Skip navigation
pgevans
Currently Being Moderated

My UK dictionary isn't working properly?

Jun 12, 2013 10:36 AM

Tags: #uk #dictionary

My language is set to English (UK), however InDesign isn't flagging common mispellings. It is acting like the US dictionary. For example, it uses "z" instead of "s" in "izes" and programme is program.

I can't delete those words from my user dictionary because it only allows me to edit words that I have added. Last year it worked flawlessly, but now I can't spell check anything UK correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 12, 2013 11:12 AM   in reply to pgevans

I see the same thing here. I don't know if it will help, but if you go to the prefs for dictionary there's a choice to use the User Dictionary Only.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 1:58 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I don't see that here (INDD CS6.0.1, WinXP SP3)

When I assigned English:UK to a story, the spell checker flagged color, defense, and theater as incorrect and suggested colour, defence, and theatre as corrections. It did, however, allow recognize.

Interestingly, when I used the UK spellings and assigned English:USA to the story, the spell checker only flagged colour as incorrect and let defence, theatre, and recognise stand.

With English:Canadian assigned to the story, it allowed either spelling for the first three, but it insisted on recognize. Strange.

-Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2013 11:39 AM   in reply to pgevans

I'm having the same issue in INDD CS 5, OSX 10.6.8. UK spell-check was working fine a few months ago until I had an unrelated problem in another file in which my small caps stopped working in some fonts. Following the advice on another Adobe forum thread, I installed patch update CS5 to 7.0.4. This fixed the small caps problem but now my UK spell check no longer catches the common mispellings described above by pgevans. All other variables are the same, as I'm working on the same US-to-UK file from a few months ago, so I think there was something in the patch that affected INDD's dictionaries in spell check. Any help? Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to hworkman3

And you are sure the words are all correclty tagged as UK English?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 11:16 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I'm not sure what you're asking when you say "the words are all correclty tagged..." If you mean, do I have the dictionary set to UK, then yes. I made sure it is set to UK English in both Document Preferences, then checked each paragraph and character style sheet to make sure they were all set to use the UK English dictionary as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to hworkman3

I mean if you select the word where it appears inthe document, is the language assigned really UK English in the Language field of the Character or Control panel? The preference setting has nothing to do with assigning languages, only to choose which of multipel dictionaries to use if more than one is installed, and style options might be overridden.

That isn't to say that there may not be a real problem, but you need to be sure the correct language is assigned before we can say there is.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,127 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 15, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to hworkman3

To illustrate Peter's point, this paragraph style has English assigned:

Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 2.46.26 PM.png

But bonjour's character style is French:

Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 2.46.56 PM.png

As a selection of characters the language is mixed:

Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 2.50.24 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 2:18 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Rob, thanks for the clarification. Yes, all the text is properly flagged as "UK English." It's behaving like Bill and pgevans describe above: catching some words such as color, specialty, and center but missing common "z" instead of "s" spellings such as customize and utilize. When I created my file several months ago, spell-check was catching everything but now it isn't. Since the only thing I can think of that's changed was the 7.0.4 patch, that was my first thought as to the culprit. Is there some other setting I could've inadvertently changed? Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2013 2:42 PM   in reply to hworkman3

I can't imagine why an update would have involved the dictionary, but I don't have a good explanation otherwise.

Of course the bad news is that it will never get fixed if that really is the issue.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points