Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Fixing Color in Video taken thru a Window

Jun 13, 2013 9:02 PM

Poor dummy me! I have taken some footage through a window in Abu Dhabi in a tall building.

The window must have had a slight tint in it.

The footage appears to be slightly green & blue.

I have played around with various effects in PP, all to no avail.

Can some experienced editor play around with it and let me know the best settings and indeed the best effect to use

to correct this footage. I have enclosed a still of the footage & embedded code from a small video sample on

Youtube.

I am going to use an adjustment layer as there are several sequences . Using PP CS6

Thankyou

Fix Color thru Window.Still003 (Custom).jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 13, 2013 9:14 PM   in reply to Roy Hessey

20 sec in AE got the following.. the filter settings should carry through to PPro. Is that sort of what you meant? There's a BIG green cast over the highlights, so once you kill that you're in the ballpark.

Fix+Color+thru+Window.Still003.jpg

Levels:

Input black: 52

Input white: 197

Gamma: 1.28

Color Balance:

Highlight red: 19

Highlight green: -38

Preserve luminosity: ticked

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 12:06 AM   in reply to Roy Hessey

C'mon Roy - you can do it! Try messing with the highlight green values in the Color Balance in Premiere for starters and then play around with the Color Corrector.

(cheat values in Premiere below)

Screen Shot 2013-06-14 at 5.07.06 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 12:07 AM   in reply to Roy Hessey

Try the three-way color corrector. There are objects in that frame which can be sampled as 'white' and 'gray', such as the boats and the road surface. Given it's an overall tint, you should be OK setting the shadows correction to a similar vector as the others.

Roy Hessey wrote:

I was hopeing there was a fix within Premier.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 1:38 AM   in reply to Roy Hessey

Colour correction, which doesn't require complex compositing work, can be easily done in PrPro.

Working in high bit depth yields better result, so tick 'Maximum Bit Depth' flag in your sequence settings (as well as in the Export Settings when you're done) and utilise 32-bit effects - you can filter them by toggling '32-bit Color' badge in the Effects tab.

Set your workspace to Color Correction so as to monitor scopes and waveforms while manipulating effects' settings. Understanding waveforms and scopes helps you realise what you need to do so as to achieve desired look.

Waveform of a well exposed footage with deep contrast occupies a wider range, whereas one of a footage with a weak contrast - a narrower range. So as to expand the contrast for the latter case you need to lower the 'bottom' (black point) of your waveform closer to '0' and lift its 'top' (white point) closer to '100'. You set the black point with either 'Pedestal' or 'Input Black' and white point with either 'Gain' or 'Input White'. You compensate for overall brightness of your footage after you tweaked the Pedestal and Gain with Gamma.

Waveform also clearly shows you which channels' settings to tweak and how in order to achieve proper colour balance. The more R, G and B waveforms aligned, the better the colour balance.

Here is an example for all the above with RGB Color Corrector:

PrPro. Colour Correction.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points