Skip navigation
kbrogers
Currently Being Moderated

"Could not create ac3" error when burning Blu-ray

Jun 12, 2013 5:30 AM

Tags: #cs5 #error #blu-ray #encore #ac3 #sessionfiles

I've spent the last week designing a Blu-ray in Encore CS5.  Upon burning, I was given the error message "Cannot create '_sessionfiles_Dsf_session_1_audio.ac3", and the burn failed (after going for seven hours).  I really don't even know where to begin with this.  The Blu-ray is about 80% full (20 GB) and includes multiple timelines and several menus (one of which has audio).  No pop-ups.  It should be a fairly straightforward project.  However, it's given me problem after problem and has taken way too much time.  Can anyone offer insight before I spend another week tracking down the problem?  Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 12, 2013 6:36 AM   in reply to kbrogers

Re "upon burning..."

Did you use "transcode now" to transcode timeline assets prior to the build? This can help sort out what type of asset the problem is occurring in.

What format is your audio in that it is transcoding from?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 7:48 AM   in reply to kbrogers

The files will not take any more space that they would when doing the transcode at build time. When an asset is not to specifications, Encore transcodes it/re-transcodes it to a folder inside the  Encore project directories (under [Encore Project]/Sources/Transcodes), whether the transcode occurs during the build or using Transcode Now.

You may receive errors due to low disk space, and they may not be correctly identified as due to disk space. And yes, Encore uses much more space than the size of the Bluray to build it.

mp3's cause a variety of problems for DVDs/BDs. They may work just fine too, and it is often difficult to tell the difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 9:11 AM   in reply to kbrogers

The transcodes don't require as much "extra" space, and you can transcode one or more at a time. If the mp3 works, you're probably okay. So I might try the transcodes without replacing. The replacement files (generally you want to convert to a wav, which is uncompressed pcm) will be larger, but that is not usually a factor.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 12:18 PM   in reply to kbrogers

Congrats and condolences then!

Either the burn was bad (the failure to verify), in which case, a reburn might fix it, or you have a navigation problem, in which case you need to fix that.

Can you navigate by menu to the special features? Is the end action of the timeline for the main movie clearly set to the special features menu? In Encore preview, in the main timeline, click the "end action" icon; does that work correctly?

You can also try to play the image, to see if it behaves correctly (again pointing to a bad burn). The problem with that is that a) you generally have to mount the image and b) some software players don't emulate correctly and a failure doesn't mean much. But if it did play correctly, it points to a bad burn.

What third party burning software failed?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 5:13 AM   in reply to kbrogers

Excellent!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers