• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR5 Import dialog does not list any images

Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 5 is not seeing that a folder of images I'm trying to import has any images in it. The folder is question has well over 5,000 jpegs (it's my iPhone image depository). While I was able to import images from this folder with no problem in LR4, LR5 is telling me that there are no images in the folder. I've double checked that all my import settings are normal and the same as LR4 and it doens't matter. No matter what I do, I cannot get LR5 to see that there are any images in this folder to import.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Antonio

Here's an image of what's happening:

Screenshot_6_12_13_11_30_PM.jpg

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 29, 2013 Jun 29, 2013

SOLVED FOR ME:

I discovered that my folder had an XMP file in it. When I removed that file from the directory Lightroom could see the folder and contents.

It looks like the XMP was created on my phone by Apple's built-in image editing tool, which would (partly) explain why it showed up on my import from Image Capture. I can't seep to replicate that, however — I just shot and edited a photo on my phone and imported w/ Image Capture and no XMP file showed up.

I hope this helps someone else!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 160 Replies 160
Advisor ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very odd indeed.

some steps i would take:

If the folder already exists in the Folder panel, select it and Choose Library > Synchronize Folder.

If it doesnt already exist (becasue you cannot catalog it contents) place a PSD file in it, then synchronize.

Try (via finder) moving a few of the images in the folder to another folder that has been cataloged. Then synchronize that folder to see if the images show.

If that works, move them (via Lightroom) to the Camera Roll folder. Then synchronize that folder.

Instead of invoking the Import Dialog first, drag an image from th Camera Roll folder onto the Library module or the Lr icon. That will bring up the import dialog. see if you get the same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If the folder already exists in the Folder panel, select it and Choose Library > Synchronize Folder."

It doesn't exist in the Folder panel. It never has. It would mess up my workflow to have it as such. I only import from this folder.

Try (via finder) moving a few of the images in the folder to another folder that has been cataloged. Then synchronize that folder to see if the images show.

I did this and the images showed up fine, so there is nothing wrong with the image files.

Instead of invoking the Import Dialog first, drag an image from th Camera Roll folder onto the Library module or the Lr icon. That will bring up the import dialog. see if you get the same results.

Did this and it did not work.

Why this is strange is that I have no problem importing from the same folder in Lightroom 4. Something has changed here in LR5.

Here's another image of what is happening:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/sh/e6199117-5f68-4a75-9faa-2f94220f8f18/2a633375d4c394fb7e3ebd19c5...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2015 Feb 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Lightroom 5 yesterday and I'm having the exactly freaking Problem.

Lightroom does not recognize any photos from iPhoto, can't import it.

Now, yesterday I did import some photos from my Nikon, bough, Raw and JPG. Today, I took a lot of pictures, again, Raw and JPG, try to import it, can't do it.

The message I'm getting is this: "Some import operation were not performed: The Following files were not imported because they could not be read. (280) - Items 1-100 - Items 101-200 - Items 201-280.

Now, this is very strange, because on each of this "items", there's severals photos. I can see them on my preview, no problem, but Lightroom can't. I did copy them to another folder on my mac, still same thing.

Now I ask, I never use Lightroom in my life, I did download this 30 days trials, how in the world I would ever buy this piece of junk. I'm sorry, but it just not see reliable. My first 2 days experience has been nothing but a nightmare with this software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2016 Jan 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My folders are arranged into year "2014" and than date  Ex ("15-02-21") . It has been working fine. Suddenly from the 5700-files only 40 are available. Except for the 40 available files nothing shows. On trying to import the files all the files are there  but "Already imported". I have not checked all my folders, but most of them are ok. That is, the folders and sub-folders are all there except "2014".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem. I clicked on Destination on the right and all images were showing up instantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed 5 yesterday and having the same problem as Antonio.  Using the import tool for Canon 7D and SL1 .cr2 files and LR shows both cards as blank even though I can see the files in windows explorer.  I've also tried importing them from different locations (From the camera, memory card, hard drive) and still shows up blank.

The kicker is I can open them through canon DPP, Photoshop, and LR 4.4.  The LR 5 about screen shows RAW version 8.1 (not sure if that makes a difference or not).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2013 Jul 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Expanding the "Destination" section on the right fixed things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2014 Dec 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's worked! Thanks a lot you all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2014 Oct 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GUYS THIS IS THE SOLUTION

just expand Destination

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2014 Dec 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh goodness, toggling the 'Destination' panel on the right worked.

A ridiculous sounding suggestion but... I can't deny the results!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2014 Dec 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, Expanding the "Destination" panel on the bottom right is what did it for me too. Not very intuitive, I must say. Thanks for the tip. Nothing would import, neither from hard drive folders or external media, until I did this. Using lightroom 5.7 on OS X 10.10.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2015 May 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unbelievable, but toggling the destination panel on the right kicked Lightroom to start seeing images to import again.  This was driving me absolutely bonkers.  Used LR since version 1 and have not run into this until today in the latest LR CC.  It had worked fine for a few days since the update but today... it couldn't see anything to import from any source (card, camera, folder until I just clicked the destination list - toggled the arrow closed, toggled it open, and boom: there were the things I was trying to import.  Grrrrr.....  and thanks so much for taking the time to post that this worked for you - it sounded so silly that I almost didn't try it.  Adobe needs to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2015 Feb 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That was exactly my problem!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2015 May 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me... Why would that happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I was going around in circles trying to figure this out on my new computer, couldn't get anything to work from what others suggested, tried your method and it worked instantly! Brilliant! Very much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yup, this was the magic trick. Had to switch back to 'Move' then play with Destination Tab as you suggested then back to 'Add' since I manually copied the pictures over and nothing was showing up.

It's some kind of glitch it seems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey. Any legs on this? I'm still not able to get LR5 to import from a folder that LR4 had absolutely no problem with. I could use some tips and help please.

Thanks,

Antonio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.  The photos are not showing up in the files.  I even tried to uninstall and install it again, same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

What operating system are you running on when experiencing this issue?

Is this Mac or Windows only or both?

If you create a new LR5 catalog, does it see the images in the folder?

What about the permissions on that folder, are they appropriate for your user permissions? (full read-write priveledges)

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's windows 8

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2013 Jun 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pete,

To answer your questions:

What operating system are you running on when experiencing this issue?

Is this Mac or Windows only or both?

- Windows 7 64bit

If you create a new LR5 catalog, does it see the images in the folder?

- No it does not.  I've tried it with both RAW and jpeg files with no luck.

What about the permissions on that folder, are they appropriate for your user permissions? (full read-write priveledges)

- I'm using an administrator account so permissions aren't an issue.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2013 Jun 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pete,

This is happening to me on Mac 10.8.4

This happens with both a brand new catalog as well as the catalog which was upgraded from LR4.

Permissions have been checked and rechecked. They are fine. LR4 can import from these folders. LR5 cannot.

I've even created new folders on different hard drives and copied the images there and they tried to import from the new folders and the same problem exists.

I've pretty much exhausted anything I can think of to get LR5 to import these images and nothing works. I've tried syncing the folders too, and that didn't work.

The folders are full of images I've shot on my iPhone and iPad. These are JPEGs only, no RAWs.

This is beyond bad for me as my workflow very much includes images I've shot from my iPhone.

Thanks for trying to help.

Antonio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem. Running OSX 10.8.4. Photos show up in finder and will open in Photoshop, but Lightroom won't recognize files. Says "No photos or videos were found to import".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines