Skip navigation
macbookgirl2013
Currently Being Moderated

Are there any differences between using Adobe Illustrator on a MAC and on a PC?

Jun 13, 2013 3:46 AM

Tags: #illustrator #cs5 #adobe #mac #pc #cs6

Hello,

I'm about go enroll in a class specialized for teaching Adobe Illustrator in order to be able to use the program at work.  The company that I work at uses Macintosh computers to deal with clerical work and everything, so I would like to know if there are any differences between using Adobe Ilustrator on a MAC and on a PC.  The school that offers training teaches two types of classes, where one uses Illustrator on a MAC, and the other one on a PC.  The PC class is able to have an earlier start date, which is why I'm sort of leaning towards choosing that class as I need to be able to use the software as soon as possible, but if there are main differences between the interface that will affect my knowledge of using Illustrator on a MAC after I take the class with Windows systems, then I will most likely be waiting for the class teaching in MAC systems.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Oh and another suggestion- should I take the Illustrator class in CS6 or CS5?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 13, 2013 3:49 AM   in reply to macbookgirl2013

No differences between PC & MAC. Go for CS6.

Regards,

Raghuveer

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 3:54 AM   in reply to macbookgirl2013

i find my fingers are permanently hovering over the modifier keys, and like playing a video game, i get a sort of finger memory for different commands on the windows machine at work that messes me up when i have to do jobs on my mac at home. but that's about it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 6:40 AM   in reply to macbookgirl2013

When I was teaching none of my students ever had a problem with whatever being on a different platform. The first few minutes of class you will be used to the keyboard modifier difference of CTRL(PC)= CMD(Mac), ALT(PC) = OPT(Mac).

I would go for CS6, atleast your certification will be more current in the future. You will not struggle as much as you may think with the differences between CS5 & 6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 6:48 AM   in reply to macbookgirl2013

As of now, CS6 PC's version number is lower than Mac's.(don't ask me why), which means, there are more bugs in PC version.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 7:18 AM   in reply to Mike Gondek

there was one thing that stumped me for a little while, but it was PS not Illy... the modifier for changing brush size by dragging is alt+right click on windows... couldn't figure it out at home until I remembered that right-click isn't a 'thing' on its own on a mac, it's a shortcut for ctrl+click. so it's alt+ctrl+left click.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 2:22 PM   in reply to macbookgirl2013

Another detail: Compared to the Win version, the Mac (CS5) version has a direful concept when it comes to selecting fonts through the Characters palette: Just a popup without a useful scroll bar.

Awful.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 3:03 PM   in reply to macbookgirl2013

Reading through the CS5 vs CS6 performance thread, the Mac version seems to have worse performance than Windows version.  From a starter's perspective the differences would most likely never be realized.  It will take some time to see differences between even CS5 and CS6 other than the visual aspect of course.

Definitely take the CS6 versionso you can say you have it.  CS5 is my preferred version, CS6 is garbage with the bugs it has for the type of work I use it for.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points