Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

LR5 Import dialog does not list any images

Jul 2, 2013 10:00 AM

Tags: #lightroom_5

Lightroom 5 is not seeing that a folder of images I'm trying to import has any images in it. The folder is question has well over 5,000 jpegs (it's my iPhone image depository). While I was able to import images from this folder with no problem in LR4, LR5 is telling me that there are no images in the folder. I've double checked that all my import settings are normal and the same as LR4 and it doens't matter. No matter what I do, I cannot get LR5 to see that there are any images in this folder to import.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Antonio

Here's an image of what's happening:

Screenshot_6_12_13_11_30_PM.jpg

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 12, 2013 11:44 PM   in reply to Antonio Rosario

Very odd indeed.

some steps i would take:

If the folder already exists in the Folder panel, select it and Choose Library > Synchronize Folder.

If it doesnt already exist (becasue you cannot catalog it contents) place a PSD file in it, then synchronize.

Try (via finder) moving a few of the images in the folder to another folder that has been cataloged. Then synchronize that folder to see if the images show.

If that works, move them (via Lightroom) to the Camera Roll folder. Then synchronize that folder.

Instead of invoking the Import Dialog first, drag an image from th Camera Roll folder onto the Library module or the Lr icon. That will bring up the import dialog. see if you get the same results.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 11:34 AM   in reply to Antonio Rosario

Had the same problem. I clicked on Destination on the right and all images were showing up instantly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 5:19 AM   in reply to Antonio Rosario

Installed 5 yesterday and having the same problem as Antonio.  Using the import tool for Canon 7D and SL1 .cr2 files and LR shows both cards as blank even though I can see the files in windows explorer.  I've also tried importing them from different locations (From the camera, memory card, hard drive) and still shows up blank.

The kicker is I can open them through canon DPP, Photoshop, and LR 4.4.  The LR 5 about screen shows RAW version 8.1 (not sure if that makes a difference or not).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 12:13 PM   in reply to Antonio Rosario

I'm having the same problem.  The photos are not showing up in the files.  I even tried to uninstall and install it again, same problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 5:14 PM   in reply to Antonio Rosario

Hi all,

What operating system are you running on when experiencing this issue?

Is this Mac or Windows only or both?

If you create a new LR5 catalog, does it see the images in the folder?

What about the permissions on that folder, are they appropriate for your user permissions? (full read-write priveledges)

Regards,

Pete

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 5:44 PM   in reply to Pete.Green

It's windows 8

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 6:50 PM   in reply to Antonio Rosario

Same Problem. Running OSX 10.8.4. Photos show up in finder and will open in Photoshop, but Lightroom won't recognize files. Says "No photos or videos were found to import".

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 8:46 AM   in reply to Antonio Rosario

I'm having a similar problem.  I upgraded to LR5 from LR3 on Windows 8.  I've had folders with, for instance, 208 photos show up in LR5 with only 33 photos.  I've tried re-importing but nothing happens.  I've tried just re-importing that folder and LR5 says that there are no new photos to be imported.  I tried Synchronizing the folder as was suggested in this thread and the initial dialog box actually asked for OK to import the additional 175 photos or videos.  However, the next dialog box said there were no new photos or videos to import.  This is a frustrating bug. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 10:09 AM   in reply to Pete.Green

Hi Pete,

To answer your questions:

What operating system are you running on when experiencing this issue?

Is this Mac or Windows only or both?

- Windows 7 64bit

If you create a new LR5 catalog, does it see the images in the folder?

- No it does not.  I've tried it with both RAW and jpeg files with no luck.

What about the permissions on that folder, are they appropriate for your user permissions? (full read-write priveledges)

- I'm using an administrator account so permissions aren't an issue.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 3:41 AM   in reply to Antonio Rosario

I have just connected my Canon EOS 5D M3 to my MacBook Pro running OSX 10.8.4 and the camera appears in the import dialogue but no photo's are shown.

I also carried out a synch of my Pictures folder and it identified 2 new photo's again they do not appear in the import dialogue. All was working fine in LR4 before I upgraded to LR5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 4:52 AM   in reply to Marti_b

Exactly the same problem here as with the OP.

This is very strange and very frustrating. Syncing the folder finds the new images, but then cannot import them, bringing up a dialog box with "No photos or videos were found to import". It is no help dragging folders from Finder into LR5 either. No issue with permissions etc.

LR4 sees the folder perfectly fine, but LR5 seems to be entirely blind to it.

Running OS X 10.8.4.

EDIT: Also tried deleting the preference files. No luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 6:20 AM   in reply to Marti_b

Just had a look on my iMac and it works correctly but not on my MacBook Pro

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 7:49 AM   in reply to Marti_b

I think I discovered the issue with mine.  As I mentioned above I was only getting partial folders imported.  When I tried to synchronize the dialog box would indicate that it recognized the missing photos but would not import them.  This morning I tried synchronizing and checked the "show import dialog before importing" box.  It again reflected that there were no photos.  I then clicked on "All" photos at the top of the screen and all of the photos were shown but only the ones that were actually imported previously highlighted (or darkened, if you will).  I then noticed on the right side of the screen that the box was checked to "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates" under File Handling.  I unchecked that box and was able to import the missing photos.  Hopefully this will help some of the others with issues. 

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to jsbvt

Damn you beat me to it, I have just been playing around with LR5 and found the same solution.

On the File Handling during import untick 'Don't import suspected Duplicates' and the images appear.

Now I have done this once I can now tick it again and the images still appear, even after the import dialogue is closed down and reopened

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 9:06 AM   in reply to jsbvt

Thank you it worked.

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 7:12 AM   in reply to meia1969

Still no luck with mine.

No matter what I check, uncheck, select or deselect, nothing changes and I can't see anything that's in that folder.

Can anyone else suggest something that might work?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to Richard Plumridge

As I go through my entire library, my solution only works for some folders, but doesn't work for all folders.  For these other folders, there are photos that LR5 doesn't recognize at all. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 5:05 PM   in reply to jsbvt

I managed to sort of find a way around it. Not satisfactory, but it does the job.

Basically my folder structure is this: the folder I'm attempting to import images from is a folder on my ext HDD where I store my iPhone photos, let's call it "iPhone Pics".

I copy them across from my phone to "iPhone Pics" once a week, or so, and then import the new images into LR.

It is this "iPhone Pics" folder LR5 will simply not recognise. If I try to copy the data to a new folder elsewhere on the HDD, the same thing happens.

What I've done is copy my hundred or so new iPhone images from the phone to a new folder, "Temp iPhone Pics" with just those new images in it.

LR5 recognises "Temp iPhone Pics" without a problem and imports it.

Within the library window, I then drag the contents of "Temp iPhone Pics" to "iPhone Pics" and it copies the files on the HDD to the "iPhone Pics" folder without a problem.

This is not a solution, not a workaround. My only guess is that something has been corrupted within the catalogue file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2013 7:46 AM   in reply to Antonio Rosario

I'm having the same Issue here with OSX 10.8 and LR5. Really pisses me off. Lr 4.x worked like a charm.

I tried it with the import via connected iPhone and nothing happened. The "waiting" animation run for ever. Digital-Pictures-App on the other hand showed the pictures instantly. I then imported the pictures via the app and tried to import the files from my ssd. "no pictures found". Other Formats like Phase One or Canon Raw-Files worked fine. i really hope there will be a fix soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 10:48 AM   in reply to Antonio Rosario

I am having the same problem...every other sub-folder shows the pictures but 1 of them says "No photos found" yet there are over a 100 in there.  Could it be because there are non-supported file types in that folder?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 1:49 PM   in reply to Antonio Rosario

Aside from Marti_B -- Is everybody having trouble with photos (.JPGs?) taken from an iPhone? or iPad?

How are you going about the import process from device to computer to lightroom?

Are you copying them to the folder and then importing into lightroom?

Or doing the import from within Lightroom to the folder on your drive?

If somebody could walk me through the workflow here, that'd be great so I can pass it on to the engineers to be able to test this out.

IF you can create a video screencapture (use something like JING) of the import trouble, that would be helpul as well.

Regards

Pete

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2013 7:14 PM   in reply to Pete.Green

Ok, so until now I've been using Image Capture on Mountain Lion to copy the images into a folder containing my iPhone photos in Finder. There are faster ways of doing it, but I guess old habits die hard.

When I select that folder to import images, none appear.

Since having this problem, I've been able to work around it by connecting my phone and importing them directly from the phone into the Lightroom catalogue. It is frustrating, however, when establish workflows are disrupted.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 5:24 AM   in reply to Pete.Green

Pete,

It seems that some are having luck with importing photos through work arounds but I still can't get LR5 to import anything regardless of what I've tried.  My problem is that LR5 does not see any media when attempting to import. Here are some specifics:

• Tested on Windows 7 64bit
    • Running administrative account with no permission issues
    • I've uninstalled/installed LR5 several times which didn't resolve the issue
    • I've tried with importing my existing LR4.4 catalog and creating an new catalog

I created a video that captures my normal workflow.  As you can see, LR5 cannot see any of the photos (CR2 and JPG) from the memory card or hard drive but LR4.4 can see them both with no issues.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 1:18 PM   in reply to Antonio Rosario

Same problem here, also with iPhone photos. I have the same workflow as Richard Plumridge: imageCapture from phone to a temp directory then import from there into Lightroom. My 'import' folder is on my desktop and I'm getting 'No photos found.'

Lightroom 5, OSX 10.8.2

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 2:50 PM   in reply to drew-beck

Similar problem here:

Lightroom 5

Mac OS X 10.8.4

Try to import CR2 files from CF card - files show in import screen but then will not import

"Import Results

Some import operations were not performed.

The following files were not imported because they could not be read (1)"

Then lists files......

I tried copying CR2 files to a temporary folder on my desktop but get exactly the same message. Also tried importing iPhone images and get exactly the same message.

This all worked for the first week LR5 was installed and has just started happening!

Have no problems at all in Lightroom 4.4

l

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 3:07 PM   in reply to GaryTW

Did this start happening after the last update of your Mac OSX system Check that your user permissions for the location you are trying to import the files to are full read and write.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 3:16 PM   in reply to DdeGannes

I'm set as the admin, so nothing should have changed (?) The location hasn't changed

Where would I check permissions?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 3:29 PM   in reply to drew-beck

SOLVED FOR ME:

I discovered that my folder had an XMP file in it. When I removed that file from the directory Lightroom could see the folder and contents.

It looks like the XMP was created on my phone by Apple's built-in image editing tool, which would (partly) explain why it showed up on my import from Image Capture. I can't seep to replicate that, however — I just shot and edited a photo on my phone and imported w/ Image Capture and no XMP file showed up.

I hope this helps someone else!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 10:56 PM   in reply to Antonio Rosario

Unfortunately no XMP file here, so the problem persits

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 1:07 AM   in reply to Antonio Rosario

Solved!

Yep, there was an XMP file in my folder also. Deleted it and now it's fine.

It's a shame it's not the same fix for you, Gary. Frustrating, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 1:52 AM   in reply to Richard Plumridge

Yes it is VERY frustrating, especially as LR5 has worked perfectly until yesterday and nothing has changed,

I found one .xmp file asscoiated with Elements and have deleted that but with no result.

Even worse I'm due away on an assignment next weekend for 10 days and would have liked to have use LR5 on that, as the radial fliter would have been useful.

So I'm stuck with LR4 until something happens!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 2:04 AM   in reply to GaryTW

just found a workaround - I've used "Import from another catalog" to get the files from LR4 to LR5 - a workaround but not a solution

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 9:18 PM   in reply to GaryTW

Gary, given that your problem is pretty different and not solved by the newly-discovered fix I'd recommend starting a new thread to get it looked at properly.

d

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points