Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
MatthewCPA
Currently Being Moderated

Damaged file

Jun 10, 2013 7:49 AM

I have one PDF file that I cannot opena nd I get the following message "There was an error opening this document.  THe file is damaged and could not be repaired."  I am able to open other PDF files with no problems.  I am using Adobe Acrobat X and have updated to version 10.1.7.  I was in this file last week and really cannot loose the editing that I have done.  Thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 10, 2013 8:17 AM   in reply to MatthewCPA

Generally, corrupt pdf files cannot be repaired. I recently had a pdf file that I could view in a browser, but could not open in the desktop app. Uploading it to the acrobat.com website and redownloading it fixed the problem. The issue had to be minor since it was successfully viewed by the pdf plugin.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 3:09 PM   in reply to MichaelKazlow

I an having that problem with every .pdf that I am downloading from reputable websites. It is becoming a very major problem because I need the .pdfs for research. Any other ideas on how to deal with this?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 3:09 PM   in reply to MatthewCPA

I am having similar problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 3:21 PM   in reply to MichaelKazlow

I have downloaded at least ten files recently and they all pop up on my computer as damaged files. I have a hard time believing that all of those files are damaged. They are from universites or law firms or places that one would not expect to be posting damaged files all of the time. They are viewable in the browsers that I am downloading them from, so it seems there is a different problem going on here.

And, I have quite a few .pdf files that are older that I need to use, but am afraid to open them because I don't want to possibly damage them ... since I don't know what is really going on.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 4:13 PM   in reply to MelissaHoffmann

Can you please upload any sample file not comprising of any private data.

Here are the steps to upload the files: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/918624

~Deepak

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 6:05 PM   in reply to MelissaHoffmann

I have the same problem as No 4 MelissaHoffman.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 7:06 PM   in reply to MelissaHoffmann

MelissaHoffmann wrote:

I have quite a few .pdf files that are older that I need to use, but am afraid to open them because I don't want to possibly damage them ... since I don't know what is really going on.

Files are not getting damaged by opening them, but usually during the download process (with a bad Internet connection), or transfer by email.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 7:08 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

I have Time-Warner cable .... it was working great for the first three months that I had this computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 7:18 PM   in reply to Deepak Chauhan

I am working on uploading some files, but it may take a bit ....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 7:33 PM   in reply to Deepak Chauhan

Allright, I did everything required and when I asked for the file to 'upload' it came back with a message "Acrobat could not access this PDF file because it is corrupt".

I tried a different file and got the same thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 7:37 PM   in reply to MelissaHoffmann

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 7:56 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Well, I did get them uploaded, but I don't know how to 'share' them. I am not too crazy about using my Google Account.

https://drive.google.com/#my-drive

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 8:05 PM   in reply to MelissaHoffmann

After you uploaded your document, there is a link "share" beside the document name.  If you click on it, you will be given a link that you can share.  Nobody will get your Google account details if you share that link; we will have to login with our own Google account.

Example of a file that I just uploaded: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5gx9K9dpk2CeWcxX21FSjRXeDg/edit?usp=s haring

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 8:24 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

I clicked on your Google link and I Google says that I am logged in (to Google), but I don't have permission to look at the link you posted (Access Denied).

I also don't really know if I have 'shared' properly because things dont look exactly like what you are saying they should look like .... ie: the 'share' isn't next to each file, it is in the upper right hand corner ... I did enter this URL, but I have no clue if that is the correct way to do this .... because then it asks me 'who with' (friends, family, blah, blah, blah ....).

Both files give me an 'error' message if I try to open them on Google.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 8:28 PM   in reply to MelissaHoffmann

Sorry for that; I didn't share it properly (with the public).

Try again now: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5gx9K9dpk2CeWcxX21FSjRXeDg/edit?usp=s haring

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 8:39 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Ok, I shared using "public". Or at least I think I have

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers