Skip navigation
Outer Banks Bali
Currently Being Moderated

the best audio interface for audition cs6

Jun 3, 2013 5:26 AM

i just purchased adobe audition cs6, i'm still comfusing to choose which one or what brand is the best audio interface/sound card can work with my audition cs6, thanks for giving solution

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 3, 2013 7:16 AM   in reply to Outer Banks Bali

There's no "best" interface for use with Audition..AA works with a wide range of interface hardware.

Some questions to ask yourself:

-How many simutaneous tracks to you wish to record?

-Of the above, how many mics and how many line sources?

-What's your budget?

-What interconnects can your computer handle?  USB2? Firewire? PCI card?  Expressbus slot?

Two things I probably WOULD be looking for would be an interface with specifically designed ASIO drivers and also with direct hardware monitoring to avoid the latency of a round trip via the interface and computer.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,615 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jun 3, 2013 10:38 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

Just tell us the budget first, and what you're trying to do with Audition - that will automatically limit a lot of the other stuff, regardless!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2013 8:45 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

I'll toss out there that I'm working with a Profire 610 and its pretty badass for all the things I need.  I have enough inputs for most anything except drums and I can do 7.1 surround sound(only mixing 5.1 at the moment).  It only cost me about $200 bucks.  It's a firewire interface.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2013 7:36 PM   in reply to Darren Orange 88

We're still waiting for the OP to come back and let us know what he needs/can afford.  There's no point recommending a basic 2 input interface if he wants to record a rock drum kit...and no point recommending a multichannel interface if he only records a single vocal at a time.

However, one thing I would say is that I strongly suggest steering clear of Firewire interfaces these days.  It's becoming more and more difficult to find computers with Firewire, particularly in the area of laptops.  I also have a Firewire device (a Profire Lightbridge) and went round and round in circles trying to find a suitable laptop to upgrade to, as recently as last November.  In the end, I found a suitable machine with a cardbus slot and bought the necessary Firewire card to fit that way.  With the advent of things like Thunderbolt, I see Firewire as pretty much dead.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2013 10:39 PM   in reply to Bob Howes

hello,

i own 4 maudio profire610 interfaces and love them to bits...a lot of people will trash on them and say they're out of date, etc.  but they are really, really sweet...cheers, j

cheers to darren o...

you can get a firewire pcie card for a desktop or a 32mm express card...

MAKE SURE you get a TI chipset in whatever add on card you get...

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-ProFire-610-Firewire-Interface/dp/B001EH 77R2

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2013 11:40 PM   in reply to tfi productions 44

I'm another M Audio fan (I have a Mobile Pre and a Profire Lightbridge) but I couldn't in good conscience recommend any Firewire interface any longer.  As an interface format, it's on the way out.  Yeah, you can buy PCI cards for desk tops still--but more and more people are demanding laptops or "all in one" desktops without the PCI bus. 

On laptops, it's not just Firewre that's hard to find--Express Card slots are pretty rare these days.  I went through all this about six months ago looking for an upgraded laptop for my stuff.  The situation can only get worse.

I'd strongly suggest that, whatever your required spec for an interface, you stick to USB2 for now.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,615 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jun 7, 2013 2:10 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

Bob Howes wrote:

Yeah, you can buy PCI cards for desk tops still--but more and more people are demanding laptops or "all in one" desktops without the PCI bus. 

On laptops, it's not just Firewre that's hard to find--Express Card slots are pretty rare these days.  I went through all this about six months ago looking for an upgraded laptop for my stuff.  The situation can only get worse.

The PCI bus is still there internally in the laptop as far as I'm aware - it's just that providing an external socket giving access to it takes up room and costs money. Simply can't be justified for the half a dozen people who want access to it, apparently... (which is a PITA). And as for why no Firewire - well that's harder to explain, because it takes up far less real estate on the case exterior, and very little extra electronics inside.

But overall, 'expansion' in terms of laptops is a dirty word nowadays. But there again, it's looking rather more like laptops themselves will be as well in the not-too-distant future, as you've observed.

I have two Firewire interfaces, and one of them's just going up for sale, pretty much because of the laptop situation. The other one also functions as a mic pre to ADAT converter, so I'm keeping it.

If you want a really good solution for a laptop (or desktop come to that), get an RME Fireface UFX. What is currently unique about it* is that it also provides you with a built-in backup recorder** for all inputs, straight to an external drive. It can cope with either Firewire or USB2 connections, and it works brilliantly.

* I can't see this remaining the case for long - it's too good an idea!

** Or if you're like me, Audition becomes the backup...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 2:17 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Of course, as soon as the FW/USB2 combo catches on, along will come Thunderbolt and USB3.

Frankly, I'm wonder if (in the near future) audio users will stop using things like USB/FW/Thunderbolt etc. and just have a single CAT5 or CAT6 connection.  In the live sound world, more and more mixers are being set up to have remote control mic pre amps in a stage box connected back to the mixer with a single run of network cable.

There's no reason this couldn't work just as well for connecting an interface box to a computer in a recording situation.

...well, at least I hope something gets sorted out before the next time I have to upgrade!

(To the OP, none of this actually exists now--you should be looking at USB.)

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,615 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jun 7, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

Bob Howes wrote:

Of course, as soon as the FW/USB2 combo catches on, along will come Thunderbolt and USB3.

RME have said that their USB interface is USB3 chipset-compatible, although exactly what that means remains to be seen...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 5:26 PM   in reply to Bob Howes

"We're still waiting for the OP to come back and let us know what he needs/can afford. "

I'm not the OP, but I'll tell you what my needs are.

Really good 2-channel 16-bit 44.1K recording (define "really good" any way you wish, but people pay me for this.  Not much, but they pay me, none the less)

5.1 monitoring in Adobe Audition (I make surround mixes of multitrack recordings captured on another system for fun)

USB interface if possible.  Otherwise PCI with a breakout box.

Under $200

Is this do-able?  Or do I need to up my budget?

J. D.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 3:25 AM   in reply to jdmack01

You say 2 channel but then go on to say that you need 5.1 monitoring. In that case you need an interface with at least 6 channel output which may take you a bit over budget. Also most decent interfaces will probably go up to 96kHz 24 bit.

Something like this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett6i6/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 6:57 PM   in reply to ryclark

Something like this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett6i6/

Hmm.  Interesting.  I'll keep that in mind.  Thanks!

J. D.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 11:17 PM   in reply to jdmack01

Doesn't the 6i6 have only 4 analogue outputs plus a couple of digital?  If so, you'd need exactly the right gear to be able to use everything.

Ideally you'd have something with 6 or more analogue outs--but I don't know of any of those that fit your budget.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points