Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 5 Bugs that need a quick fix.

Jun 13, 2013 9:59 AM

I think there are at least 2 bugs in my opinion that need a quick fix as opposed to the normal update schedule.

#1 - Sharpness and Noise not transfered to small JPG exports. 

This is probably a critical bug for a lot of users sending images to clients or posting on the web.  This bug has been acknowledged by Adobe.

See here  http://forums.adobe.com/message/5403557#5403557

#2 - Horizontal crop not holding on Vertical photos

You can do an undo to get the orientation back but just cursoring through the photo is enough to cause the behavior.  It even persists through a restart.  This has been acknowledged by Adobe.

See here  http://forums.adobe.com/message/5403413#5403413

I can deal with these for awhile but I would think a lot of pros and others will be adversely affected as there doesn't seem to be easy or acceptable work around.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 13, 2013 10:02 AM   in reply to Bob Somrak

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to Bob Somrak

I can duplicate it but to be quite honest, I don't know that it would ever come up in actual use for me. I rarely never pass a crop or a crop orientation from one image to the next in this manner.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 10:35 AM   in reply to Bob Somrak

Sorry, I am not seeing that behavior here (Win 7).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 10:39 AM   in reply to Bob Somrak

Nope, I can't reproduce it. Win7x64.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 10:51 AM   in reply to Bob Somrak

Can't repro on 10.8.4 either unless I am missing some crucial step.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Jun 13, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to Bob Somrak

+1

For critical #1 stuff it is beyond me it takes so long.

As said in another thread, it is not important to have all the issues sorted out at once, as that seems to postpone the critical ones.

Bob Somrak wrote:

I think there are at least 2 bugs in my opinion that need a quick fix as opposed to the normal update schedule.

#1 - Sharpness and Noise not transfered to small JPG exports. 

This is probably a critical bug for a lot of users sending images to clients or posting on the web.  This bug has been acknowledged by Adobe.

See here  http://forums.adobe.com/message/5403557#5403557

#2 - Horizontal crop not holding on Vertical photos

You can do an undo to get the orientation back but just cursoring through the photo is enough to cause the behavior.  It even persists through a restart.  This has been acknowledged by Adobe.

See here  http://forums.adobe.com/message/5403413#5403413

I can deal with these for awhile but I would think a lot of pros and others will be adversely affected as there doesn't seem to be easy or acceptable work around.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 2:15 AM   in reply to Bob Somrak

Another problem that really needs a quick fix in my opionion is that resizing the brush goes way too slow and laggy.

To replicate:

- Go to develop mode (d)

- Select adjustment brush (k)

- Use scrollwheel on your mouse to resize the brush (don't use scrollwheel on the size slider but on the photo itself)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 2:20 AM   in reply to M. de Boer Photography

No lag for me - nearly instantaneous.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 2:26 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Hmm odd, the only way it works fine for me is when I do this:

- Go to develop mode (d)

- Select adjustment brush (k)

- Hold down ALT (eraser brush)

- Use scrollwheel on your mouse to resize the brush (don't use scrollwheel on the size slider but on the photo itself)

But other than that ... it's plain rubbish, I had several more people complain about it. What PC/Laptop do you have and specifically 32bit or 64bit / AMD or Intel processor / NVIDIA or AMD graphics card?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 2:35 AM   in reply to M. de Boer Photography

Self built, win7/64 - all AMD (mainboard graphics).

Kensington Expert Trackball.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 2:41 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Hmm, that might be why. The other bloke that's having trouble as well is - just like me - using an NVIDIA card. Although he's on a PC and I'm on a Laptop, those drivers are unified and thus the same.

Even though it'd be a guess, that might be one thing If so, it seems they built in graphics acceleration / CUDA in Lightroom, yay!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to M. de Boer Photography

M. de Boer Photography wrote:

Hmm, that might be why. The other bloke that's having trouble as well is - just like me - using an NVIDIA card. Although he's on a PC and I'm on a Laptop, those drivers are unified and thus the same.

Even though it'd be a guess, that might be one thing If so, it seems they built in graphics acceleration / CUDA in Lightroom, yay!

Instantaneous for me, with my NVidia card.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 9:54 AM   in reply to Lee Jay

If I try it on a picture with no adjustment brush use, the effect of changing the brush size by scrolling the mouse wheel is instantaneous (Nividia GTX 550 Ti, W7 64bit).  However, on an image with lots of existing brushing, it's very sluggish.  Changing the size by dragging the size slider seems instantaneous in both cases. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 11:43 AM   in reply to CSS Simon

How odd, I tried in both cases (with and without lots of editing) and both seem really sluggish to me. Strange thing is, while brushing I can resize my brush smoothly like it should! While not brushing it goes sluggish again, really strange!

What version of Lightroom 5 are you running, maybe another build somehow (Help-> System Info)?

I use Lightroom version: 5.0 [907681],

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 11:49 AM   in reply to M. de Boer Photography

M. de Boer Photography wrote:

What version of Lightroom 5 are you running, maybe another build somehow (Help-> System Info)?

I use Lightroom version: 5.0 [907681],

Same as mine.  I thought there was only one build. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 2:58 AM   in reply to CSS Simon

Any news there?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 4:13 AM   in reply to IvarSt

Yes, it's gone a bit quiet. 

LR5 released on 9th June

Immediate flurry of bug reports, culminating with an Adobe blog report 12th June to the effect "we hear you and we're on to it".

Now it's 5th July, and there's been silence ever since.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 3:03 AM   in reply to CSS Simon

I've not found this anywhere - but not to say it has not been reported. Aside from the brush re-size and the crop-failure - last night I was outputting edited images and finding the the outputted ones bore no resemblence to the selected ones! It did this about half a dozen times, seemingly just randomly exporting images.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 3:19 AM   in reply to Kernowpics

Other notable annoyances - the lens correction auto alignment tools seemed pretty good (Vertical I used alot as I do alot of interior house shoots) in the Beta, now it fails just about every time. The 'Navigator' view is malfunctioning too - click on 'Fill' and then try to move the area - it sometimes flips to 1:1 size, necesitating a second click on 'Fill'. Sometimes. I may go back to V4 as this is useless!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 6:18 AM   in reply to Kernowpics

If the image selection was done in publish service grid, then it's a known issue - workaround is to always select using filmstrip (dunno if there is also problem sometimes when images are selected using normal (non-publish) grid). If you had selected your images via filmstrip, then I give up...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2013 12:55 PM   in reply to Bob Somrak

Crop tool on Mac doesn't work until the image has fully loaded. This REALLY slows me down and it would be super awesome and a much appreciated fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 4:14 PM   in reply to Bob Somrak

If it's any help, I've been doing some research around the cropping bug and found that:
    1. It only affects photos with crop angle less than -7 or higher than +6.2 degrees.

2. The Rotation setting in Lens Correction / Manual doesn't affect this range.

Since the rotation setting is adjustable between -10 and +10, you can use it to broaden the bug-free range to -17 to +16.2 degrees. (The Constrain To Warp checkbox might come handy here.)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 12:36 PM   in reply to Bob Somrak

Has anyone had the repeated problem of using a publish service and then having to restart Lightroom 5 after in oirder to go back to working with your catalog? Doesn't matter which publish service is used, Facebook, Flickr, SmugMug. Very annoying. After the publish is complete, you can't select any pictures not in that publish service window unless your restart LR.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 12:41 PM   in reply to Andrebetz

Never had that happen, but I've heard someone else (or was it you) mention the problem.

win 7/64.

Are you having the problem on Mac, or Windows?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 1:06 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Mac running 10.8.5. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers