Skip navigation
boytekk
Currently Being Moderated

How to save multiple artboards onto one PDF?

Jun 14, 2013 2:33 AM

Tags: #illustrator #problem #adobe #mac #export #illustrator_cs_5

Hi,

I've got a large Illustrator file with five artboards, my client asked for seperate PDF's of each artboard which is what I'm used to, but they've also asked for a PDF that shows all the artboards at the same time (basically looking like it does from the file I'm working on). I've trawled the settings and the web but to no avail. I've tried printing to PDF from the print menu but the only printer is Adobe Postscript File; whereas online people can select PDF from the menu settings. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 14, 2013 3:14 AM   in reply to boytekk

i don't really know. why not just fake it? make one big artboard arrange the 'pages' how you want (or they want), export that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 3:27 AM   in reply to boytekk

i thought we were talking about PDFs? you said you're used to exporting individual artboards to PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 3:30 AM   in reply to dougofakkad

i just had to double-check this but you can just drag one big artboard behind multiple existing ones and just save that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 3:34 AM   in reply to boytekk

how were you saving individual artboards to PDF if you can't save to PDF?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 3:45 AM   in reply to boytekk

i always think of making PDFs as exporting, but yeah. i'd just draw a container artboard and save that. there might be a neater way but I do not know it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to boytekk

Choose "Save As" from the file menu and select PDF. Then click the radio button within the Save As dialog and input the artboard range you'd like to save out as one pdf.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 11:34 AM   in reply to meganchi

Meganchi,

I'm afraid this is not the goal in that case.

The OP asked for a way to create a single page .pdf out of an Illustrator document with multiple artboards.

Your suggestion won't do that.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 12:10 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

Oops, should have read the post better. To save out one page from multiple artboars, then, you simply select to highlight the artboard you want to save out from the artboard floating palette. Then, choose save as PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 12:23 PM   in reply to meganchi

Additionally, if you want to view all artboards inside one pdf at the same time, then select all artboards from your artboard floating palette, save as .eps, then open in Adobe Acrobat and save as a pdf.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 12:28 PM   in reply to meganchi

MultipleArtboards.jpg

This shows that I was able to save out multiple artboards as an .eps file, open it in Adobe Acrobat and view it as a 1-up. Then I saved it as a PDF from Adobe Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 12:34 PM   in reply to meganchi

> "To save out one page from multiple artboars, then, you simply select to highlight the artboard you want to save out from the artboard floating palette. Then, choose save as PDF."

I'd say that still won't work, Meganchi.

The OP is asking for something different. Imagine an Illustrator document with 4 artboards. On each of the artboards there is just one filled circle. The task is to create a single page .pdf that contains all 4 circles according to their (relative) positions on the former separate artboards.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points