Skip navigation
boytekk
Currently Being Moderated

Urgent...trying to cut an object with tonnes of effects in half, no worky!!

Jun 13, 2013 1:04 PM

Tags: #illustrator #problem #cs5 #adobe #objects #illustrator_cs_5

Hi!

I'm a Photoshop guy, working in Illustrator for client requirements. What they need is a massive banner that I've scaled and applied a load of effects to, but they will be printing it onto two boards so I need to cut the image in half onto two seperate artboards. The only issue is that when I cut it with either the knife, scissor or eraser tool (the extent of my Illustrator knowledge) the effects sees it as a closed object; so for example the inner glow will now end up against an invisible wall so its now not a fluid object which is paramount. I'm really not sure if I'm describing this in the most accurate way but if someone out there has a solution I'd be extremely grateful. The client needs it tommorrow and so far the only way around I've got is a box covering one side with a clipping mask, which hides it but they're using them to print with so they may need it more precise. The banner also has a lot of layers for shading/gradients etc so If I could merge them alongside the effects that could work but that doesnt seem to be possible.

Thanks to anyone who is seemingly up for a challenge!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 13, 2013 1:13 PM   in reply to boytekk

Why won't a mask work?

Lets say you got a 100" wide banner, use a 50" wide mask, duplicate the artboard, select the object, click the edit contents button, move everytihng over 50".

Don't forget about bleed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 1:37 PM   in reply to boytekk

Assuming this is a rational team play: What does your client / print provider say?

Usually, there are guidelines when cooperating …

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 4:54 AM   in reply to boytekk

boytekk wrote:

Has no one ever encountered this problem before?

When we print a job like that, all we need to know is where the seam is supposed to be and then we panel it ourselves in the RIP software.

I don't understand why your printer would need an AI file.

That said, in later versions of Illustrator, if you make a true clipping mask and then select all, all you will get (and all that the Transform panel will report for size) is the portion that is visible. Just put it on an artboard of an appropriate size and all should be well. Obviously, you will then have two files; Banner_Left and Banner_ Right, or whatever.

Good Luck.

--OB

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 5:31 AM   in reply to boytekk

Ah, yes! The laser cut does change thigs. It sounds like you are on the right track. We do print-to-route (not laser) quite often. In those cases I will have two final layers; a print layer (with bleed, if needed), and, above it, a (non-printing) cut layer. Each layer is sent separately to the appropriate machine.

--OB

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points