Skip navigation
Christos540
Currently Being Moderated

SWF movie is invisible in html page

Jun 11, 2013 5:44 PM

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on a site that uses an xml video gallery. The swf file points to an xml document, which lists thumbnails and their respective flv files, all

referencing a folder called video gallery. I'm using swfobject to embed the flash file in my html doc. In an attempt to cleanup my files, I've been moving files about,

so the directory structure has changed. For reasons beyond me, the gallery swf file now refuses to display in my html doc. It is invisible, but I know it's there, as I

can right click that area and the flash menu will pop up.

This is driving me crazy. I'm certain it's not a security issue, as I've included my local swf folder as trusted, in the global security settings. I've repeatedly checked that

my relative paths are correct, which they are. What confirms this, is when I publish the swf file in flash, it loads the gallery, which works 100%. However, when that swf

file is placed in my html doc, it becomes invisible. The truely strange thing, is if I move these files to the ftp, they work perfectly. I've heard many instances where flash

files work locally but not online. I have the opposite problem. The original dir structure, had the swf, html, swfobject in the root dir, the xml docs in the scripts dir, and

all the content in the video gallery folder. It seems to me that this particular xml video gallery does not like me dicking around with the folders. The new directory

structure does work online, but not offline, so I am at a complete loss as to why this is. Let me reiterate - I've added the swf folder to the trusted locations in my security

settings. Does anyone have a clue what the hell is going on??

Replies
  • kglad
    72,188 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jun 11, 2013 6:14 PM   in reply to Christos540

what's your url?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 11, 2013 6:17 PM   in reply to Christos540

It sounds like your moving the files around could be the source of the problem, though I can't be sure since I am not sure where the locations changed to relative to each other.   If things were originally all in the root folder, how has that relationship changed with things relocated?

When you place an swf in an html page, anything that swf loads has to be targeted as if that swf is living in the same folder as the html file.  It does not have to live there, but it has to target files it loads as if it does.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 11, 2013 7:08 PM   in reply to Christos540

Based on the structure you just showed, you need to change how the swf targets the xml file.  As I said, it needs to act as if it is in the html folder when it targets the xml file.

xmlData.load("scripts/content.xml");

If the swf is also loading images or other files specified by the xml, then that targeting might need to be adjusted as well.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,188 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jun 11, 2013 9:28 PM   in reply to Christos540

items loaded with a loader and urlloader class instances have paths relative to the html file's location (as you know).  flvplayback source files have paths relative to the swf file's location.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points