Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Hebrew project in FrameMaker11

Jun 12, 2013 1:54 PM

Tags: #in #to #right #support #left #languages #fm11

Hi,

I have read a post dated 2009 where someone asked about Righ-to-Left support in FM (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3080754#3080754). Now, FrameMaker is evolved to FM11. Is there any chance they included a feature for RTL languages while using an international version of FM11?

I even move forward with my question. I have FM10. Is there any chance to buy an upgrade to FM11 ME? Will that work with LTR languages?

Best regards,

Sebastian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 12, 2013 2:23 PM   in reply to sebdea

All versions of FM are international, but I don’t think they support RTL languages – check the specs page on the Adobe website.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 2:25 PM   in reply to sebdea

Hi Sebastien,

RTL languages are still not supported in FM11.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 7:10 AM   in reply to sebdea

Yes, you are correct that ID and FM are not the same - ID has been improving their long-doc support (a strength of FM) but some features are still not supported. Having no experience with ID, I can't tell you much about importing XML into it. I would suggest you download a trial of ID and play around wih it. Since you couldn't put Hebrew in FM to begin with, I'm not sure what sort of translation conversion you're trying to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 7:44 AM   in reply to sebdea

Ah, ok I see – you’re receiving LTR language files in FM (like English) and are looking to translate the content to a RTL language (like Hebrew). Yeah, that’s not going to work in FM. I don’t have any experience in translation, but don’t they use  something called TRADOS (or something like that) to store translations in memory so that edits to the source language don’t result in completely new translations of the whole thing? How does the agency usually handle this LTR to RTL situation?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 7:51 AM   in reply to sebdea

Id is great for importing XML, not great at exporting XML. It's best used in an unstructured environment, or as a conduit for publishing structured content.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to sebdea

Sounds like it’s worth a try – let us know how it goes ;>)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points