Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

IPad Retina Display - Publishing Question

Jun 10, 2013 5:45 PM

Tags: #air #adobe #as3 #export #display #action_script_3 #actionscript #flash_professional #cs6 #hd #retina #flash_cs6

Hi Everyone,

A bread and butter question for many of you I'd imagine, but I could use some advice as this is my first iPad app.

Background info -

Developing in Flash CS6, with AIR 3.4 SDK.

Stage size is 1024x768, and using all vector graphics.

I've created all app icons as per required resolutions, including for retina display.

- I've tested on both IPad2 and IPad3 (new Retina Display model).

- I've selected "High" in the Publishing settings in Flash.

- Images look good on IPad 2, medium-large images looks crisp (even when resized), but I have noticed that for some of the vector images that I've resized down quite small on screen (i.e. smaller than an icon size) have  some minor line 'jaggies'.  As a note I have the quality setting in the AS3 code set to "best".

- Images look SUPER crisp and sharp on the IPad3, those same smaller images are perfectly sharp and look flawless.

Question -

When looking at the Adobe help page of how to deploy a HD Retina Display app, it pretty much just mentions the steps of selecting "High" as the publishing setting.

Seeing I'm using 3.4 SDK (qhich references support for Retina Display), and Flash CS6, and also the 'High' publish setting, can my app be 'offically' referred to as a HD Retina Display app?

The main reason I'm asking is because my Flash stage is only at 1024x768, so I'm wondering if it has to be set at 2048x etc

Even so, the quality is so sharp and crisp on the iPad3!

Thanks all.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2013 8:43 PM   in reply to HankyDay1234

Hi Hanky,

You asked:

Seeing I'm using 3.4 SDK (qhich references support for Retina Display), and Flash CS6, and also the 'High' publish setting, can my app be 'offically' referred to as a HD Retina Display app?

The main reason I'm asking is because my Flash stage is only at 1024x768, so I'm wondering if it has to be set at 2048x etc

If there's an official Apple definition of an app being a "HD Retina Display App," then I don't know the answer.  But, if your app plays on iPad3 Retinas, then in my opinion (not worth much), I'd say "yes" -- it's a HD Retina Display App (especially if you're getting the decent high-res imagery you stated).

Regarding the "jaggies" on the vector images, I have the same problem.  I think it's an AIR issue.  For my client, I had to convince them to just accept it, which they did (thankfully).  To try eliminating the "jaggie" issue, I used PNG files in some cases.  But, those resulted in "fuzzy" appearances, which isn't much better.

You might want to update your AIR to 3.7 SDK and publish with that, as it's the most-recent and fixes a few older issues.

Please advise when you go to submit your app to Apple, because Apple rejected my app for problems on the iPad3 Retina (see http://forums.adobe.com/message/5414458#5414458 ).

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2013 12:01 AM   in reply to HankyDay1234

Yes, by selecting Resolution as "High" will publish the app as Retina Display.

The Flash Stage need not to be set at 2048x1496.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points