Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom installs to default location despite specific install location set in application manager.

Jun 11, 2013 1:43 AM

Tags: #lightroom #install #default

Lightroom keeps installing to the default install location even though I have a specific install location set in the application manager. Is there a fix for this issue?

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 11, 2013 2:09 PM   in reply to Planet Matt

Other users have reported this difficulty as well.  Are you also attempting to install on a different drive besides the one which contains your operating system?  Also which operating system are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to Planet Matt

Ok thank you Planet Matt.  This same difficulty has been brought up by other Users in the forum.  We are currently testing a similar configuration to see if we face the same difficulties.  For now I would recommend installing Photoshop Lightroom on your C: drive.

If you wouldn't mind testing installing Lightroom next week to see if you face the same issue and respond back to this discussion it would be extremely helpful.  This would let me know if the upcoming version of the Adobe Application Manager will face the same difficulty or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 11:48 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

I am having the same problema and do not want to install on my SSD drive. I have tried:

1. Installing from Application Manager - installs to default folder even though set to different folder in Preferences.

2. Copying the setup file from the temp folder and running that. This allowed me to setup a path during the install which it ignored, still installing to the C: default location.

Very interestingly when uninstalling there are 2 entries:

1. 'Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5' with the default folder shown

2. 'Lightroom 5' with the preferred folder shown, even though the folder does not exist.

Both entries go through an uninstall process - very strange!!!

This has happened on a computer without a SSD drive as well. Win7 Pro.

Regards

Stephen

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 6:07 PM   in reply to slselwyn

I have the same issue. I can't install on C drive as its about to get full. I want it on my SSD and i trying to change install path in Creative in the prefer3ences and it does not work. It installs on the c drive. I can't work with that so cna't use it. This needs to be fixed. I run a PC with windows 8

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 6:09 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

I have tried this issue with the new Adobe Application Manager and the issue is still there. I changed the default install location in the preference section but it still installs on the C drive

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 6:56 PM   in reply to Fetigraphy

I have no time waiting for a fix so I downloaded the standalone installer for lightroom 5. Installed it where i want it and it runs find. It does of course not show up in the creative application manager but I'll live with that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 11:07 AM   in reply to Fetigraphy

Thank you we have confirmed that Users are still not able to customize the installation location for Lightroom within the Creative Cloud application.

Fetigraphy you will only be able to utilize Lightroom for up to 30 days in trial mode through the method you have used.  Lightroom does have to be installed through the Creative Cloud application for the proper licensing information to be given to it for your subscription.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 5:57 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Thank you Jeff Wright. I am also having the same problem

Can you give me a timeframe for a fix???

Anyone know if Photoshop CC has the same problem as I'm not game to install it until I know it will go to the correct drive as I'm also running a SSD as boot drive

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 4:20 AM   in reply to Planet Matt

Hello Matt

I don't see why the cc version would be different either. I had no problems installing adobe products where I wanted to install them prior to the cc version. This is with the understanding that there would be some elements of the software on the boot "c" drive, but with most of the install on the designated drive. I have CS6 installed on h:, a SSD, no problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 10:09 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

I can corroborate.  My configuration:

Laptop with C: as Windows 7 boot drive, conventional HDD.  S: is new SSD, internal local drive (not networked).

I previously had Lightroom 5 installed to C: drive (defaulted to C:\Program Files\Adobe\ ...).  Last night I uninstalled Lightroom 5 (and all the other CS6 apps I had too), with intention of re-installing all apps to the new faster S drive.

In Adobe Creative Cloud tool I explicitly set "Install Location" to "S:\Adobe" and triggered a reinstall of Lightroom 5.  When it completed, I checked and found that it had installed in the old location of C:\Program Files\Adobe\... ignoring my setting.

What's the point of the "Install Location" option if it's ignored?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Thanks for your acknowledgement of this issue, Jeff. However, I want to make sure Adobe is aware that the issue is not specific to Lightroom 5.

I have the latest version of Create Cloud installed, v1.0.0.183. My OS is Windows 7 64-bit, booting from a fast, but small SSD (C:).

In Creative Cloud Apps / Settings, I changed Install Location to my larger, non-boot drive (D:). I install all of my apps to this drive.

I've installed both Lightroom 5 and Edge Code CC (Preview), and they both installed to the OS boot drive (C:), which was not the install drive I specified in Creative Cloud (D:).

I have older Adobe products including Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4 that were all installed successfully on the D: drive, but (the new) Creative Cloud app is failing to properly install new products to the specified location. I've uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled Creative Cloud in an effort to correct the issue, but without success.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to BKize

Thank you for the feedback BKize.   To confirm the other applications you have installed, with the exception of Lightroom 5 and Edge Code CC, have installed to the custom location?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 3:33 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Hey Jeff,

I had to ensure my C: drive had enough space before attempting additional installations in case those installs also ignored the Apps / Install Location setting.

I'm happy to report that Photoshop CC installed to the "D:\apps\Adobe" path I specified in the Creative Cloud Preferences. I haven't test others at this time.

On a side note, I think it's a little odd that Creative Cloud indicates that Photoshop CC is "Up to date", but then Adobe Application Manager - triggered from within Photoshop - had three updates to install, such as Camera Raw 8.1 (CC).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 3:50 PM   in reply to BKize

Thank you so much BKize. I can now install Photoshop CC as there just wasn't room on the SSD to give it a go after Lightroom CC insisted on going there

Jeff- any timeframe for a fix to this issue??????????

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 6:00 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Is this still an issue with Lightroom on Windows?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 9:20 AM   in reply to kaagee

Kaagee I am sorry but I don't have any updates to report.  I would recommend installing Lightroom to the default location on the drive which contains your operating system.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 6:44 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

These days, many people run Windows 7 PC, not Mac. Not anymore, even in the community of users of Adobe.

These days, installing a 64bits version of windows 7 is not only wise, but is mandatory if you buy hi-level CPU.

These days, many people running a Windows 7 Pro 64bits version are likely to have a SSD where the OS is located (I understand that people with Mac computers can have hard times realizing it).

So when we see:

1. Lightroom, but also Edge Inspect, Edge Code and Edge reflow as well installed in C: despite having changed default location...
    2. Photoshop and Illustrator will be installed both in 32 and 64 bits versions...
    3. months have passed since we yell in users forum

we presume many things... but not that you listen to your customers, nor that Adobe's looking for any solutions... nor that people who test your apps really own a real computer (no: anything running natively MAC OS is not a real computer... it's a toy for hipsters, a start for children or the only way for old people to keep in touch qith reltives via Facebook, but it's not a computer... I run a computer... nothing to compare).

So will we get any answers ?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 7:19 AM   in reply to Luffy_D_Monkey

I totally agree - this together with Illustrator CC problems are longstanding and Adobe do not seem to care. This was raised back in June.

Adobe have lost their joined up thinking - it looks like the installation of Lightroom was not considered properly compared to the other apps.

They will eventually lose their crown due to this- it will take time but in the same way that they took market share from Quark and other programs, users will come to realise that their arrogance and pricing structure can no longer be accommodated.

Xara is sitting with a program (Designer Pro 9) at a fraction of the cost with most of the features of many of the Adobe products and I am sure that it will not go unnoticed that it won PC Pro's software of the year award, beating Photoshop CC.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 6:28 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Dear Jeff

I was one of the early reports for this problem and am wondering when it will be fixed! LR takes up about 1 gb on my smallish SSD- and that's with the catalogue on another drive

Surely this issue is of enough importance to have a fix? I had to reinstall LR, Photoshop and Dreamweaver today due to a hard drive issue. Photoshop and Dreamweaver installed on the disc indicated under preferences but LR still installed itself on C:

Not good enough!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 11:00 PM   in reply to vmoritz

I take it all back. For those still hanging out for a fix I'd like to report that I've just taken the 5.2 lightroom update and not only did it ask me where I wanted to install it, it installed onto the nominated disc and removed the installation from c (the SSD where I didn't want to see it)

Thanks Adobe!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 12:58 AM   in reply to vmoritz

I don't taky anything back, for my concern vmoritz. I'm happy things are improved for you.

For my part, LR has been uninstalled the 13th of september.

But this morning, after reading your post, I tried to re-install it: no way! My Cloud App thinks it's still installed and up-to-date and doesn't let me download it at all.

BRAVO!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to vmoritz

Thank you for the update Vmoritz.

Luffy_D_Monkey please see Creative Cloud AAM lists Applications as "Up to Date" when not installed - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/aam-lists-removed-apps-date.h tml.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 8:14 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Hello Jeff !
    I saw this link and its content.

Solution 1:

I can run AAM. Sadly it doesn't list LightRoom5 as installed. So.

And my Windows is pretty positive about not listing LR5 amongst installed programs.

And the CC App is listing it though...

So solution 2:

is it safe ? won't it harm my CS6 softwares ? (oh my god: deleting a file...)

Solution 3:

"Reinstall AAM". Well. Do I have to manually uninstall it before?

And what does it have to with the Creative Cloup App listing LR5 as installed? Is the CC App in any way to the AAM? It doesn't seem so...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to Luffy_D_Monkey

Well let it go.

I stopped the ACC App this morning (6 or 7 times...) and kept it shut down until now. Because I restarted it just after previous post...

And... tadaaaaa ? Miracle. I can click the "install" button for LR5 now... incredible...

Now... wait, I will try to install it, but I hop this time it will install itself where I ask it to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to Luffy_D_Monkey

Nope. Once again it installs itself there:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.2\lightroom.exe"

(and surprisingly, claims to be 64bits)

which is NOT the place I set in Creative Cloud App (Preferences, Apps > "E:\Adobe CC") !!!

It's simply awful...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 11:16 AM   in reply to Luffy_D_Monkey

Luffy_D_Monkey have you made any modifications to your environmental variables?  Also is the User directory still stored on your C drive?  Finally to confirm you are you using Windows 7 64-bit as well?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 11:56 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Windows 7 Pro 64bits, freshly installed (one week). No changes.

Yes the User directory is still on my C SSD harddrive. (And BTW, I'm full of Adobe things in "Users/Me/AppData/Local/....").

BTW: Jeff, dont copy/paste my nickname, just call me Luffy, or Julien, or JacK.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 2:45 PM   in reply to Luffy_D_Monkey

Thank you Luffy.  I confirmed that I am experiencing the same behavior.  I have also double checked and this issue has been verified and reported.  I don't have any updates to provide at this time.  I did also test Photoshop CC and it supported the customized location.

The application folder indicates it is 970 MBs.  I would recommend making sufficient disk space to allow for installation in the default location.  You can use methods such as transferring your User directories to the secondary drive to gain additional file space.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 11:50 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Jeff. Photoshop and Dreamweaver CC accept the customized location.

So far, Edge Inspect installs itself also on C:.

I don't really need to move anything from C: to gain space (my SSD is a 180Gb), I just want things to do what I tell them to do.

So far, this story of default location set on C: is annoying me, but not to the extent that we can't choose to install only 64bits version

of Illustrator and Photoshop and are forced to install both 32b and 64b versions of those 2 softwares. That last thing is annoying me a lot more.

But that's nothing compared to what is missing to Dreamweaver CC...

If I wasn't a ACI, if my job was only webdevelopping, be sure I'ld resign for the CC. Sadly I'm also a trainer/instructor (A certified one- three times)

and I'm forced to deal with this unachieved suite.

Not surprisingly, I'm making Adobe a lot of advertisements on Facebook these days.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 12:38 PM   in reply to Luffy_D_Monkey

Luffy I can try testing this behavior as well.  It would not surprise me if Edge and possibly Muse installations also faced difficulty with the install customization due to the implementation of our install technology.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 12:38 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

To members of this discussion we have provided documentation regarding the inability to customize the installation location of Lightroom.  Please see the Lightroom and Creative Cloud FAQ - http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-creative-cloud-faq.html# id_95665.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 1:20 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

It's a bit late to post this document as the Lightroom 5.2 update gives the user the choice of where to install. The download links are on this page http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/09/lightroom-5-2-now-avai lable.html.

I carried out the upgrade, it removed the program from the default drive and put it where I wanted it. Why on earth Adobe treats Lightroom differently to the other programs (and that includes how it knows when to update) I am sure is just down to lazyness and arrogance.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 1:37 AM   in reply to slselwyn

@ slselwyn

Lucky you ! The last version I istalled is sadly, the real most-recent version : 5.2.

But still it installed itself on C: No asking...

Frak! (definitely, I'm getting rude)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 1:37 AM   in reply to Luffy_D_Monkey

Even more : Frell!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to Luffy_D_Monkey

I presume that you are on Windows. Just tried again and it gave me the option to change the path. Where it shows the default path, this can be altered.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 2:44 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

"Lightroom must be installed to your local drive and can't be installed to custom location like other Creative Cloud apps. Lightroom always installs to the default location and disregards any preference you select for a custom location. This behavior is as designed"

I'm curious-- why is it designed that way? It makes it tough for those of us who have smaller ssd "C" drives, and other drives for programs, footage, &c.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2013 3:12 PM   in reply to TheDano99

Ohh, Hello TheDano99.

There's no answer. Or it seems that answers will come out without further notice. Your post, my posts, posts from other users are simply ignored. They (Adobe) simply don't know. I think they might chase that bug, amongst others. But don't hope for answers. Adobe as we knew it : forget. It's all about money, marketing and answers with links pointing to youytube video tutorials. Don't expect more.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points