Skip navigation
SpiderExpert1
Currently Being Moderated

Transform tool freezes CS6 / OpenGL never works

Jun 3, 2013 4:00 AM

Tags: #photoshop #crash #transform #opengl #tool #freeze #cs6 #cursor

I'm really baffled with this one guys, I've come across hundreds of errors in my time but this just seems impossible.

What is happening is whenever I use any transform tool in Photoshop it will freeze, the window won't go white like frozen windows normally do in W7 but it'll just sit there being completely unresponsive to clicks. The only way to quit is to go into the task manager. The other notable thing is whenever this happens I can't just restart Photoshop, I have to restart Windows completely! it even screws over other Adobe software, Dreamweaver won't work either once this error has occured.

Not only that but OpenGL never works anymore either, it's a huge pain. This one is more random, sometimes it'll happen straight away and other times I can use Photoshop for like thirty minutes before OpenGL stops working. This one's obviously less intrusive but I still enjoy having the OpenGL features on and I'm not sure if the issue is linked to the first.

The only other symptom I can think of is that once the issues start happening (or just before they're about to happen) the cursor will dart very quickly all over the screen. The actual clicks themselves will still happen in the right location but the visual cusor itself will constantly be moving, like half of the time it'll be in its right spot, the other half it'll be in a random position. I've tried unplugging both the tablet and the keyboard/mouse reciever but it still darts everywhere.

Everything else on the computer works fine, it's just Adobe software playing up.

I have tried:

- Adjusting performance options thoroughly

- Disabling graphic card features

- Reinstalling CS6

- Switching to 32 bit CS6

- Reverting back to CS5/CS3 (it still happens on those ones too)

- Trying four different versions of video drivers (320.18, 314.22, 310.70, 306.23)

- Reinstalling Windows 7

Specs:

- Gigabyte GV-N56GOC-1GI Overclocked GTX 560 1GB

- Gigabyte H61M-S2P-B3 LGA1155

- Kingston 8gb 1333mhz ddr3

- Intel sandy bridge Quad-Core i52500K 3.3GHz

- Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate SP1

It'd mean a great deal to me if anyone is willing to help on this one.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 3, 2013 4:36 AM   in reply to SpiderExpert1

See the signs for what they are: Your graphics card is defective.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,925 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 3, 2013 5:50 AM   in reply to SpiderExpert1

If you have tried different versions of Photoshop without change, then that seems to rule out Photoshop, surely?  I was going to suggest trying some of the CS6 features that use graphics card acceleration, like Liquify, but if CS5 shows the same symptoms, there’s not much point.

Your graphics card is overclocked?  Can you disable that temporally?  That seems way too obvious for you not to have tried it though.  Have you run an app like Speccy to watch component temperatures? 

There are lots of hits for the GTX560Ti  having problems.  Could they be relevant?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 13, 2013 7:36 AM   in reply to SpiderExpert1

Hey! Not sure if you're still having this issue or not, but I just updated my display driver and it fixed the issue for me. Dunno why, but I can now use the transform tool with no issues.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 13, 2013 8:16 AM   in reply to SpiderExpert1

I see you've tried different display driver versions...  Have you done any work to ensure you don't have remnants of different display drivers in your system?

Did you once have a different video card in your system?

On another note, have you tried removing the overclocking from the CPU?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 13, 2013 9:36 PM   in reply to SpiderExpert1

SpiderExpert1 wrote:

1: I can't say I have, how would I do that?

Chances are it doesn't apply, since you didn't have a different video card in your system.

But there are programs like DriverSweeper that claim to help clear invalid/outdated drivers from the system.  Note that I have never tried it and can't personally recommend it.

The video card makers have cleaner tools as well (I know ATI has a pretty aggressive one).  I'm not as familiar with nVidia.

Do you have an on-motherboard display chipset as well as the nVidia board you have plugged-in?  If so, is it fully disabled (e.g., in the BIOS)?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points