Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to reinstall Bridge CS6?

Jun 4, 2013 7:15 AM

After severe trouble with Bridge CS6 (did not start up anymore) I decided to uninstall and reinstall it to get rid of the problems.

But, how can I reinstall Bridge since it is not listed in the Apllication Manager?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 4, 2013 7:26 AM   in reply to Puntkolk

Please try Reinstalling the PS CS6, it shall install along with it.

Moving this Discussion to Bridge Forums.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2013 7:55 AM   in reply to Puntkolk

If you had major problems it might be wise to download and run the Adobe Script Cleaner, then reinstall CS6.

And yes, Bridge is a part of PS and not a seperate product.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2013 8:05 AM   in reply to Puntkolk

Did you try opening the bridge, holding the Ctrl and Alt key, its used to Reset the Preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2013 2:23 AM   in reply to Puntkolk

Like Curt said, use the Adobe cleaner. If you reinstall, this doesn't account for files and settings left behind when it's removed, which can mess up a new installation.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 5, 2013 6:09 AM   in reply to Puntkolk

But now my Application Manager says all programs are up to date, without showing a new download and install for Photoshop and InDesign.

Check your preferences in Adobe Application Manager (the triangle next to your name you are logged in with), the updates are language specific. Also be sure to scroll down the window AAM because both indesign and Photoshop are at the bottom of the list.

Bridge is installed with Photoshop.

An other option is to log out and log in again. Also best to keep AAM prefs at default for installation (both settings in same location as prefs in AAM).

If you still have an incomplete list in AAM you should contact Adobe Customer Support directly, they should be able to help you in that case.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2013 8:13 AM   in reply to Puntkolk

I'm having the same issue. I was having a lot of problems with Bridge so, after no avail on the forums, someone suggested I uninstall it. I couldn't figure out how to reinstall it so I used the adobe cleaner to get rid of all photoshop files. I then reinstalled photoshop CS6 but Bridge didn't come back. Like you I can't see a way to seperately download Bridge but can't understand why Bridge isn't being installed when I install photoshop.

Please let me know if you find anything helpful! I've been trying to fix this for days. Round two of uninstalling (this time ALL adobe products) is currently underway.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2013 8:37 AM   in reply to Puntkolk

Thanks! I'm in the middle of reinstalling everything. We'll see how it goes. Uninstalling everything was a pain - not as easy as most mac programs (with the drag and drop into trash option). I think I still left some scripts behind but hopefully not. Somewhat ironically I just removed everything on time machine so I could use that harddrive for something else temporarily. Go figure. Worst comes to worst I'll just have to sit on the phone with customer service for a good while. If it comes down to that I, too, will let you know how it goes.

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2013 8:52 AM   in reply to ACyclingMind

Not a Mac guy but with Windows drag and drop in trash is a real no no.  You have to use the uninstaller.  Even so you may not gain much without running the Adobe Script cleaner to get rid of bits and pieces left behind.  Guys in Premier Pro forum suggest running it 3 times and rebooting computer each time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Three times? Crap. I only did it once. I wonder why that would be.

With macs dragging files into the trash is completely OK - for most. It atomatically uninstalls the files that have been dragged. Some larger programs, or programs that weren't built with that in mind, need to be uninstalled with their own program. In some ways its nice. In some ways it's a pain.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 5, 2013 9:02 AM   in reply to ACyclingMind

not as easy as most mac programs (with the drag and drop into trash option).

Only simple applications can be done so but then all other info written to libraries like prefs and presets are still on your machine.

Since you are both on a Mac can you both specify your machine (type, RAM, free disk space left and OS version)

To clarify

I'm on a MacPro with 32 GB RAM and SSD having always at least 25 % free and a separate scratch disk for PS dedicated.

Using 10.8.3 I have CS6 via Creative Cloud and also Indesign, Illustrator and Premiere Pro and Acrobat Pro installed without any problems.

You can uninstall using the official uninstallers that are either in the parent application folders or in the Utilities folder / Adobe installers, inhere are all uninstallers.

Once thing have been messed up the fastest way is to back up all important settings (presets, keywords, actions and all other customized settings and third party plug ins)

Then use the uninstallers combined with deleting prefs and use the Adobe Cleaner tool (read the instruction before starting to uninstall) The clean tool removes most preferences and settings left but there will be still some files left on your system.

Mostly user library preferences and application support.

You can check your self or use 'easy find' (free search engine from Devon) to get other left overs from Adobe visible.

Then do system maintenance with check and repair disk permissions and finally install CS6 again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2013 9:31 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Whoooooo! Got it working! I uninstalled everything and installed it over again. Bridge is back. I'm now getting an error about Bridge being unable to read the cache but I believe that is for a different forum.

I hope all goes smootly with your Adobe products, Puntkolk! Best of luck.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 10, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to Puntkolk

except for... Bridge CS6. The program icon shortly pops up in my taskbar but disappears without a warning and then nothing happens.

As far as I understood you are on Mac OSX

In the user library (by default hidden per OSX 10.7 - use menu go and press option to reveal it) are some folders and files you should delete manually.

1 - User (your username) / library / Caches / Adobe / Bridge CS6. inhere are a plug in and a folder called Cache. Grab both items and drag to the trash.

2 - User / library / Preferences. inhere find and delete the Bridge plist file This would be: 'com.adobe.bridge5.plist' because in CS6 is Bridge version 5. If you have other plist files for Bridge versions also delete those.

Then restart Bridge holding down option key and choose reset preferences. try again.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 11, 2013 2:35 AM   in reply to Puntkolk

still nothing happens, the icon vanishes after jumping.

try a new user account, create one just for testing, log in on that account and see if it works there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 7:11 AM   in reply to Puntkolk

This is a difficult choice.  Your old account appears not to work.  Why, no one knows, so you can continue to probe solutions as there is some setting, permission level, corrupted file, or missing link.  This may not be in Bridge, but even the OS.  The other option is just to use the new account and move on.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 11, 2013 2:36 PM   in reply to Puntkolk

But what if I want to stick to my old user account?

Make sure you have a back up of the content of your user account and then run recovery disk (used to be the old 'archive and install') to recreate your user library with repaired or replaced files and it should leave your other files untouched.

Sometimes a Combo Update of your system also might do some miracles.

Google first for combo update and recovery disk and see if this is for you.

Otherwise like Curt said, start again.

Not very difficult, you can copy most to the new account, some files like presets for apps can be found in the old user library, also mail etc.

It is completely up to you. Fact is, something screwed your current account, might be Bridge, might be some other application, might be some third party virus or cleaner that deleted some needed files accidentally, very hard to tell and more time consuming to find out then using Apple recovery disk or new user

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 7:57 PM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Omke Oudeman wrote:

…and then run recovery disk (used to be the old 'archive and install')…

Daag Omke,

Would you be so kind to indicate where I may find this?

I know it's not in Tiger or in Tiger Install DVDs, which is what I run on my G5 Quad (10.4.11), but I'm in the processing of unpacking an older Mac Pro 1,1 Quad that I acquired very, very inexpensively, and which is represented to come with Lion (exact version not yet known).  That Recovery Disk would be a godsend if it gets installed on the boot HD.

Met vriendelike groeten.  :-)

s_2

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jun 12, 2013 12:26 AM   in reply to station_two

but I'm in the processing of unpacking an older Mac Pro 1,1 Quad that I acquired very, very inexpensively, and which is represented to come with Lion (exact version not yet known).  That Recovery Disk would be a godsend if it gets installed on the boot HD.

Nice to have access to a Mac Pro Station-Two, even if it is not a recent one it still is a 'mean machine'

Recovery disk should be installed automatically on your boot disk when having Lion or Mountain Lion installed.

To use the Recovery disk restart your Mac holding down cmd + R. But for that you also need an internet connection and some patience. It is possible to create your own recovery disk on a USB stick (at least 8GB for comfort).

Check also this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Your machine will only accept Lion 10.7 because Mountain Lion needs at least a Mac Pro 3.1 to be compatible.

And to my memory OSX 10.7.5 is the most recent version for Lion and I'm not sure you still can get it on the App Store. I believe it should be in the US but currently in the Netherlands it is not available anymore unless you had bought it before, then it shows still as a possible download.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points