Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Very slow editing, playback sluggy even after render ...

Jun 12, 2013 2:15 AM

I working on a movie, footage is mostly 1080p 50 fr. For the moment the movielenght on the timeline  is only 8 minutes and editing is becoming so hard because of the slowness of some tasks...

I explain:

1) At start up loading this latest project is slow

2) Media asset pannel: thumbnails of footage is loading very slow when you go to another folder

3) Pre-viewing of (a part of) the footage already added to the timeline (expertmode) is sluggy, but sometimes even when pre-rendering with the renderbutton is done (the render markers are correct placed) !

Also a crash op PE sometimes happens (but not so frequent)

Final rendering to a format (dvd, mp4 etc) works well but ofcourse it's difficult to make a good movie if pre-viewing of the timelinefootage is not working well ...

So my question is if I replace my internal (ram) memory in my pc from 8 GB to 16 GB, would this fix all this 3 problems ?

I have only 2 memory banks, now with 2x4 gb so I would have to buy 2x8 that's more than 100 euro (more than PE itselfs thus ...).

My pc works well for a recent game like Far Cry 3 so I don't need the memory for other programs ... So I want to be shure if this will fix it.

Finally, my config: PC has a small ssd with win 7 home premium and PE 11 dutch, all other data on traditional HD, separate ghraphics card:

MEDION® AKOYA® PC P5368 E

bought in dec 2012

CPU-typeIntel Core i7 3770
ram8GB
GeheugentypeDDR3
motherboardchipsetIntel H61
bus hdSATA-600
Optische Drive TypeDVD+/-RW DL
VideochipGeForce GTX 560
Opslagcapaciteit64GB
HardeschijftypeSolid State Disk
Opslagcap. tweede schijf1,5TB
Hardeschijftype tweede schijf7200rpm

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 12, 2013 3:54 AM   in reply to fredowww66

That machine should have plenty enough power to run PRE11. Increasing your RAM further is not likely to make too much difference.

The first things I would check are that your scratch disks in PRE preferences are set to your hard drive and not your SSD, and look at what other programs are running at startup that might be slowing down your PC. Disable those you don't need permanently running.

You might try, temporarily, disabling real time protection on your anti virus / spyware software and seeing if that makes a difference.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 3:57 AM   in reply to fredowww66

Also ensure that your graphics and audio drivers, windows updates and QuickTime are all updated to the very latest versions.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 6:29 AM   in reply to fredowww66

fredowww66

Just quick questions:

How much free hard drive space is on the "traditional HD" to which you direct your Scratch Disks?

Please go to the manufacturer of your graphics and audio card to assure that you have the latest driver for each.

If you go to the Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/11.0, are there pile up of preview files in the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder and in addition conformed audio files (cfa and pek sets) in the Media Cache Folder there? Have you gone to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and clicked on the "Clean" button to get rid of pile ups of conformed video files?

Have you run the regular and registry parts of the free cclean computer optimizing program?

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 3:45 PM   in reply to fredowww66

fredowww66 wrote:

Graphics and audio drivers I'm not sure but I suppose there will be a windows/nvidea icon message if there are new graphic drivers available.

I'd never install graphics drivers via Windows Update (they can be outdated). Nvidia will only notify you if you have installed their update checking software. If you have not go to their website at http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us and get the latest version. Much the same for Audio - go to the manufacturers site for the latest drivers.

fredowww66 wrote:

I don't run other programs while I'll use PE11

Maybe not but PC's as supplied invariably have all kinds of stuff automatically running at start up that you may not need.

What anti-virus software do you run? Many have reported Norton or McAfee as causing a major performance hit on PRE although, as I don't use either, I cannot personally confirm.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 4:16 AM   in reply to fredowww66

fredowww66

I am just starting my day and will study your reply fuller later today, but I did want to get back to you on one point for your immediate review.

You wrote

I'm working under a normal user windows 7 account, could it be possible that PE11 is not dealing well with simple user accounts .... (and that you have to use an admin account ...

It has been classic that Premiere Elements (any version) requires that it be run from a User Account with Administrative Privileges. Or have you right clicked the program's desktop icon and selected Run As Administrator?

You also spoke of shifting Scratch Disk locations. Have you specified a custom location in Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks or are you using Same As Project, assuming that the project will follow where you think the Scratch Disks are going?

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 8:14 AM   in reply to fredowww66

What is the "normal way" is not what you need to do for Premiere Elements... the program will not ask you for your admin password, it will simply fail

This note is for a different program, but the steps are the same

Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to fredowww66

Programs, such as PrE, need full read/write privledges, as there ARE many working files required in video editing. With most programs, one is only dealing with simple documents, and then writes are just when one Saves that document. That is why, as ATR points out, PrE really likes to be run from an Administrator Account. That gives PrE the capabilities to read/write, as required, when required.

The User Account could be the reason that PrE is not holding the Scratch Disk locations that you are specifying - it does not have the rights to change things on the computer?

As I only have my full Administrator Account (have from at least Windows 3.0 and all my versions of NT), I do not know what limitations one might encounter with a non-Administrator User Account.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to fredowww66

fredowww66

If you have 1080p50, then your Premiere Elements 11 project preset should be 1080p50.

But, in the days before the availability of 1080p50 in the Premiere Elements 11 project presets, the user could import 1080p50 using the 1080p25 project preset and then export with the appropriate export for 1080p50. Export settings in control of the project goals.

One the key features of setting the project preset is for it to direct the program to set up the correct space for that choice in the Edit Mode Monitor for editing purposes. So whether you use 1080p50 or 1080p25, there should be the same space (1920 x 1080 16:9) reflected in the Edit Mode Monitor.

So, unless you are doing frame to frame editing, it is possible to take p50 out of the equation. The project preset has other tasks some obvious, like make the correct disc menu set type available for you in the project, and other subtle one related to project settings.

You can try it the new and old way. But it should not be expected be different in your end product encoded to 1080p50.

Please review. And, do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 9:02 AM   in reply to fredowww66

fredpwww66

After my latest post, I did a browse through the whole post since I have not had a chance to visit your thread lately.

One thing that struck me was that the one thing that did seem to be out of sorts, namely, scratch discs topic, seemed to have been detoured away from by other suggestions.

So, let me get back to scratch discs to clear that aspect of the matter away...

To what location are the scratch disc presently located...specific path to...are they all going to the same place...if not, which to where...and how much free hard drive space at that location?

If these scratch disks all or any are directed to an external hard drive, what is the format of the drive and have you noticed it unexplainably changing drive letters from time to time?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points