Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

colours of imported postscript not displayed properly in illustrator

Jun 12, 2013 8:15 AM

Tags: #illustrator #cs5 #color

Hi,

I produced a colour map and colour gradient legend as a postscript file (.ps) using generic mapping tools software running under linux. When I import this file into illustrator (in windows 8) the colour map is fine, but the colour gradient does not display properly. It appears as a bunch of white spaces and vertical colour bands of random colour. When I then try to export the file as a .pdf the colour gradient appears as solid blue. I've also tried producing a .pdf instead of .ps but it makes no difference.

It's worth noting that I have done this in the past with no problems. This particular problem first occurred a few months ago and is now persistent.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 12, 2013 8:41 AM   in reply to garthboy9999

view >> overprint preview

if that does not solve your issue, can you post a screenshot please

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 9:42 AM   in reply to garthboy9999

What happens if you go back to an old file that used to work? I assume nothing changed like your OS or software verison since this was working. Any way to reset the preferences of your generic mapping software?

What message do you get if any when openiong teh .ps file in illustrator, I get a quck flash parsing .eps file.

Are you able to post a ftp link of your .ps file so we can try and see if it works for us or the gradient fails.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 2:02 AM   in reply to garthboy9999

The color bar is not a vector image ("... why not?", one may ask its developers ...) but a 4-bit 16 color bitmap instead. So it appears Illustrator cannot handle this.

Converting it to a PDF with the Distiller works as expected, though. Even better, this PDF can be opened with Illustrator, and then, oh the magic!, the color bar image appears just fine as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 2:08 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

(Annoying footnote: your PS file imports *perfectly* into InDesign!

It's "annoying" because, well, why should ID's PostScript Import be better! than the PostScript flagship program Illustrator originally was designed to be!)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 7:14 AM   in reply to garthboy9999

There are no import options to change in Illustrator to make it work. Usually I argue against using Illustrator as a general purpose PDF editor, but since it seems to be your only option here it is better than nothing (i.e., what you got from Illy itself).

It's worth noting that I have done this in the past with no problems. This particular problem first occurred a few months ago and is now persistent.

The problem is that the color bar is a 4-bit color image. Did that recently change with an update of your mapping software? Open one of your Illy files that were okay and check the color bar -- is it vector or bitmap? If it's a bitmap, can you "edit" it with Photoshop? (It's not a good day to be an Adobe spokesperson: much to my surprise, Top Market best Seller Photoshop cannot edit 4-bit color images!)

Let's talk Versions as well. I distilled with Distiller 9, but it seems that is not the magic solution (as you already see that it worked). Both Illustrator and InDesign: CS4. Platform: Windows 7.

That combo works for me.

A minor -- relatively unrelated -- note:

garthboy9999 wrote:

I also tried to import the .ps file into indesign (which I've never used before), as you suggest, but I got an error about the program not being able to recognize the file format (maybe a plugin missing?).

No, that indicates you attempted to "open" your ps. You must create a new document first, then use "Place" -- Adobe's terminology for what every other program on the planet calls "Import". It's relatively inconsequential, because either failure or success with InDesign doesn't mean that much; I only included it to point out another blatant unnecessary difference between the two programs.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points