Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Workstation or Desktop video?

Jun 13, 2013 11:46 AM

My new Dell U2713H is on its way, and I need a new video card to take advantage of it. I work mainly with Photoshop and Illustrator, with a little bit of Video and 3D. No games whatsoever. I would like some advice based on this.

How much video memory do I need? When I look at the Nvidia Quadro series, there's a big jump in price from entry-level to mid-level, but only the mid-level has 2GB. For desktop cards, even some of the lower-end ones have 2GB. Would the extra memory be good for working with image stacks and panorama stitching?

For the more expensive desktop cards, are you mostly paying for enhanced gaming capabilites, or would it be a general overall improvement in performance?

Most of the reviews I see for workstation cards are oriented towards people who do do a lot of 3D. Like I said, I don't do a lot, but I do some. Wold something like a Quadro K600 give me a performance boost in Photoshop? Or might I be just as happy with a lower-mid-range desktop card?

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,972 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 13, 2013 3:43 PM   in reply to Semaphoric

What do you have now, and what are the rest of your system specs?   There's no point spending heaps on a top end card for a low end system. 

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cs6-gpu-faq.html#mercury

[EDIT]  Just noticed you also have an interest in video.  Check out the PPBM5 results table (click on All Details).  Look at the cards used, and the three MOE columns to see how much difference those cards made when using GPU acceleration.  This is for Mercury Playback Engine in Premiere Pro.  The link above tells you how GPU assited affects work with Photoshop.

http://ppbm5.com/DB-PPBM5-1.php

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 13, 2013 9:13 PM   in reply to Semaphoric

Generally speaking, I'd suggest that desktop/gamer cards are powerful enough for anything Photoshop needs.

Are you set on nVidia, or are you willing to entertain ATI options? 

I have a $200 VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 card that's a pleasure to use with everything I throw at it, even 3D stuff in Photoshop.  ATI went through a bad period but their current driver, Catalyst 13.4, is rock solid good.

I don't know whether the CC generation of video applications can use ATI acceleration.  I don't do video.

Don't spend more than $200.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,972 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 13, 2013 10:39 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

.  I don't do video.

-Noel

Apologies for high jacking the thread, but will you be going with the full CC subscription Noel, or just Photoshop?  There’s a lot of video-centric software in the CC, so a shame not to use some of it.  I decided to make the effort to learn as many of the apps as I could, so did the last camera club newsletter with InDesign, and I am now totally in love with InDesign!  I’ve only touched the basics so far, but I can’t wait to use some of the Interactive PDF features.   It’s an order of magnitude better than Publisher, which I am ashamed to say I have been using since I took over the newsletter about six years ago.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 14, 2013 7:47 AM   in reply to Semaphoric

I think that the PPBM5 site, that Trevor pointed you to, would be a great resource. Now, it is built around Premiere Pro, but any card that does well with PrPro should perform great in Photoshop.

As for the Quadro cards, they ARE good hardware, and have good driver support. However, many of the GeForce cards will give you a bunch of their "bang" for the buck. The only hesitation that I have, steering you away from the more pricey Quadros, is your mention of 3D - that is where the Quadros shine.

Years ago, I invested in the FX 4500 Quadro, as I was doing some 3D. It worked (and actually still does with older versions of PrPro, before CUDA/MPE) well for many years. Not sure that ever really got my money's worth out of it, but still cannot complain. For my latest video-editing laptop, I passed on Quadro, and have not regretted that decision. The price differential was put into a big, fast SSD for system, and two large, fast HDD's. Went with the GF GTX-780M w/ 4GB VRAM, and that works very well.

As for nVidia vs AMD/ATI, the bulk of the performance enhancements in PrPro are still geared to the nVidia, but support for OpenGL is getting better. I think that today, I would still go nVidia, but that might easily change in the next generation.

I would also point you to the Premiere Hardware forum. It is very active, and the two developers of PPBM5 hang out there. Also, the gentlemen from ADK (Adobe workstation builders) are almost always around. Though most of the talk is regarding PrPro, PS will benefit from most of the information that you find there: http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum?view=discuss ions

Also, many of the folk there also use Photoshop a lot, though might not be quite the same level of power-user, that you will find here.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 2:19 PM   in reply to Semaphoric

Good luck, and please update this thread with your observations, after working with the card a bit. Video cards are always a hot topic, and you will likely help others.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 14, 2013 10:18 PM   in reply to Semaphoric

I don't have a 10 bit monitor, but from everything I see I can do 10 bit with the 7850 when I do get a monitor that supports it.

Trevor, I have a full suite subscription.  I just have no need for video.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 16, 2013 10:24 PM   in reply to Semaphoric

Semaphoric wrote:

I still think I'm going to have to get some computer glasses, though.

Do so, and don't settle for "good enough".  The person working up your prescription will want to stop before you want them to stop.  Let them know up front you really, really want to take the time to get the best possible prescription, so that you can see 20/10, and be very comfortable in front of your computer.  Have them mock up the prescription and ask them to change one notch either way just to be sure you get the best possible result.  It's worth it.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 10:44 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

…The person working up your prescription will want to stop before you want them to stop…

…doing what, exactly?  

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 17, 2013 6:20 AM   in reply to station_two

Trying different lenses of course!  ''What's better, this...  Or this?''

20/20 isn't perfect vision, but as soon as you can read rhe line on the chart that implies you've reached 20/20 they'll stop so that they can shuffle you out and the next victim in - unless you push for perfection.  This is experience talking. 

Perfection means you'll be comfortable for the next year.  Quick means they'll get more appointments in more quickly that day and go home early.  You decide.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,972 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jun 17, 2013 9:00 AM   in reply to Semaphoric

A buddy of mine gets his and his wifes prescription glasses made in Singapore, which is apparently famous for offering this service at a fraction of domestic prices.  You get full instructions on what measurements to make, fill in form, and send the form and prescription to Singapore, choose a frame, pay a pitance, and wait for your shiny new glasses.  I just had a quick Google, and there are lots of links.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points