Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

typing of accented characters changes font

Jun 12, 2013 3:10 PM

I'm using Illustrator CS6 on a Mountain Lion Mac. Got a weird problem with one of my fonts. I'm used to type accented characters like é by typing option-e plus e. Which works so far. On one of my fonts however, EuroComic, when I want to type the é character and start with option-e, it already changes the font to Myriad Pro. Typing the e after that makes it é, but in Myriad Pro, not EuroComic. It has always worked before when I was still using Snow Leopard. And it's not a font problem I think, cause in Indesign that same way of using option-e plus e works. The é is at the correct spot in EuroComic cause when I select all text and change it to EuroComic (after having typed that é), not only does all text turn into EuroComic again, but also that now Myriad Pro é turns back to EuroComic é. What could it be that could make illustrator turn the font to Myriad Pro after typing option-e on that parcitular font? With other fonts like Arial etc. I don't have that problem.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 12, 2013 5:15 PM   in reply to jiggy1965

Look at Type > Glyphs to see whether é is in your font.

Type é and watch the Glyphs panel while you have é selected.

What shows up?

If there is something wrong with the font you will need softwarwe such as FontLab Studio to correct the arrangement of the font table.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 1:52 AM   in reply to jiggy1965

Illustrator is too smart.

With other fonts like Arial etc. I don't have that problem.

Arial contains a separate acute character, and I bet your EuroComic does not. Illustrator tries to 'protect the stupid user' by automatically changing the font because it thinks you are trying to insert a character that is unavailable in the current font. (You are, but only for a short while.)

Go to Preferences, Type, and un-check "Enable Missing Glyph Protection" to fix this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 2:29 AM   in reply to jiggy1965

Colaflash wrote:

why is it thinking the é isn't available in EuroComic while it is?

Exactly what I said: "it thinks you are trying to insert a character that is unavailable in the current font. (You are, but only for a short while.)"

It has nothing to do with the 'location' of "é" -- this is the same as in every font. It's due to the way you can type in accented characters in Mac OS X.

You type an acute character; Illustrator receives it and switches immediately to the fallback font (Myriad Pro). Next you type an 'e'. Your friendly Mac OS, watching over your shoulder, removes the acute accent and replaces it with an é. Illustrator doesn't notice this and leaves the font changed to Myriad.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 2:39 AM   in reply to jiggy1965

Please read again what I say above about how an accented character is entered in OS X.

Illustrator doesn't think the é is unavailable, it thinks the single acute accent ´ is unavailable. And it is correct in that, for EuroComic, so Illy changes the font to Myriad.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 5:30 AM   in reply to jiggy1965

I have seen this too in Fonts that are made by non-professionals.

One way I found to bypass this is to type the text in text editor and paste it then into Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points