Skip navigation
onlybythenight
Currently Being Moderated

Can anyone stabilize this video that has some minor, key camera jumps?

Jun 9, 2013 4:14 PM

I have around fifteen seconds of video that forms a flashback in my short.  Unfortunately, the recording suffered from some tiny bouncing in our floorboards which we couldn't pick up on the monitor.

I've tried the standard warp stabilizer in Premiere CS6 and even the motion tracking using points in After Effects, but either my skills aren't up to it or there just aren't enough points in the footage to track.

The closest I can get is separating the footage into three sections, correcting them individually and then trying to realign them using scale and position - but given that it's a fixed frame and is being shown on a large screen, even the tiniest of remaining movements are visible.  It looks fixed in the preview screen but shows up on the HD export.  Is anyone able to shed some light on this one?

This is the take that would be ideal to correct:

http://speedy.sh/uvtep/MVI-0410.MOV

Or failing that, there's this one:

http://speedy.sh/zDk2F/MVI-0404.MOV

There's a second or two of shake at the very beginning and end, but that can be completely jetissoned.  The audio featured in these clips also won't be used, as'll be obvious when you see it.

If anyone can suggest where I can cut this and what settings I can use on the warp stabilizer to get this perfect, I'll be forever in your debt.

Thanks to you all as always and have a great night,

Lee

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 10, 2013 12:12 AM   in reply to onlybythenight

I can't view your files, as apparently they use an arbitrary compression/ CoDec.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 5:28 AM   in reply to onlybythenight

Use Mocha for stabilising the gift. There is a bunch of tutorials on the Imagineer Systems website.

Here is the tip on exporting Transform Data into After Effects.

Here is the stabilised MVI-0410.MOV file.

The tracking range in Mocha was limited by 235 frames, then in After Effects the parent Null called MASTER CONTROL was shifted 4 pixels up and scaled to 101%:

AE. Stabilising with Mocha.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 3:53 PM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

I haven't tried anything yet but at first look the little glitch in the first shot  only lasts a frame or two. Have you tried time remapping to remove the offending frames? This is the wrong kind of motiion for Warp Stabilizer to help with. AE's point tracker or Mocha is far better suited to the job.

Second, I noticed the shots have not been trimmed. It's usually a good standard practice to trim your shots before stabilizing. I always leave a few frames at each end to facilitate editing but it's usually a waste of production time to stabilize an entire take.

OK, I took about 2 minutes to use the point tracker on about 10 frames where the camera jumps around a bit. Worked perfectly by simply selecting the top right corner of the card and using stabilize motion.

Here's an AEP with the fixed shot. You can adjust the in and out points as needed and scale the shot up if you need to fix the edges of the frame. You'll have to replace the footage with your first shot.

As I was cleaning up my desktop I took a last look and noticed that the jitter is not uniform. If you stabilize the corner of the card then the package stills moves a bit. I had the best luck tracking the intersection of the package and the card. and the corner of the card by stabilizing scale and rotation. This tells me that it is more likely that the table rocked changing perspective than the camera was bumped. Either way, there is no way to make the shot absolutely perfect without warping the image. I'm not sure it would be worth it.

The hardest part about video production is deciding when you're done.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to onlybythenight

Mmh, strange. Seems I need to check my QT install...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 12:34 PM   in reply to Mylenium

Rather check how you tried to download the files: if you right-click the links and choose 'Save as' in either Chrome or Safari, you download supposedly a MOV file, which weighs of around 36 KB and is actually HTML page...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points