Skip navigation
Genetrump
Currently Being Moderated

Codec error

Jun 12, 2013 3:57 PM

I use Premiere Elements 11 and saved a project in an external drive.    The project is saved with the Elements extension.   When I attempt to reopen the project,  I receive the codec error.    This is strange because it was saved as an Elements project.   It has something to do with saving it in the external hard drive but I have no idea what that is.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 12, 2013 4:44 PM   in reply to Genetrump

It sounds like you're trying to import the project rather than open it. Project files don't have codecs.

Have you ensured that you're trying to open a project file and not a media (AVI, M2T, MPEG) file?

Project files are .prel. You open them by going to File/Open.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 4:58 PM   in reply to Genetrump

Genetrump

How did you attempt to open this project.prel file that you saved to your external hard drive?

Did you right click the project.prel there and select Open With followed by Premiere Elements 11 or something else?

By the way, how is your external hard drive formatted...NTFS or FAT32?

If you cannot get the project.prel file to open as I suggest or as suggested by SG, then please move the file and Adobe Folder wherein it resides back to Documents on the Local Disc C to determine if the problem is resolved.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 6:32 PM   in reply to Genetrump

Media Offline, is likely due to the absolute Path to the media files having changed.

First, see this article for more detail on PREL files: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3397716#3397716

Next, this article addresses "Media Offline:" http://forums.adobe.com/message/3561281#3561281

Finally, for "Where is file ____ ?" see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4598705#4598705

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 7:07 PM   in reply to Genetrump

Genetrump

If that external hard drive is formatted to FAT32 it should be reformatted to NTFS (it is quick and easy to do...more information on that depending on what you find). To quickly determine the format of that external hard drive....

Go to Computer and under Hard Disk Drives find the icon for your external hard drive. Right click the icon, select Properties.

Look to the General Tab under Properties. Toward the top of the General Tab, you should see

Type: Local Disk

File System: NTFS or whatever it is.

Where do you have the media saved that went into this project that you are trying to open?

If you got so far as to open the project and see the missing media messages, please use them to tell the project.prel where these files are current provided you still have them and know where they are.

One of the worse events in Premiere Elements is disconnecting your source photos from the project. Typically you do that my moving the media that went into the project after the project has been saved closed. We can talk about using the Project Archiver later after the current situation is resolved.

I would ask. Can you still open a new project and import your files into it from wherever they are now, presumed in Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/11.0.

A just in case note...probably a typing error, but you mentioned PSE in your latest post. Typically that is an abbreviation used to designate Photoshop Elements. Did you really mean to refer to Premiere Elements instead?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 5:38 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Meantime, please answer the questions in my original post.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 6:35 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

SG

Good morning.

Regarding you latest post...

I think that you really want to address your reply to Genetrump, not me.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 6:45 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

That's what I did, Tony. Are you assuming it's to you because you're receiving e-mails from this forum?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 7:18 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

SG

I think that you are missing the key here

Please look at post #6 in this thread....this has nothing to do with the email notifications of threads posted in this forum.

Do you not see that what you are putting in the "in reply to...."

for your message to the originator of this thread? This has been happening a few times lately with other threads where you post your reply to the originator putting my ID in the in reply to field. Glitch in the system?

ATR

SG.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 7:45 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

Just speculation on my part, but until about a Jive generation, or two, we also had a Reply to Original (or similar syntax), so that one could easily reply to the OP, regardless of where they were in a thread. Now, there is only Reply at the bottom of a thread, and it links to the last post, which might not be to the OP. I have made that mistake, as well, when I intended my Reply to be to the OP - unless one moves up-thread, the Reply To will possibly not be correct.

In Flattened View (how most browser-users see the forums), it is not always obvious, except for the Reply To line. In Threaded View, it would be obvious.

Guess that I do not read that Reply To line all that carefully. In this case, I just assumed that Steve G. was Replying to the OP with the plea for more info, and never saw that it was actually to you. I miss the old Reply to Original myself, as that function was what I used most often. Now, I have to scroll a bit.

Just thinking here,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 8:02 AM   in reply to Genetrump

Genetrump,

You are correct that there are some differences in Saving between a program, like Photoshop, or Illustrator, and Premiere, which uses the XML database PREL for the Project.

In very general terms, the Save, Save_As, etc. function about the same, but in a different way.

Good luck, and please update us on your progress and success.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 11:14 AM   in reply to Genetrump

Gene,

Sounds like we both started with Ps about the same day, so very long ago.

It took me a moment to grasp how Save differed between Ps and Pr. In very general terms, Pr has two levels of Save - the Project (PREL, or PRPROJ, depending on the version of Pr), and then the output, which is more like Save in Ps. Some users even confuse the terms, and use Save, when they mean output, which is Export, or Share, or Publish+Share, depending on the version of the program. Though the same term, "Save" is used, they ARE different operations, yielding different results between Ps and Pr.

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt

PS - you are not the first person to ask about Saving, hence my writing of that article.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points