Skip navigation
lizdeg01
Currently Being Moderated

cs6 Indesign files won't open

Jun 5, 2013 7:49 PM

My ID icons are now white and file type reads indd, not indesign.  None of my files will open anymore.  I get an error message that the files is either corrupt or not supported. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 5, 2013 7:57 PM   in reply to lizdeg01

Hi Lizdeg01,

It sounds like the File association is a bit messed up for InDesign file.

Could you please let us know the operating system you are working ?

Also, what happen when you open the files from within Indesign ? (Opening InDesign and then File>open)

Thanks,

Manish Sharma

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2013 1:40 AM   in reply to lizdeg01

lizdeg01 wrote:

I recently upgraded to cs6 and uninstalled my cs5 because every time I would open indesign it would open in the old version first.

Uninstalling older versions AFTER installing new ones is problem for ID. It removes some of the common files and casues exactly this sort of problem. You should reinstall ID.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 11:16 AM   in reply to lizdeg01

Sorry, just come across this. Rinstalling CS6 should correct the problems cause by uninstalling CS5 after you installed CS6 the first time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 6:21 AM   in reply to lizdeg01

If you are going to install multiple versions you should install in chronological order, and if you want uninstall old versions that should be done before installing new ones. Sounds like once again the icon handler dll file is damaged. Since it sounds like just reinstalling CS6 did not work the first time, I'd uninstall both CS5 and CS6 and then run the cleaner tool (CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3) before you try to reinstall. I'd also run MSconfig to turn off unnecessary startup programs and services just before you do the reinstall (How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista). You can run MSconfig again after to restore normal startup.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points