Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge updated unexpectedly, now Photoshop Tools don't work

Jun 7, 2013 8:50 AM

Tags: #photoshop #5.5 #creative_cloud

Hi, all;

I have Web Premium CS 5.5, which I am quite happy with, but I also have a Cloud subscription so that I can use CS products on my laptop (my management decided it was easier to do that than dig up the physical media when my laptop was purchased).

Recently, I needed InDesign (not part of Web Premium) and installed it from my Cloud subscription. Now, when I select Browse folder with Adobe Bridge, it brings up the CS6 version, not the CS5.5 version. I wouldn't mind much, but the PhotoShop tools menu item doesn't appear (this is about 50% of what I do with Bridge). I can manually open the CS 5.5 version, but of course this is not as convenient as the right-click option, plus the CS 5.5 version is no longer stable (it crashes a lot).

How do I either get the PhotoShop Tools menu to work in Bridge? Alternatively, how can I get the right-click menu to point to my unstable version of 5.5? I can live with the instability if I can keep it open long enough to at least do what I need to do.

Thanks;

Amy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 7, 2013 8:56 AM   in reply to Amy Blankenship

In Bridge click on edit/startup scripts.  Make sure there is a check mark at least for Bridge and Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 9:09 AM   in reply to Amy Blankenship

Are you saying you do not have Photoshop CS6 in the startup script window?  That would be odd.  It may not be checked however.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 9:25 AM   in reply to Amy Blankenship

OK, now I am confused.  Do you want to use CS5.5 for photoshop tools (which you said was unstable), or do you want to use CS6 photoshop tools which you said you did not want to install?  If you do not have CS6 PS installed you can't use the tools.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 9:35 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Should add if you want something to open in CS5 then have it running before the selection is made.  Otherwise if using CS6 Bridge it will open CS6 PS.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 9:46 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Also, CS5 Bridge is better than CS6 Bridge.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 11:27 AM   in reply to Amy Blankenship

As you know Adobe staff almost never visits this site, and it is extremely rare they address an issue, so you are stuck with us.

Bridge CS6 is probably a part of Indesign CS6 and as such does not have a seperate uninstaller.

Since you can only have one Bridge open at any time if you have CS5.5 running CS6 will not launch.

Do you have PS CS5.5 installed and working??

If so in CS5.5 if you go to edit/preferences/start up scripts you should have a line for Bridge CS5 and Photoshop CS5.  Both should be checked.  If not they can not communicate and in Tools photoshop with image processor, etc. will not be available. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to Amy Blankenship

No, almost never any Staff here.  Adobe's policy is that you visit the Forums on your own time.

From the OP you said the Photoshop Tools Menu did not work.  Now you say when you right click on a folder nothing happens.  When I right click on a folder I get a drop down menu to Open, Cut, Copy, etc.  What is it you are trying to do?  Has nothing to do with Photoshop Tools.  We are on post #11 and the issue is still not clear.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 1:09 PM   in reply to Amy Blankenship

What OS are you using?

If you are on Windows are you talking about opening Bridge on a selected folder or file?

Then this will be a registry entry.

This is how I've set up the registry to open a selected document in Bridge CS6

1. Run regedit.exe

2. Navigate to "My Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell" and select "shell"

3. Edit > New > Key

4. Name it Show In Bridge

5. Make sure this new key is selected

6. Edit > New > Key (again)

7. Name it command

8. With this key selected, double-click on the (Default) value in the righthand pane.

9. enter: "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CS6 (64 Bit)\Bridge.exe" "%L"

10. Exit regedit.

You can alter the path to the version of Bridge you want to invoke.

If you are on a Mac sorry can't help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 5:58 PM   in reply to Amy Blankenship

Amy Blankenship wrote:

When I right-click the wrong thing happens (opens Bridge CS6 rather than CS 5.1).

This is set by preferences/file associaton.  If you want CS5 to open specific extensions you will have to browse for photoshop CS5.exe if not already an option.  Set as default.

As I have said from the beginning, if PhotoShop tools can't be made to work properly from Bridge CS6

Photoshop Tools (Tools/Photoshop) will only work if CS6 Photoshop is installed and the Startup Scirpts are checked for both Bridge CS6 and Photoshop CS6.

You have never said if Tools/Photoshop works in CS5.1.  You use both 5.1 and 5.5 in your statements, assume that is same program, or do you have 5.1, 5.5, and 6?   I have never figured out what 5.5 was.

You say CS5.5 is unstable.  Does it crash, lock up, give error messages?  Do you have version CS5?  That is my favorite version. Never figured out what 5.1 was all about.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 8, 2013 2:26 PM   in reply to Amy Blankenship

if PhotoShop tools can't be made to work properly from Bridge CS6, launching CS 5.1 from the right-click menu would be an alternate fix that would be acceptable.

Bridge works version specific, so CS6 is not easy to use with CS5.5 due to the start up scripts used for the menu Tools. Indesign, Illustrator and I believe also Premiere Pro are the other applications capable of working with Bridge and when only installing one of these apps from the Creative Cloud they also install Bridge CS6 form the Creative Cloud.

All settings for some reason auto select the newest version, on a Mac for example the finder always used to set itself to the latest installed Photoshop version as default application to pen with, I recall this was hard to avoid, maybe it is still the issue.

However you still have the CS5.5 installed that will offer the wished behavior.

You could try to start Bridge CS5.5 manual and the restart Photoshop holding down shiftoptionCommand (Mac, don't know the Windows equivalent) to reset its preferences and force them to the open CS5.5.

But personally I would not use the Browse in Bridge command in PS itself. I always have both Bridge and PS active and running from log in and never use the Browse in Bridge command.

Using this command does need to open Bridge or auto switches to the latest version, Having Bridge already up and running saves time in caching and with a work space customized with a folder panel in view is much easier to navigate

And of course, there is no objection to download also PSCS6 from the CC, I really don't agree with earlier versions being better. Only Bridge CS3 was a very bad version, yet it was in its way better then the first version of Bridge that appeared in CS2. CS3 had much more options but was very unstable (not unusable if you dumped the cache and prefs every few weeks).

The difference between Bridge CS5.5 and CS6 is a different Cache structure. It claims to be again faster and more stable but some Windows users on this forum sadly enough can't confirm this due to slow criteria building.

Personally I experience CS6 faster and better then CS5

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2013 4:39 PM   in reply to Amy Blankenship

Amy Blankenship wrote:

…Is there any way to flag a post here to bring it to the attention of the Adobe staff? I'm thinking this is beyond the scope of what user-to-user support can accomplish, because it seems to be caused by a bug in the InDesign installer.

Not only is it futile to attempt to use these forums to reach Adobe, but additionally, CS5.x is no longer supported by Adobe in any way, shape or form.

Finally, the Adobe installer team(s) are totally separate from the point-products engineering teams, and they are the bane of the existence of Adobe Photoshop engineers. Some Adobe managers have expressed frustration at not being able to say in public what they would like to to to the members of the installer teams and their necks.

As to your specific issue,  the newest version of Photoshop installed on your computer will take precedence. 

Inconsistency between or among applications in the artificial "suites" should come as no surprise.

The "suite" concept is a fabrication of Adobe marketing and bean-counting types.  The engineering teams are totally independent of each other, they are not only in different buildings but in different cities and states of the American Union, even in different countries.

The fact that they have little if any communication among them is highlighted by requests occasionally made in these forums by top Adobe engineers to let the other teams know when there are problems in one application that impact our workflow in another one.

Message was edited by: station_two

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points