Skip navigation
Hessijames
Currently Being Moderated

Problem installing and updating applications using the Application Manager on Mac

Jun 8, 2013 4:35 PM

After subscribing to Creative Cloud I downloaded and installed the Application manager. Selecting "Installieren" (install) on an application successfully initiates the download and extraction. After that the Application Manager just shows "Auf Installation warten..." (waiting for installation). This statet, however, doesn't change at all. Even after waiting for an hour there is no installation. Trying to update a manually installed application even freezes in "Auf Installation warten...". In case of Photoshop it even mounts a DMG but does not show any visual sign of actually installing the application.

Adobe Application Manager 7.0.0.324 on Mac OS X 10.8.4.

Removing and reinstalling the Application Manager did not solve the problem even after uninstalling all Adobe apps and running the cleaner tool. Reboots did not help either.

Any help will be appreciated.

/Edit:

Starting the AAM as root using the Terminal solved my problem:

# '/Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE/PDApp/core/PDApp.app/Contents/MacOS/PDApp'

See also: http://limerdm.wordpress.com/2010/12/31/adobe-application-manager-upda ter-fun/

Hessi

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 19, 2013 3:45 AM   in reply to Hessijames

Can you share the update log which could help us know what might the cause of the issue ?

• Windows 32 bit (XP, Vista, 7): \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Installers\

• Windows 64 bit (XP, Vista, 7): \Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installers

• Mac OS: /Library/Logs/Adobe/Installers/

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/troubleshoot-install-logs-cs5 -cs5.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 12:05 PM   in reply to Hessijames

Hessijames did you review your installation logs for the words ERROR and FATAL to determine what caused the installation to fail?  In message #3 it appears you did locate the install logs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 12:25 PM   in reply to Hessijames

Yes Hessijames you have posted your download logs.  I would recommend you review the logs you identified in message #3. 

If you are looking for direct support with reviewing the installation logs then please contact our support team.   You can contact our chat support at http://adobe.ly/yxj0t6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 12:33 PM   in reply to Hessijames

Hessijames without being able to view your installation logs it is not possible to advise you on the next steps for you to complete.  You can find full details on steps to review and interpret your installation logs at Troubleshoot with install logs | CS5, CS5.5, CS6 - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/troubleshoot-install-logs-cs5 -cs5.html.

Do you also have a case number from your interaction with our support team which I can review?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 1:16 PM   in reply to Hessijames

From the portion of the installation log you have posted it looks like you are facing file permission issues.  In specific the portion I am looking at is as follows:

19:15:01:139 | [ERROR] |  | OOBE | DE |  |  |  | 3158354 | DF037: Unable to delete directory "/Users/pr/Library/Preferences". Check and correct folder & parent directory permissions and then try again.(Seq 12679)

/Library/Logs/Adobe/Installers/Adobe Premiere Pro CC 7.0.0 06-24-2013.log.gz:06/24/13 19:15:01:150 | [ERROR] |  | OOBE | DE |  |  |  | 3158354 | DF037: Unable to delete directory "/Library/Preferences". Check and correct folder & parent directory permissions and then try again.(Seq 12680)

It would appear that you will want to adjust file permissions on the User/pr/Library/Preferences folder.  You can find details on how to adjust your file permissions at Troubleshoot with install logs | CS5, CS5.5, CS6 - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/troubleshoot-install-logs-cs5 -cs5.html.  Please make sure to apply any permissions changes to the enclosed objects.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 1:50 PM   in reply to Hessijames

Hess it should not be removing the entire preferences folder.  It is more likely that it was verifying that the directory was in a writeable state.

I don't know what installation logs you have posted but I would recommend reviewing the installation log specific to the update you are attempting to apply.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to Hessijames

Patrick can you please update your contact information under your account to include a phone number.  I have submitted a request for a member of our support team to contact you.  Since we only have your e-mail information on file they will likely attempt to contact you via your e-mail address at <Removed by Moderator>.

For your refernece it appears the support case from your previous interaction is 184435510.  You can reference your support case and your contact information under your account at http://www.adobe.com/.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to Hessijames

Certainly I have removed the domain.  From the records I reviewed yesterday I did not see a phone number listed.  Please review the e-mail address associated with your account as it is likely you will be contacted there first.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 11:50 AM   in reply to Hessijames

Patrick I would still encourage you to update your account information.  I checked and we still have no phone number associated with your account.  Also case 184440180 got closed pending any updates.  It should be available under your support cases at http://www.adobe.com/.

Thank you for the update.  Happy to hear you were able to get the update installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 5:26 PM   in reply to Hessijames

Patrick I have requested a member of our support team contact you.  They should be contacting you via the e-mail address on your account.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 11:38 AM   in reply to Hessijames

I am having the same problem and a similar experience. At least I can say reading Hessijames' responses in this thread has been therapeutic.

I too found running the creative cloud updates under a different admin user on my Mac worked.

Ryan

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 8:12 AM   in reply to Hessijames

Patrick to confirm you are stating that the behavior you are experiencing is confined to a single User account?  If you create a new local administrator account you no longer face the same difficulties?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2013 11:21 PM   in reply to Hessijames

For what it's worth, I'm having the exact same problem - updates to any application from Creative Cloud will not install with my usual user account, they just hang indefinitely. I tried uninstalling and cleaning everything Adobe, didn't help.

Thanks to this thread I've now circumvented the problem with the awkward solution of using fast user switching to log in as a dummy admin user, who can then install the updates that become available to my normal account as well. But clearly there is a bug with Adobe's installers being unable to set up the right privileges in some cases.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2013 10:49 AM   in reply to Hessijames

The problem I have with running Creative Cloud as a different user via sudo is that the "Home" page is loading forever and taking up CPU. It works fine if I actually switch to the different user account, so I'm guessing there's another issue of privileges with the sudo, i.e., it tries to access some resource that is only available to the signed-in user.

Also, you should use "sudo -b" instead of "&" to background the command; the ampersand backgrounds sudo itself, while "sudo -b" tells sudo to background the command it launches. This also avoids having to do the NOPASSWD-thing, since it can ask the password in an interactive session.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points