Skip navigation
rbjohns49
Currently Being Moderated

Removing Xvidly

Jun 5, 2013 2:45 PM

When installing the trial version of Dreamwearver also installed was the ad program Xvidly. Now I've bought the program how do one remove the dam ad program Xvidly? It's lock on to my system guys.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 5, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to rbjohns49

Where did you get this trial version of DW?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2013 6:47 PM   in reply to rbjohns49

Hi rbjohns49,

From what I see from search results Xvidly is malware that you will have to remove. It is unlikely that the Dreamweaver installation has anything to do with it. I found a solution on a Microsoft site http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-securit y/how-to-remove-xvidly/f96e8038-8def-4fbf-9a30-7c4933f05541 that could possibly help you. There are third party tools that claim to remove the software, but I cannot vouch for their veracity.

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to rbjohns49

Then the problem is with your browser, not with Dreamweaver. You would have to figure out how to remove Xvidly from the browser.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2013 12:28 PM   in reply to rbjohns49

XVidly is a "browser extension toolbar"  that has been identified as a browser hijacker.  It has the ability to navigate your browsing activities, redirect you to other sites, change your browser settings and automatically installs other malware.  XVidly should be treated as a virus and removed ASAP.

http://www.removepcthreat.com/remove-xvidly-infection-quick-and-easy-w ay-to-remove-xvidly/

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2013 2:14 PM   in reply to rbjohns49

Do you have anti-virus and anti-spyware software on your system? 

Have you tried running a full system scan?

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2013 2:15 PM   in reply to rbjohns49

I think it's exceptionally unlikely that the DW download was responsible for this. Sorry to disagree, but if that were the case then this forum would be absolutely clogged with complaints.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2013 2:39 PM   in reply to rbjohns49

Don't download any software from the link provided in post #8.  It is a classic example of extortion using modern technology.  You won't be able to remove anything until you buy the software from those people in that link.  There is no gurantee their software will work.

If you don't know how to remove viruses from your machine then go and find a geek on your high street who will do it for you for a fee.  Also make sure the system is fully protected using good Anti-virus program like Microsoft Security Essential (for windows up to 7) or Windows Defender (For windows 8).  This is a free download provided courtesy of Steve Ballmer.

Adobe Hacker here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2013 3:09 PM   in reply to Adobe.Hacker

For the record... IMHO...Microshaft (in)security essentials is absolute POO (for lack of a more polite descriptive).
    It's what my brother was using for his Internet security/antivirus and it let in the FBI virus, resulting in a COMPLETE reformat last month.
    TrendMicro or AVG are both better than McAfee or Norton (Symantec), because you can disable either of them temporarily if need be. Also McAfee is a nightmare to remove if you ever have to. It's worse than the viruses it's supposed to protect you from.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2013 4:25 PM   in reply to rbjohns49

I only make that statement because using the browser prior to the download there never was the issue.

Coincidence.  Just because the browser wasn't misbehaving up to that point doesn't mean you weren't already infected.   Often, it takes several days for malware to take hold of your system.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2013 4:33 PM   in reply to rbjohns49

>I only make that statement because using the browser prior to the download there never was the issue.

RB - malware oftens sits idly for a while before it becomes noticeably active. This is a scheme to make it harder to detect where/when it originated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2013 6:15 PM   in reply to rbjohns49

rbjohns49 wrote:

The computer was only a week old, mainly setup for developing 3D graphics using Animation Master (AM). The only online stuff was for updates. Then it was shut down. The other machines I have seem to be Ok and they are on the network all the time.

It's a common myth that viruses will "infect" a computer just because it's connected.  99% of all "infections" occur as a result of a user action online. Be it a click on something or opening an email or a page that has code to execute a file when it is "hit" by the browser. The rest are the result of hacking.

Then, as bregent pointed out, a lot of the time, you won't know you're infected for hours, days or even weeks, and then suddenly.... BAM!

Anti-virus and a strong firewall are your best defense, and DON'T (whatever you do) trust Microsoft for security. Remember, XP is nearly thirteen years old and they're STILL writing security patches for it to plug stuff they've missed after all this time. How good could their "protection" be if they can't even build a secure OS to begin with?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 12:40 AM   in reply to rbjohns49

@rbjohns49,

Xvidly is a stubborn adware, removing or uninstalling it through conventional methods would give out no results at all. I think you might have tried the control Panel as well to uninstall the program out of computer system. If no, try it now. If yes, and still that adware is bugged in, then you can use automatic removal tool to remove it.

You can take a reference over here; http://blog.spyhunter.us.com/delete-xvidly-complete-removal-guidelines -of-xvidly-completely-from-the-pc

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points