Skip navigation
tswalk
Currently Being Moderated

hi, i'm new here.. and totaly confused about this product!

Jun 11, 2013 1:17 PM

Tags: #flash #flash_builder #as3 #flex #actionscript #flex-4.6 #builder #flex4.6

I'm attempting to expand my knowlege and skill base by learning both Flash Professional and Flash Builder...

Primarily for the purpose of portability and cross-platform compatibility in my application solutions.  I'm not a long-lived hard core programmer, I mainly work in design/art and know my basics for C and C# development.

However,  most of the training I've had so far related to Flash and/or Builder APARENTLY uses a subversion of 4 (4.6?).. and well, since I only have access to this Cloud.. Flash Builder is version 4.7, yet has NO VISUAL DEVELOPMENT TOOLS?!?

what.  the.  double-hocky-sticks is going on?

How should I be looking at these products to create a comprehensive workflow for my projects?  Do I create only the UX/UI in Flash Professional with a minimal amount of actionscript.. and utilize something like Flash Builder for creating my libraries and backend stuff?

I am seriously confused here.  It didn't look like to me that Flash Professional was very MXML friendly... if at all.

Is Adobe going to embrace a new frontend solution like XAML or HTML5...   I am completely aghast by this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 11, 2013 4:04 PM   in reply to tswalk

I'm attempting to expand my knowlege and skill base by learning both Flash Professional and Flash Builder...

Primarily for the purpose of portability and cross-platform compatibility in my application solutions.

In terms of browser compatibility, the flash runtime is not available on IOS devices and support on Mobile browsers has been withdrawn by Adobe. The flash platform can generate applications for mobile devices and standalone applications for the desktop using Adobe Air and 'projectors'.

Flash professional doesn't do MXML at all.

The Design View was controvercially removed from Flash Builder with the release of FB 4.7. Many people relied upon it, others built their interfaces by writing MXML.

Adobe is no longer developing the Flex SDK and has donated the Flex SDK to Apache as an Open Source project. Flex does not figure in future Adobe development that I can see.

Adobe is embracing HTML5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 2:38 PM   in reply to pauland

I have a similar question. I know virtually nothing about all this. My goal is to develop math educational software that can run on Windows, OSX, Android, and IOS. It will look like a basic GUI with some simple animated graphics.

I don't know what "projectors" are? what are they and do I need them?

So is AIR the only way to meet my goal (not Flash?) Is there something AIR can't do compared to Flash?

What is the difference between FLEX and the AIR SDK?

Is Flash Builder useful for me, for developing AIR applications? I am a student so I believe I can get it at no cost.

Thanks,

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 3:45 PM   in reply to madobe1127

Air is a technology developed by Adobe to run software on multiple platforms.

You can use Flash or Flex to create multiplatform software using Adobe's Air technology.

The AIR SDK is simply the common OS interface available to software using the AIR platform (basically libraries that provide a common interface for differrent OS's ).

For the IOS platform Flex/Flash applications can be packaged for IOS. That packing process includes the AIR runtime. SImilarly apps can be packaged as an Android app.

Projectors are basically Flex/Flash applications packaged into a native executable for Windows or Mac - not using the AIR runtime.

A bit of time with Google and AIR would give you a lot of answers.

Have a play with the trial.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 4:03 PM   in reply to pauland

Oh, I've spent a lot of time with Google, and all I can find are confusing statements, forums where people ask questions but the answers are confusing to me because they assume certain knowledge already, or the people whose answers simply aren't fully informed. In many cases the answers are old and out of date.

I just have one other question I would like a definitive answer to: can you package an AIR app for IOS that can be placed in the Apple App store? And, do you need to own a Mac desktop to do this? (one answer I found on Google said something to the effect that you need software only available on OSX to upload an app, but I'm not sure if I believe that).

But I agree that I need to play with the trial of Flex, Flash Builder, and AIR to get some more concrete knowledge.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points