Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Keyword Tags in PSE11

Jun 13, 2013 6:29 AM

I have a problem with the keyword tags in PSE11.

Problem Statement:

When a keyword tag is selected, the resulting subset of photos includes images that are not tagged with the selected keyword. The non-matched items that are displayed all have a distinguishing symbol – a non-match icon

However this behaviour is inconsistent.  There are many other non match photos that are completely suppressed, so why are these ones being displayed with a ‘non-match’ icon? 

Steps Taken:

1. I have tried repairing the catalog.  The system tells me there are no inconsistencies but I use the ‘repair anyway’ option to force a repair.  This has no effect.
  2. Through the help system I discovered this document:

http://helpx.adobe.com/crx/kb/HowToCheckLuceneIndex.html

This document contains instructions on how to delete the index files to force the system to rebuild them.  Unfortunately none of the files and path names specified in the instructions  exist on my system so this is a non-starter.  Q. Does the process differ for my version (PSE 11)?

I am flummoxed as to what is going on and would appreciate some help please.  TIA

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 13, 2013 8:56 AM   in reply to PaulFBarrett

Can you post a screen shot of the Organizer displaying this behavior?

The document you refer to in step 2 has nothing to do at all with the Elements Organizer or it's catalog. That is Help documentation for CQ, part of the Adobe Experience Manager and CRX. It's a marketing tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 9:40 AM   in reply to PaulFBarrett

Not sure where you search, or what you searched for, but this page has nothing to do with Photoshop Elements.

I was really hoping for a screen shot of the entire application, so I could see more of the settings. This doesn't really help much.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jun 13, 2013 9:44 AM   in reply to PaulFBarrett

Hi Paul

To search keywords you need to click on the chevron (see image); click clear before starting a new keyword search.

Chevron.png

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jun 13, 2013 9:49 AM   in reply to PaulFBarrett

Use "Clear" in the results panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to 99jon

Yes, try hitting the Clear button. It is in that dark grey bar between the search criteria at the top and the search results on the bottom. Next to it, it says Options. What you are seeing should be the result of having the Option "Show results that do not match" enabled.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 12:51 PM   in reply to PaulFBarrett

If the above hasn't helped, my next best guess is that the settings have become corrupted in some way. Try Step 3 here: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/troubleshoot-system-error s-freezes-photoshop.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 1:54 PM   in reply to PaulFBarrett

You keep mentioning indexing. There is no indexing involved with keywords. There is no separate keyword index file. If there is some sort of corruption, it would be in the catalog itself. But I really doubt anything like that is going on here. I think we are really dealing with a usage issue. Can I just call you? Just send your number in a direct message to me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 4:05 PM   in reply to PaulFBarrett

Won't know until I take a look, but it is an interesting theory. And yes, I am in the Pacific time zone. So I could call you tomorrow morning, would just need your phone number but would prefer that you don't post it here. Instead, click on my name at the top of the post, and click the Send Private Message in the list of options that appears in the top right of the next page.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 11:23 AM   in reply to Brett N

An update to those who may be reading this thread. I talked with Paul today and the issue only happens with some of his keywords and it appears that there may be some form of corruption with his catalog at root of the behavior. I've collected his catalog file to investigate further and attempt to repair it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 1:56 PM   in reply to Brett N

Looks like we may have a clue to what's going on here. Not a glitch, but just a learning experience. In the screen shot above, we see the images which do have the keyword have a light grey background surrounding them. Those that do not have the keyword have a dark grey background. The dark grey background is for those images a that are part of a stack. If a stack contains even one image that has the keyword, the entire stack is displayed, those images within the stack without the keyword are marked as not matching.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points