Skip navigation
RoysScreenName
Currently Being Moderated

Steve Steve Grisetti vs Bill Hunt & "Classroom in a Book" - cognitie dissonance?

Jun 6, 2013 12:28 PM

Tags: #dpi #steve_grisetti #bill_hunt #cognitive_dissonance

Bill Hunt suggested that I size my animations, created in Photoshop and ImageReady, to 1920 x 1080 pixels at 72-dpi for optimal viewing on a 24" widescreen monitor. Ditto both Classroom in a Book and Premiere Elements itself, as regards the intake from my video camera.

Steve Grisetti on the other hand gives a size of 1000 x 750 as a "standard definition video" and recommends a size of 2000 x 1500 for a still of a map that is to be zoomed in and out of, and to slide across the viewing frame.

This is what's called "cognitive dissonance."

Anyone have a clarification of this?

Roy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 6, 2013 1:44 PM   in reply to RoysScreenName

Well, not so much a cognitive dissonance as different applications of the similar principle.

The main point is to not use oversized graphics in your videos. It's the chief cause of program memory overloads.

1920x1080 pixels is the size of a high-definition video frame. That's how large you'd like any video or animation you plan to use in a high-def project. For graphics that you plan to pan and zoom across, you'll want some extra resolution. 2000x1500 is a good rule of thumb, but you can use a graphic even 50% or more larger if you need to for the pan and zoom effect you're looking for.

The point is to not use a graphic much larger than the video frame you're filling. Doing so just taxes the program. (That and the program has a maximum graphic size that it can work with.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 5:24 AM   in reply to RoysScreenName

For videos for Kickstarter, I'd recommend you use (in version 11) Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD with the preset for YouTube HD. This will give you the best quality to size ratio.

As for maximum photo size, maybe one of the others on this forum knows the exact maximum size. I rarely use photos larger than 2500 pixels wide. There's just no point to it -- you don't get better image quality -- and even it's a rare occasion. As I've said, the closer you are to the actual resolution of your video frame (which, for high-def video is 1920x1080) the better your program's performance and the better your results.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 7:45 AM   in reply to RoysScreenName

I've given you my recommendations for Publish & Share, Roy. Give it a try and see what you think of the results. If you're not happy with it, you can try the Flash output.

I'm not sure what to tell you about zooming into a huge graphic to show various stops around the world. You certainly won't be able to use a graphic in Premiere Elements that's large enough to include all that detail.

I've been working on a similar graphic to show my stops along the coast of California. I tried a huge, detailed map at first -- but not even After Effects would accept it. So I used a 2000x1500 map of California and, whenever I'd zoom in on a location, cross-fade to detailed map of a given city. It worked great, and it still gives the impression of flying in and out on a map.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 10:42 AM   in reply to RoysScreenName

I acknowledge Steve G's experience with this.  However, I regularly disagree on the point of resizing images.

I disagree on two levels.  One is that there is more than enough to do while making a video without adding extra steps and other programs to the work flow.  The second is that it does not seem to slow my computer down at all.  Granted, I have a i7 computer with 16 gigs of memory.  It seems to not care about file size. 

I arrived at this discovery as a PrE newbie. I didn't know anything about resizing until I read that it was necessary on this forum.  In fact I didn't know how either.  So, in a 70 minute family reunion video project I added photos from various cameras to the Video 2 track wherever my Video 1 track had a bit of poor quality in it.  Most were .jpgs.  Looking at the screen, the project looked like a mess, but it played well. 

When this topic came up before, I spend a day trying to figure it out with various workflow "tests".  I posted the results on YouTube or Vimeo.

I've also searched the "official" Adobe instructions and can't find even the word "resize".

In a recent slide show project I used a bunch of huge RAW photo files.  PrE11 incorporates Adobe Camera Raw somewhere "under the hood" and it worked fine. 

Steve works hard at his excellent books and training videos and Bill Hunt has many years of experience.  I'm retired and play with this.  I'm sure there were versions running on older, weaker computers where photo files caused problems.  I'm also convinced that 64 bit PrE11 on newer computers have overcome those issues. 

I don't resize anything!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 12:15 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

The published max. size WAS 4096 x 4096 pixels, or 16,777,216 total pixels. I say WAS, because that was also the old max. size for PrPro too. However, with PrPro CS 5, with CUDA/MPE acceleration, that was bumped up considerably. However, as PrE does not use CUDA/MPE, I doubt that it got the bump, but I cannot find any definitive statement on PrE 11.

Now, it does not take all that many 4096 x 4096 pixel Images, before most computers will "run out of gas," and especially if it is running a 32-bit OS. Because of that, I would limit the use of very large Still Images, even if the program CAN Import them.

Good luck, and sorry to be so late to the party. Also, glad that others handled the Kickstart end of the thread, as I have no idea what that is.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 5:35 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

....... I cannot find any definitive statement on PrE 11.

Now, it does not take all that many 4096 x 4096 pixel Images, before most computers will "run out of gas," and especially if it is running a 32-bit OS. Because of that, I would limit the use of very large Still Images, even if the program CAN Import them.

Hunt

Now we are beginning to agree. 

I put 40 full size DNGs and 10 AVCHD 1080p60 video files into a recent project.  The DNGs are 5460 x 3068 and 80 MB each out of an HDR process.  PrE11 didn't flinch  -- not even a little.  My laptop does have an i7, 16 GB of RAM, 64 bit Win 7 and a SSD.  I'm sure the project would choke a Window XP vintage machine.  But, the weak spot is the machine, NOT PrE11.

Bill, you have new laptop.  Try dragging 50 or a 100 full sized RAW photos into fresh PrE11 and see how it does.  Make sure the project settings are forced at AVCHD 1080p60.  Add some transitions and put some Pan & Zoom on them.  I'll bet a bottle of Washington wine for (next winter's consumption in AZ) that you will find it works ver well. 

My point in several threads over the last several months is that you should not write that photos need to be re-sized.  Instead you an Mr. Grissetti should consider writing, "Depending on the strength of your computer, you may find resizing will improve the performance of PrE11.  Strong computers may show no change in performance from resizing of photos and in may not be at all necessary."

As a side note, if you have not done it, try a Help > Update check.  If you have a fresh install you will probably have ACR 7.1.  No, I don't now how to check what it is.  But, if you do the update, ACR 7.4 will install.  There is something under the hood that uses ACR and it is not video clips!  It appears to me that Adobe has gradually turned PrE into an NLE that will make slide shows and put them into MP4s that play well on YouTube and Vimeo.

Let me know if I need to bring that bottle of wine. 

Bill (the other one)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points