Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 64-bit HDR Pro producing corrupted merge

Jun 13, 2013 3:33 PM

Running CS6 Basic on W7-64bit. I'm not a frequent user of CS6, mostly Photoshop Elements does all I need, but I've been reworking the CS5 Classroom in a Book exercises to refresh my CS6 knowledge.

I've reached the exercise (page 139) where multiple images of a model are merged using File> Automate> Merge to HDR Pro... but getting a weird result in CS6 64-bit. I've tried the two suggestions seen in this forum (resetting preferences, ensuring images are displayed in tabs) but neither has worked. My graphics drivers are up to date as are all Windows updates.

If I run the same images through Merge to HDR Pro in the 32-bit version of CS6 its perfect.

Here is what I'm getting in 64-bit - any suggestions?

1.jpg

Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 13, 2013 4:45 PM   in reply to nealeh

What bit depth per channel is the image you posted? (32, 16, 8)?

On my (64-bit) machine, 32-bit HDR images look wonky, but 16- and 8-bits per channel both look fine. (For HDR imagery, I usually retouch in 16-bit.) I suspect this is because on a 24-bit monitor (8-bits per channel), 32-bits per channel is outside of displayable range.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2013 6:43 PM   in reply to nealeh

That looks like 3 photos at almost identical exposures.  You really need some variation (even a quarter stop plus/minus seems to work) in exposure to do an HDR merge.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 8:59 AM   in reply to nealeh

But the readout in MergeToHDR shows the exposures as 0.0, 0.0, and -0.03 EV.

Hmm, have you installed all the ACR updates?

There was a bug a while back where ACR was trying to auto-correct images, despite MergeToHDR telling it not to.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points