Skip navigation
dudikaz
Currently Being Moderated

LR5 Trial - Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction not working.

Jun 10, 2013 4:55 AM

Tags: #lr5

Just installed LR5 final and upgraded my LR4 catalog. Output Sharpening does nothing when exporting. noise reduction doesn't work also, exportet jpej look awful. is this a trial limitation maybe?

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 10, 2013 5:02 AM   in reply to dudikaz

The trial version is fully function. If something isn't wrking as expected then it's usually worth seeing if trashing the preference file helps. You can find details on the name and lcoation of thsi file in the Lightroom FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/358041?tstart=0 The instructiosn for Lr5 should be similar to those for Lr4.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 5:07 AM   in reply to dudikaz

I've just found out too - it seems this issue is resolution dependend. There seems to be some kind of treshold for each raw source resolution/crop combination, see the attached photo (100% crop of exported JPEGs, one pixel difference)

LR5-Export-NR-difference.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 5:11 AM   in reply to dudikaz

I don't have access to a system at present, so can't check myself. Nevertheless, I'll pass the info on to QE. Hopefully, they will have an answer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 5:17 AM   in reply to Ian Lyons

i have tried only 5 images yet but it seems to work for me.

both sharpening and NR look ok when exported as JPG.

what sizes i should try?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 5:23 AM   in reply to dudikaz

have cropped a dozend images now and exported, did not notice any strange behavior.

so you use the resize option in the export dialog?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 5:31 AM   in reply to dudikaz

LR5 Output Sharpening wrote:

you don't have to crop anything to reproduce this. i'm exporing full uncropped d800 36mpix raw's resized to sizes i've mentioned earlier. output sharpening does NOTHING. noise reduction works depending on exported file size. that's at least two issues i've found out in a few minutes after i installed it.

works for me.

tried resize to 720 and 960 pixels on the long edge.

maybe a good ideas to post an example RAW so the adobe guys can try it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 5:32 AM   in reply to dudikaz

To test it out, try ISO 3200 or higher, don't crop and export JPEGs from 800 to 2000 pix longer size, each JPG 200px increment and it might appear when you check 100% one after another, usually in darker areas, color noise is easier indicator. The threshold for uncropped D700/D600 3200 ISO RAWs I tested seems to be between 1400-1600px longer side.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 5:42 AM   in reply to dudikaz

LR5 Output Sharpening wrote:

noise reduction or sharpening? which ver of lr5 are you using? x86 / x64 / win / mac ?

both.

using win7 - 64 bit.

output sharpening yields a stronger halo effect on contrasty edges as no sharpening.

and NR is applied too.

EDIT:

ok... noise has some issues.

noticed it only at 3200 iso images and above.

color noise looks definatley worse then in LR on the exported JPG´s.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 5:45 AM   in reply to dudikaz

win7/x64

can't really tell much about the sharpening, not sure with the noise difference.

I've just tried different img, ISO 400, D700, uncropped vertical, the output sharpening also kicks in only above certain export resolution, this time 1400px not sharpened while1440px visibly is.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 5:56 AM   in reply to dudikaz

i tried 960 pixels and output sharpening worked .. i can see a difference.

but yes the color noise reduction looks worse on the exported JPG´s.

worse then expected (keeping the JPG compression in mind).

there are wrong coloured pixels.

the same image, send to PS from LR, resized in PS and exported with the same JPG settings looks much better.

Untitled-1.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 5:51 AM   in reply to dudikaz

It all might be related to the different export times - the lower exported resolution, the faster the export is. Until approx half the resolution of the source is exported, then it takes the same amount of time as hires. Seems to me the source in LR5 is resized to approx double the exported size, then processed and then resized again - smart and much faster for web exports, but with those sharpening and NR issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 6:28 AM   in reply to dudikaz

I can reproduce the output sharpening issue, but not the noise reduction issue.  I get noise reduction no matter what I seem to try...on ISO 6400 images.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 7:27 AM   in reply to dudikaz

I have the same problem. Also when I export from PSD.

Exported at 2048px long side, output sharpening works. Exported at 960px long site, 800px long side... no output sharpening visible.

In the previous versions, it was ok.

I'm also stuck: no going back to the previous versions, all catalogs are upgraded. Too bad... 

Lightroom version: 5.0 [907681]

Version: 10.8 [4]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 3,4 GHz

Built-in memory: 32768,0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 32768,0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 350,4 MB (1,0%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 656,2 MB

Memory cache size: 183,1 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4

Displays: 1) 2560x1440

Application folder: /Applications

Library Path: /Users/hans/Pictures/Lightroom/Vrij Werk/Vrij Werk.lrcat

Settings Folder: /Users/hans/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) Behance

2) Canon Tether Plugin

3) ColorChecker Passport

4) Facebook

5) Flickr

6) Leica Tether Plugin

7) Nikon Tether Plugin

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 7:31 AM   in reply to HansVanEijsden

I'm also stuck: no going back to the previous versions, all catalogs are upgraded. Too bad...

You're not stuck.

All your earlier catalogs remain in place, unchanged, if you want to use them in earlier versions of Lightroom

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 7:33 AM   in reply to dj_paige

Thanks. I forgot about that (although I hate going back to the beta, I love the other improvements in the final)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 7:38 AM   in reply to HansVanEijsden

I'm not seeing these issues with LR5 beta, so something must have changed in LR5 final release.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 8:02 AM   in reply to HansVanEijsden

The output sharpening seems to start working at 1791px long side. At 1790px long side, the exported files are identical, no matter which output sharpening I select.

lr5sharpen.jpg

View the above image at 100% here: http://www.hansvaneijsden.nl/test/lr5sharpen.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 8:25 AM   in reply to HansVanEijsden

thank god adobe had a beta phase for LR....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 9:21 AM   in reply to dudikaz

Ok, people I think we are missing the point here, at least for me.

I have a Canon Xti and Canon 7D in LR4 the Export on my images after applying NR and Sharpening work just fine and well, I have different Exports, but usually use 720 at the longest side and Export as a Full JPG and I allways, allways had perfect results in LR4.

Now in LR5 this doesn't work. You don't have to crop or do any onther changes in your images. Unless, of course that Adobe said so because they found out they just blew it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 10:38 AM   in reply to hectorfgerena

the bug should be easily fixed.. at least it worked in the beta....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 12:28 PM   in reply to hamada2003

Hopefully, I just found out if I increment the size to 2048 it works just fine, but anything less than that and you are screw...

Model = Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi

Exposure Time = 1/15"

F Number = F2.8

ISO Speed Ratings = 1600

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 "L" IS USM II

Handheld

_MG_9250-5.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 6:05 PM   in reply to hectorfgerena

The reported issue is confirmed. See the updated known issues http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/06/lightroom-5-now-availa ble.html for some details.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 6:20 PM   in reply to simonsaith

Thank you very much for the update. Adobe, thanks for confirming!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 7:31 PM   in reply to HansVanEijsden

Thanks to all for your efforts in tracking down and reporting this issue. The bug was introduced via a late-in-the-cycle change to export performance and was unfortunately missed by our testing. We were able to reproduce the issue in-house, a bug was logged, and the fix will be in the next release.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 1:57 AM   in reply to kelly lr qe

the next release.. mhm.. that normaly takes 3-4 month.

what about a hotfix adobe?

or do they expect we live with this for month?

i mean JPG export is important for some...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 2:30 AM   in reply to kelly lr qe

Not to sound ungrateful but this issue seems too big for regular "next release"..it's not like it's a glitch in UI or a beta support for a brand new camera, this could (will) affect output image quality for anyone exporting for web = everyone. And with the current Adobe "creative cloud popularity" I would not poke users already thinking about long term strategy and possible product switching..just sayin'

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 2:35 AM   in reply to Petr Klapper

ungrateful..??

you PAY for it!! so you can EXPECT that it works.

this kind of behavior makes it so easy for companys to sell us buggy crap.

demand quality and voice your opinion.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 2:59 AM   in reply to hamada2003

If you check out the growing list of "Known Issues" (http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/) you'll see that this is one buggy bit of software. I wish I'd waited for 5.1 because this version is starting to look a LOT like LR Beta 2 dressed up as a final release...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 3:08 AM   in reply to dlscape_photog

dlscape_photog wrote:

If you check out the growing list of "Known Issues" (http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/) you'll see that this is one buggy bit of software. I wish I'd waited for 5.1 because this version is starting to look a LOT like LR Beta 2 dressed up as a final release...

yep and i fear when people have to rent CC software adobe will take even more time to fix bugs.

imho the whole "more updates for CC user" stuff is nonsense. 

and there is no need for CC to offer more bugfixes or feature releases.

the online update we have right now would work just as fine.

it´s all marketing blahblah....

Known Issues

• Fullscreen Mode does not show the next image in your selection. This occurs only when you have selected a series of images before entering Fullscreen mode.
    • Video playback is not currently supported in Fullscreen mode.
    • There is no error message informing that offline photos and videos are not exported to slideshows.
    • The slide after a video clip is often not shown. This only occurs when using the Manual Slideshow feature.
    • Custom slideshow templates will default to 480×270 on export. This only impacts custom slideshow templates created in previous versions of Lightroom.
    • The slideshow appears as a black screen occasionally. This only occurs when a video file is chosen as the first slide.
    • Star ratings cannot be applied while previewing or viewing a Slideshow.
    • Deleting a book in the Book Module may occasionally cause another book to disappear.
    • XMP metadata changes are not automatically written to file when the original file is offline.
    • Canon cameras are not detected when using Tethered Capture in Windows 8. This only occurs on Windows 8.
    • Offline photos go missing from Lightroom when moving folder of images to a different volume.
    • GPS metadata on videos created on an Apple iPhone is not imported.
    • Basic metadata is not imported with video files. This only occurs when imported directly from the camera. As a workaround, please copy the files from camera to your harddrive and then import into Lightroom.
    • When utilizing the “Merge to HDR” feature with Photoshop, the resulting HDR image contains metadata from the last selected photo.
    • Photos adjusted using Process Version 2003 incorrectly display a “Post Crop Vignette: Paint Overlay” History step. Selecting a subsequent History State can reset existing settings that follow that state in the History panel. This reset cannot be undone, effectively deleting any settings that have been applied after the selected History State. This only occurs with images adjusted in PV2003.
    • Images exported at less than 1/3 of their original size may not retain Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction settings.

add to this that some of my video files are not recognized by LR since a point update.

a reported and confirmed bug (i think 18 month ago),... now we have LR 5 and the bug is still there.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points