Skip navigation
zidge17511
Currently Being Moderated

Why cant I open any of my older PDFs with the newest version 11

Jun 10, 2013 3:56 PM

When I install the latest version i can no longer open any of my older PDFs It just hangs on opening and does nothing for several minutes until I finally just close the window.

This is on a windows 7 64 bit machine. My only solution is uninstall the 11 and reinstall the older 9 which will open the files just fine.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 10, 2013 4:05 PM   in reply to zidge17511

Hi zidge17511,

Please try to disable the Protected Mode and see if that works.

Edit-> Preferences-> Security Enhanced and uncheck the enable the Protected Mode at Startup and Enable Security Enhanced checkbox. see if that works.

Also, please follow the steps mentioned here: http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/cant-open-pdf.html

~Deepak

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 4:45 PM   in reply to zidge17511

Open registry entry and navigate to HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\11.0\Privileged\bProtectedMode, set this value 0. Now try to relaunch Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 6:55 PM   in reply to zidge17511

Download, unzip, then run the attached registry script to disable Protected Mode in the registry.

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 5:56 AM   in reply to Deepak Chauhan

I share zidget17511's problem, except that Reader exits with this message: AdobeReader_11.0.3_error_130613.png

However, there is no entry for Privileged at HKCU\Software\Adobe\AcrobatReader\11.0 - in fact there is no entry betweeen ~\Originals and ~\RememberedViews

I've tried the Repair option in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features, but with no change to the problem behaviour. My system is 64-bit Windows 7.

I notice that pdf attachments will preview correctly in Outlook 2010.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points