your software, give you all the latest updates and with current prices still a fraction of your new dSLR. (like it or not, as it seems, in about 5 or 10 years all software likely is being distributed this way, to my opinion they should offer some more options and cheaper for users that only want a few applications but as all large companies, they start high and the market will tell if they can keep going on so)

And remember, Creative Cloud not only offers Photoshop and Bridge, but also Lightroom. And your new dSLR is capable of HD video, Premiere Pro is also included in CC. InDesign and Illustrator are also at hand. All have a pretty steep learning curve (except Bridge) but offer plenty of options you never dreamed of or where able to achieve.

If you have a hobby and want to make the most of it (which you should do when you can afford mid- and high-end dSLR) then you also have to invest in software.

If you are a pro or a semi pro:

it takes money to earn money…

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2013 7:25 AM   in reply to Rocket.1978

Rocket.1978 wrote:

I've easily spent £700-£800 on Adobe software over the last, say, 5 years. So at least a third, probably closer to half the cost of my camera kit. Thats a substantial sum, and I really dont think its too much to ask (hope) for that this should provide pretty much all the answers I need in my software.

You don't understand how Abobe and camera manufacturors work, or cameras work.  If you want to shoot jpeg picutres then any Adobe version will work with the camera.  If you want to shoot camera raw pictures the story is different.  Every time a new camera model is introduced the manufacturor comes out with a new code on how the raw image information is to be decoded.  Since no camera manufacturor want to reveal trade secrets Adobe has to back engineer the product to come up with a code called Adobe Camera Raw (ACR).  This then is a new version, and like cameras is not back version compatable.  So if you want the latest and greatest camera, and shoot RAW, you either have to pay up for new versions of ACR, or convert your RAW images to DNG for free.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 6, 2013 3:27 PM   in reply to Rocket.1978

No problems with agree and disagree, keeps the world alive

And I don't work for Adobe, just work with their products and earn a living with it. I also have the luxury to compare things back in the analog days, working in dark environment with dirty chemicals to print my photo's in black and white.

Would not have missed this but also glad I don't have to do this anymore!

I just wanted to point out that I'm not in favor of complaining about costs when you want the results to be good. Everyone has their own workflow, which is fine by me, even when you work with simple sources and create something other people like so much they want to pay for it.

But like Curt already pointed out it is not Adobe alone being to complain at. I also know Adobe has big revenues and I think it is a bloody shame they did not invest a tiny bit of this enormous sum to improve Bridge which is badly needed.

There is always a way to find something to get angry about, especially when it comes to big companies in common. They generate a lot of money but that is also due to big numbers and world wide operating. Those big companies also employ many people who earn their living and so the world keeps running

If you are happy with second hand gear (nothing wrong with btw) and can manage with older software also fine by me. But if I compare the options 15 years ago to current then I'm glad I have them at hand and also feel good about having helped build this improvement by buying the upgrades so people can keep on developing new features.

It may sound idealistic but if we all want to have a living we also have to pay each other, as simple as that.

There is nothing wrong with consumer power, sometimes things get over the top. Business people always try to get the most and when doing so the market eventually will stop them.

But complaining has to be for good reasons, not just blaming the other for charging to much because you think they do. Fact is that Adobe changed to the creative cloud, which will have to proof itself but regarding the growing subscriptions this is no dead end street and whether you like it or not, many people see benefits they did not see before.

Concerns about being left with nothing when you stop the subscription are justified and we all have to find our way in to this. Fact is also that the growing piracy ( which is theft and means not paying each other and eventually improvements and innovation come to a halt ) was also reason for changing to cloud distribution.

And like Curt also stated, camera vendors keep creating new formats for each new dSLR. And you have to give credit to Adobe they provide free upgrades for ACR on a regular base including those news formats. Not doing so for older versions is understandable in my view, they still produce a new and free DNG converter for each new ACR update and with DNG you can use those files in ACR for a lot of older versions plus leaving you the opportunity to work with all know Raw formats on older versions, whether you paid 3 times software vs camera or 3 times camera vs software. So you still have a choice

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points