Skip navigation
Awo_11
Currently Being Moderated

Resizing Images Originally created in InDesign

Jun 13, 2013 8:28 AM

I created a Logo in InDesign CS 5.5. It contains a number of different elements and I grouped all of the lements together. The original size of the Logo is approximately 15.5 X 7.5. I also formatted the interior of a book in InDesign. I copied and pasted the logo on the title page of the book, and resized the logo to around 6.75 X 3.25 by changing the percentage of the image. I am unable to change the width and height directly because it gives me a “Requested Value is not a Legal Dimension” message. After sending the interior to the printer for review, they replied indicating that the image was less than 300 DPI. Is there a way to manage or control the resolution of images originally created in InDesign so that when they are resized, the DPI will still be a desired resolution for print?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 13, 2013 8:48 AM   in reply to Awo_11

The error usually means you've added a unit of measure to what you typed in the field without highlighting or deleting the old units. I'm puzzled by the printer's comment though. Objects you create natively in ID have no resolution -- they're vectors -- so maybe this is some imported image, or perhaps an effect that you applied? If you something like a drop shadow and you've flattened the transparency, you need to use the correct flattener settings -- High Resolution -- to get satisfactory resolution in the shadows or other effects.

A scree shot might help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 9:04 AM   in reply to Awo_11

InDesign shouldn't really be used to create logos - you should use Adobe Illustrator - it's designed with more tools and the file format is universal for the printing industry as .ai

How are you sending the printer the logo? Are you sending the InDesign file or are you using File>Export and if so what file format, and what are your settings?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 11:30 AM   in reply to Awo_11

Sounds like you are not flattening the transparency and the printer is an idiot. Get him to tell you what is low resolution and how he is handling your file....

|
    Mark as:
  • Bernie X
    91 posts
    Feb 20, 2002
    Jun 13, 2013 6:23 PM   in reply to Awo_11

The printer knows what they're talking about...

Any effect will be rasterized on print/PDF export.  You can view this in the Flattener Preview.  Medium resolution transparency means the gradient and mesh resolution of an object's applied effect (bevel/emboss, in this case) is rasterized at 150 ppi.  Instead, try exporting to Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3), which uses high resolution transparency flattening--gradient and mesh resolution is rasterized at 300 ppi.  Also keep in mind that any rasterized effect will affect any text or stoke layered beneath it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 5:04 AM   in reply to Bernie X

If the flattener presets are grayed out the file is not being flattened because the file is being exported to Adobe PDF 1.4 (Acrobat 5) or higher that supports live transparency, so the flattening is happening in the RIP at the printer (which is where  it should be done in the 21st century). Resolution is his setting, not the OP's in that case, and the error is on his end. Either he is using the wrong settings, or his workflow is broken and he's doing something really bad like putting the file into Quark Xpress for imposition and flattening or he just flat out can't handle files produced using current technology.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bernie X
    91 posts
    Feb 20, 2002
    Jun 14, 2013 7:50 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Effects are always rasterized, no matter if the file has live transparency or is flattened.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 7:55 AM   in reply to Bernie X

But the resolution is not fixed until they are flattened.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 1:21 PM   in reply to Awo_11

If you are not flattening there is no rasterization of the effects taking place at all in ID when the PDF is created. That is handled at output by the device that outputs the PDF, so there is no choice of flattener preset required or available for you. If you export live transparency the printer should be rasterizing the effects at the optimal settings for his equipment.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points