Skip navigation
PeggyPollice
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 FTP not working

Jun 12, 2013 10:02 AM

Tags: #ftp_download

Hi,

I have a few domains and hosting with Godaddy. I would like each domain to have their own usernamd and password for their ftp files. When I use my main username and password for the entire hosting account the files load on the server fine. When I use the usernamd and password that I have set up specifically for this domain it does not load up. I know that  the usernamd and password are correct because they work when I test them on ftp.mydomain.com.

ftp.png

Has anyone had this problem and can help me with it?

Thank you

Peggy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 12, 2013 10:51 AM   in reply to PeggyPollice

Most of the replies you'll get here are "GoDaddy sucks, don't use them". I myself have never had an issue with them and the customer service I've gotten has been fairly decent. Have you tried contacting them to see what could be going on?

Is that folder the correct root folder for the site?

Also, is this only happening with Dreamweaver, or does the same thing occur if you use a 3rd party FTP program like Filezilla?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 1:53 PM   in reply to PeggyPollice

Try switching it to Passive FTP in the Advanced tab

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 2:10 PM   in reply to PeggyPollice

Have you tried deleting the username/password and then entering again to make sure the details are entered correctly DW.  You can't be sure about passwords because they are all asterisks and so deleting it and then entering again is the only way to double check!!!.

Also, when you say "it doesn't load up" do you get any error messages on the screen.  If so, can you grab a screen shot of the message and post here.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 2:24 PM   in reply to PeggyPollice

Yep.  It is to do with the permission on the folder.  You need to go to GoDaddy's control panel and then create a user (which you have) and give that user permission for that folder (kikis).  I don't use GoDaddy so I can't post pictures here but it is to do with the permission;  I'm pretty sure about this.  I will try to search the net if there is some instructions to create permissions on the folder.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 2:25 PM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

Also make sure the folder exist on the server.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 2:39 PM   in reply to mytaxsite.co.uk

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

Also make sure the folder exist on the server.

Yep, use your main ftp info to create a folder called kikis if it's not already there.

DW doesn't create the root folder on the server, it just adds files from the local root (whatever you call your site folder on your computer) to the site root that you set (kikis). If the folder isn't created first, DW won't be able to find anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 2:01 PM   in reply to PeggyPollice

Uh, it's probably not best to give out FTP credentials like that, but you're missing the server name anyway, so no biggie.

Filezilla is a free download and use program.

EDIT: I can attach fine, but it's just an empty root folder.

EDIT: DW can also connect, but Passive FTP needed to be checked.

EDIT: Putting test.html worked fine from DW too.

EDIT: So did deleting test.html from DW.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 2:08 PM   in reply to PeggyPollice

Since it's the root directory, leave off kikis from the Host Directory field and see what happens. That's what I did.

test.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points