Skip navigation
iKokomo55
Currently Being Moderated

How to edit 3d footage with CS6?

Jun 10, 2013 7:57 PM

Tags: #3d

I just got CS6 Production Premium and I was wondering how I can edit 3d footage shot with a Panasonic VW-CLT1 3D Conversion Lens at 960 x 1080 (side by side) and I was wondering the best way to edit this kind of footage.

Thanks a lot!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 10, 2013 8:05 PM   in reply to iKokomo55

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2013 9:42 PM   in reply to iKokomo55

Check out this plugin from Vision 3:

www.inv3.com/quicks3d

Here's the a tutorial for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nurgIrz80vc

Pretty easy workflow.

Peter Garaway

Adobe

Premiere Pro

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 4:16 AM   in reply to petergaraway

hello, following petergaraway's lead for the vision 3 plugin i found this:

http://www.stereoscopynews.com/hotnews/3d-technology/various-a-strange -facts/2224-first-3d-wiggle-video-published.html

i use 2 canon vixia hfs20 avchd video cameras on a s3d rig

and am curious how to make 'wiggle video'

i am somewhat confused on the workflow in PPRO cs6 windows

any advice is appreciated, thank, j

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 6:50 AM   in reply to iKokomo55

If you're on a Mac, may I recommend Tim Dashwood's excellent plug-in:

http://www.dashwood3d.com/

It requires Lion (or Mountain Lion) but this newest version does work with Premiere.  Previous versions worked with FCP 7, FCP X and After Effects.

I have a JVC GS-TD1 3D camera that I love but I started with 2 Canon Vixia M300s on a dual mount.  The biggest problem with dual cameras is syncing everything up.

The 3D Wiggle video (which has already given me a headache!) looks like they convereged the screen on the person in the middle and just cut back and forth between the left and right camera.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 12:08 PM   in reply to iKokomo55

If Adobe is done turning Premiere Pro into Premiere Cut Pro, I think 3D should probably be the next major focus for the development team.  They'll be barred from a lot of Hollywood work without native 3D editing, effects and delivery capabilities.  (And it does seem like a market Adobe is interested in.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 12:32 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

hello, 

my intent for output is to shoot using the dual canon hfs20 avchd rig at 60i

(i have a dual lanc controller which is really cool (however, i haven't used it yet))

import footage into PPRO cs6 as left and right eye

and then edit somehow to get the 'wiggle' effect of 3d

it's the 'wiggle' effect with video i'm chasing

i like the autostereoscopic idea (no special glasses, no special monitors, nothing special)

just lots and lots of depth...

thanks, j

ps:  and then 'how to export via AME as s3d... and how to author s3d via Encore'

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 1:28 PM   in reply to tfi productions 44

Here's a test "wiggle" I made with some old footage shot on the JVC.  Would have turned out better if convergence had been set to the flower and not the leaf in the background.

All I did was import the footage (which shot half sbs).  Stretch the width to 200%.  Duplicate it on a new video track and send one all the way to the right and the other all the way to the left.  Then I simply did a "+2" to move the playhead two frames and <ctrl> k to cut though both video frames.  I kept doing this until the end of the piece and then deleted eveyother instance of the second video track.  Of course, with a separate right and left source you'd just put on eon one track and the other on the other track.

I think my example shows the importance of converging on the correct (probably always, center) object.  Mine was exported as a regular widescreen QuickTime.  No idea how to author it in Encore (I don't "DVD" anymore!). 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 2:47 PM   in reply to Allynn Wilkinson

hello,  @ Allynn:  thanks for the step by step

i have a few questions to clarify if you don't mind

1.) (which shot half sbs) = can you explain this please

2) 'send one all the way to the right / left'  = is this each video track being moved with the 'motion vertical and horizontal' position in the effect panel?

3) can you explain how to control the 'convergence' please...

everything else i think i understand

thank you so much for your help (i'm a slow learner)

j

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 3:36 PM   in reply to tfi productions 44

Sure... let's see if I can clarify...

1. - Shot half sbs means my camera shots the two images side by side at half horozintal resolution (squeezed).  It's a popular 3D delivery method as well. 

half_sbs.jpg

2. When you shoot with two cameras, you're shooting at full resolution (whatever your resolution is).    You won't have to worry about "sending one right and one left".  By default one of your videos will be the right eye and one will be the left.

3.  This is the "Holy Grail" of 3d shooting!  Convergence is the point in space where both cameras "see" pretty much the exact same image.  In your example, it was the person in the middle.  In mine, it's a big leaf in the background.  Convergence (on a 3D screen) happens *at* the screen.  Everything else is either "behind" the screen (as if you're looking into a window) or popping out of the screen (which is the effect I was trying for when I originally shot the flower).

3D plugins often let you "pull convergence" (to a point).  Typically, they let you see the two images overlaid with a double image where the two cameras diverge.  You can then manipulate the angles (by bringing them right and left) until the desired "converged" object has a solid outline with no double image.  In "good 3D" (read: non-eye fatiguing) almost everything is at the screen plane or behind it.  It's the popping *out* that is fatiguing to the eye.

Without a plug in, you could just nudge your images left and right and view the effect to see if the desired object is getting more converged (in which keep going in that direction) or less converged (in which case move them in the opposite direction).

Hope this helps

Allynn

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 12:26 AM   in reply to Allynn Wilkinson

hello Allynn,

i am clear on most of what's going on now, thanks

i'm looking at 32-46" 3d tvs to use as a big monitor

any ideas of features to get / not to get?

i know hdmi 1.4 a or b is necessary

i think 240hz is necessary

i already own a oppo 3d bluray with hdmi1.4a spec

do you have preferences / rankings on the 'best' 3d format: sbs, top/bottom, checkerboard, frame sequential, etc.

at 1920x1080 if possible

do you have any thoughts on how 4k will change/impact 3d output?

thanks for chatting, you're one of the only people i've been able to really go back and forth with on this stuff

cheers, j

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to tfi productions 44

I have a 23" LG passive 3D monitor and a 48" (?) LG passive 3D TV.  In my opinion, passive is the way to go.  No way could I work with active shutter glasses all day!  I kind of like having a separate monitor because viewing distance is key with 3D and I have to sit a few feet back from the TV.  The 23" monitor is perfect on the desktop.  Now getting 2 mini-dv monitors and 1, 3D HDMI monitor attached to a 2009 Mac Pro Tower was a bit of an adventure!

According to Bernard Mendiburu (author of "3D Movie Making", 2009) the checkerboard gives a slightly better picture because it allows more light than either sbs or top/bottom.  Because you view 3D through polarized lenses (or shutter glasses) you're only getting about half the light in each image.  I stick to half sbs because it's what my camera shoots.  I have done some full sbs (using 2 hd cameras) but I didn't notice a huge difference.  My 3D camera can actually shoot full-sbs but I can't easily edit it and I'm still learning so it's more important for me to shoot a lot.

I'm sure 4K will have a huge (positive) impact on 3D but I think it's most important to get out there and learn the techniques with whatever you have at hand.  The principles of good stereoscopy were written over 100 years ago and they really haven't changed much!

I really like the above mentioned Mendiburu book though it's a little dated now.  He gives a strong, technical background that is well illustrated and easy to understand.  I've just ordered "Digital Stereoscopy" published in March and I'll probably order "3D Storytelling" just published at the end of April.  And, of course, I watch 3D (both good and bad) any time I can. 

Favorite link: Dr. Brian May (*yes* Queen's Brian May) "London Stereoscopic Company": http://www.londonstereo.com/   He is a life-long avid collector of 19th century stereo cards and presented a TV special on the history of 3D (in 3D, of course!).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 9:45 PM   in reply to Allynn Wilkinson

hello, 

my brain hurts trying to find a way to hook up a quadro4000 with dual link dvi-i (or display port 1.1a)

to a big modern 3d tv with hdmi 1.4a spec

reading in gamer forums: they talk about an hdmi 2.0 with full hd 120hz 1920x1080 (60hz per eye (60fps))

but that's not out for a while

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/542331/3d-vision/3d-vision-am p-hdmi-2-0/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/536745/3d-vision/3d-vision-r- i-p-2013-oculus-rift-and-bioshock-infinite-/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/539754/3d-vision/anyone-seen- these-new-displayport-to-hdmi-type-2-selling-yet-/

http://www.tested.com/tech/tvs/453366-future-blu-ray/

http://hdguru.com/3d-hdtv-and-hdmi-explained/1336/

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/3d-tv-technology.html

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1245196/hdmi-1-4-3dtv-and-120hz-240hz-true-s ignal-inputs

and does anyone know of big modern 3d tv's with dual link dvi-i connection?

cheers to anyone with thoughts

@Allynn, thanks again for taking the time to provide an indepth response: i appreciate it

cheers,

j

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to tfi productions 44

hello,  after doing a lot of reading re: passive vs. active 3d

lg tvs have stated that their cinema tvs 3d have been certified as full hd 3d

by way of sending separate 540 vertical images to each eye

which combines to a 1080i image...

by way of a firmware upgrade

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1313938337

can any lg 3d cinema tv users comment on this, confirm if image quality improved after the firmware update please...

can anyone comment as to whether or not PPRO will eventually support mvc file format please...

the v3 plugin mentioned above...the company is planning/working on an mvc plugin for PPRO i believe

it would be so very cool to get access to mvc in PPRO...

cheers, j

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 11:15 AM   in reply to tfi productions 44

tfi productions 44 wrote:

the v3 plugin mentioned above...the company is planning/working on an mvc plugin for PPRO i believe

it would be so very cool to get access to mvc in PPRO...

cheers, j

Do you mean AVC + MVC extensions Import support (ie understanding AVC/MVC files) or do you mean AVC/MVC Export support or both?

btw for all that don't know. MVC is an extension to the AVC standard that allows you to encode two views (thus _M_ulti _View_ Codec) into the stream with shared information. This is more efficient than encoding at FullHD3D where you have two 1920x1080 images stacked top/bottom, and has better image quality vs two horizontally compressed images at 960x1080 (960+960=1920) side by side (sbs),.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to Rallymax-forum

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/998399 has some discussion of a plugin for MVC in #7

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 9:46 AM   in reply to John T Smith

hello,

thanks for the link, John.  i just posted in that thread

i'm thinking about switching over to vegaspro 12: their s3d workflow looks pretty good

trying to find an affordable solution to author 3d blurays

cheers,

j

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to tfi productions 44

tfi productions 44 wrote:

hello,

thanks for the link, John.  i just posted in that thread

i'm thinking about switching over to vegaspro 12: their s3d workflow looks pretty good

trying to find an affordable solution to author 3d blurays

cheers,

j

Premiere & Vegas do not support MVC export.

Stereo3d Toolbox (S3D) _imports_ and _edits_ footage but doesn't provide a 3D format (like MVC) export.

The only MVC encoder I'm aware of plug in to Sony DoStudio (~$5k) or Sony BluPrint (~$50k)

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/blurayauthoring

Who else has a MVC 3D blu ray compliant encoder?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points