• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR5 Trial - Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction not working.

Jun 10, 2013 Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed LR5 final and upgraded my LR4 catalog. Output Sharpening does nothing when exporting. noise reduction doesn't work also, exportet jpej look awful. is this a trial limitation maybe?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 31, 2013 Jul 31, 2013

This has been fixed in the Release Candidate of Lightroom 5.2, available now at http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom5-2/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trial version is fully function. If something isn't wrking as expected then it's usually worth seeing if trashing the preference file helps. You can find details on the name and lcoation of thsi file in the Lightroom FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/358041?tstart=0 The instructiosn for Lr5 should be similar to those for Lr4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've tried everything - reinstalling, deleting prefs file, even another computer. output sharpening is not working. noise reductions seems to do something but exported files look waaay worse than preview in lr5 itself or lr5beta or lr4 files. it leaves out lots of color noise. something is surely wrong there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have access to a system at present, so can't check myself. Nevertheless, I'll pass the info on to QE. Hopefully, they will have an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have tried only 5 images yet but it seems to work for me.

both sharpening and NR look ok when exported as JPG.

what sizes i should try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

usually i use 720 or 960 or 1280 for long edge. noise reduction only works for 1280. sharpening does not work for any of these. tried exporting sharpened "high" picture and same pic without sharpening at all, files came out identical. byte by byte.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2013 Oct 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you found an answer? I recently purchased and downloaded LR5 and all exported files look worse than in LR. Some not sharpened; others very noisy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2013 Oct 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The answer is referenced in the post directly above yours, Julita.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just found out too - it seems this issue is resolution dependend. There seems to be some kind of treshold for each raw source resolution/crop combination, see the attached photo (100% crop of exported JPEGs, one pixel difference)

LR5-Export-NR-difference.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're right, changed jpeg size, noise reduction now works, but sharpening still doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so it seems lr5 has some major bugs in final version. strange. i always thought that's why they release beta - to find out problems and fix them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have cropped a dozend images now and exported, did not notice any strange behavior.

so you use the resize option in the export dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you don't have to crop anything to reproduce this. i'm exporing full uncropped d800 36mpix raw's resized to sizes i've mentioned earlier. output sharpening does NOTHING. noise reduction works depending on exported file size. that's at least two issues i've found out in a few minutes after i installed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR5 Output Sharpening wrote:

you don't have to crop anything to reproduce this. i'm exporing full uncropped d800 36mpix raw's resized to sizes i've mentioned earlier. output sharpening does NOTHING. noise reduction works depending on exported file size. that's at least two issues i've found out in a few minutes after i installed it.

works for me.

tried resize to 720 and 960 pixels on the long edge.

maybe a good ideas to post an example RAW so the adobe guys can try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

noise reduction or sharpening? which ver of lr5 are you using? x86 / x64 / win / mac ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR5 Output Sharpening wrote:

noise reduction or sharpening? which ver of lr5 are you using? x86 / x64 / win / mac ?

both.

using win7 - 64 bit.

output sharpening yields a stronger halo effect on contrasty edges as no sharpening.

and NR is applied too.

EDIT:

ok... noise has some issues.

noticed it only at 3200 iso images and above.

color noise looks definatley worse then in LR on the exported JPG´s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sharpening starts working when i increase long edge's size. 2048pix long edge - sharpening works, 720 960 1280 long edge - sharpening does nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried 960 pixels and output sharpening worked .. i can see a difference.

but yes the color noise reduction looks worse on the exported JPG´s.

worse then expected (keeping the JPG compression in mind).

there are wrong coloured pixels.

the same image, send to PS from LR, resized in PS and exported with the same JPG settings looks much better.

Untitled-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

win7/x64

can't really tell much about the sharpening, not sure with the noise difference.

I've just tried different img, ISO 400, D700, uncropped vertical, the output sharpening also kicks in only above certain export resolution, this time 1400px not sharpened while1440px visibly is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dudikaz wrote:

so it seems lr5 has some major bugs in final version. strange. i always thought that's why they release beta - to find out problems and fix them.

I have found that (apparently) Adobe decides to introduce "last minute changes" when releasing the final version. Sort of: You thought you were getting this much but you are getting THIS much! So you are happy and enthusiastic and buy it inmediately... Later on you realize that "half" the things won't work properly... and that it will take them until .4 to update to fix something (like with LR 4) (-> meaning almost a year of stress and frustration for you)

So... I am buying a new camera and they want to combo LR5 with it. I'm asking for alternatives or store credit. I am not making the same mistake I made with LR 4.

If there is a good working version of LR 5 soon, I'll get it. Otherwise, I'll stay with my LR4 for as long as I can.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/971581?start=1360&tstart=0

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1117506?start=0&tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To test it out, try ISO 3200 or higher, don't crop and export JPEGs from 800 to 2000 pix longer size, each JPG 200px increment and it might appear when you check 100% one after another, usually in darker areas, color noise is easier indicator. The threshold for uncropped D700/D600 3200 ISO RAWs I tested seems to be between 1400-1600px longer side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It all might be related to the different export times - the lower exported resolution, the faster the export is. Until approx half the resolution of the source is exported, then it takes the same amount of time as hires. Seems to me the source in LR5 is resized to approx double the exported size, then processed and then resized again - smart and much faster for web exports, but with those sharpening and NR issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where can we report this? i'm kinda stuck now - upgraded my catalog to lr5 format and deleted lr4 one. and with these issues i'd like to go back to lr4 until it get's fixed but i can't 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can reproduce the output sharpening issue, but not the noise reduction issue.  I get noise reduction no matter what I seem to try...on ISO 6400 images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is quite random, i have two raw's taken one after one, i export both at 1280pix long edge. one gets noise cleane other one doesn't. if i export both at 2048 both get cleaned. simliar with sharpening. makes me also think this has something to do with timing or so..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines