Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere 11 - Format movie to store in iTunes

Jun 14, 2013 6:46 AM

I have just started using Premiere because iMovie keeps crashing. I usually just send my finished movie to iTunes where it's stored as Home Video. How do I get a Premiere 11 movie into a format that iTunes will accpet? I hae selected the option to send the movie to a computer file, but when I finally found the file, I had to change it to another format. Once that was done I sent it to iTunes but only got the movie, not the sound.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 14, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to Meteorlady1

Meterorlady1

What are the properties of your finished movie?

Pending further details on finished movie properties (frames size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive...), you should be able to get your finished movie into iTunes using a choice in Premiere Elements' Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime for a H.264.mov or Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD for an AVCHD.mp4.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 8:53 AM   in reply to Meteorlady1

>into a format that iTunes will accpet

I think ITunes would be the 1st place to ask... so what does iTunes help say about formats?

Once you know what iTunes will accept, you can check your PreElements share options to find a match

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 10:30 AM   in reply to John T Smith

John T. Smith

As you say, always a good idea to go to iTunes for its requirements and/or verify them.

In what I suggested I did a search as well as doing an actual import of some Premiere Elements 11 Windows home movies that I created this morning into iTunes (latest version). Further details pending more information (iTunes as well as Premiere Elements 11 sides) from Meterorlady1. I did a 720p30 as well as 1080p30 version.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 12:18 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

If you want to keep it simple, Publish & Share/Devices/iPad will produce an ideal video for itunes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to Meteorlady1

Meterorlady1

The only way that you could get a .f4v export in Premiere Elements is via Publish+Share/Computer/Adobe Flash Video. If you got a .f4v export, you were not in QuickTime, you were in Adobe Flash Video. Did you scroll down the list of choices under Publish+Share/Computer to find QuickTime?

If you did that and did not see QuickTime, that tells me that you do not have QuickTime (latest version or any) installed on your computer. If that is the case, please do so since that is a requirement for Premiere Elements (any version). You should not have to detour through .f4v to get to a movie file with the file extension of .mov. That .mov is just the file extension representing the wrapper format for the video and audio compression. When you get to QuickTime, look under the Advanced Button/Video and Audio Tabs where you can customized your settings. Right now I would start with the Video Codec = H.264 to give you a H.264.mov export. If you need help with any of the other export settings, please let us know.

As for your still pictures which you now have as 1920 x 1080 pixels, what is your project preset and what are the properties of those videos that you are importing. Please check to see what is showing in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size. Do you know if your source media is interlaced or progressive video to go along with the frame rate?

Hoping to put together the information to help you achieve a uniformly good Home Video for your iTunes Library.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 5:43 AM   in reply to Meteorlady1

Meteorlady1 wrote:

when I burned a plain DVD, but the stills were out of focus).

When you burn to DVD all your assets, still photos included, will be down sized to 720 x 576 (if PAL) or 720 x 480 (if NTSC), so that is what is probably introducing the blurring.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 10:13 AM   in reply to Meteorlady1

In the Publish+Share Tab, you need to use the scroll bar to the far-right of the Panel, to see the various options. Flash Video is the first one in the list, and is why you got F4v. The scroll bar is hard to see, but look closely for it. When you scroll down, you will see the QuickTime options, plus many more.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 10:25 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Here is a look at the Publish+Share Panel, with the Settings scrolled down to display QuickTime (Note: I am no PC, so will have some options, that your Mac might not have), and the scroll bar highlighted:

PrE11_Share_Scroll.png

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 2:15 PM   in reply to Meteorlady1

Meterorlady1

Thanks for the follow up. I got involved in some computer matters this afternoon and have been away from the forum for a few hours.

If you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer, I think that Hunt is on the right path asking you to explore the options under Publish+Share/Computer/. The lineup (at least according to my Windows set up) is:

Adobe Flash Video

MPEG

AVCHD

AVI

Windows Media

QuickTime

Audio

I cannot tell you how many times that scroll bar has been misinterpreted and the lower choices believed missing.

When you open your project which you have heading for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, what are you using as the project preset? And, are all your photos from a camera or do you have any freeze frames from videos included. At the present time, what do you have in the way of

photos

a. sizing

b. number of

that you want into a burn to disc DVD from within Premiere Elements 11 Mac?

Another bit of information...you say that you resize downward to 1920 x 1080. But, what are the pixel dimensions of the originals. Again how many of such photos?

Where are you playing these Premiere Elements burn to disc DVD-VIDEO...TV DVD Player, what size screen? Are your DVD-VIDEO blurry to the same degree on different TV DVD players. Is computer playback better, worse, or the same as TV DVD Player play back.

I will try to put all of the above requested information into a "plan" in the search for better.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2013 4:35 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

At the risk of going Off-Topic here, I agree with your statment:

I cannot tell you how many times that scroll bar has been misinterpreted and the lower choices believed missing.

I have had difficulty seeing that scroll bar, since PrE 4, and it seems to get smaller, and more difficult with each version. We have had some real power-users miss it in PrE 11.

That's why I have a few screen-caps, for a couple of versions, to point the danged thing out. As I use a 17" laptop on my patio, in daylight, the scroll bar almost completely disappears.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2013 8:47 AM   in reply to Meteorlady1

Meterorlady

We will be looking forward to futher developments with your project.

I decided to review your entire thread to catch up on anything that I may have overlooked first time around. I came across one fundamental matter which I need clarification on. You wrote:

What Adobe told me is that they don't scale down the still pictures within the program like iMovie does.

I am not sure if that was taken out of context, but... Premiere Elements preferences includes one under Edit Menu/Preferences/General for "Default Scale to Frame Size". Typically it is the active setting. What is option is designed to do is to scale your import to the frame size to correspond to the frame size in the project preset that you or the program selected. So, I am not clear on my quote of what you posted on that matter.

More on that later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 10:18 AM   in reply to Meteorlady1

Again, you can use the simple output settings I listed in my first post and it will create a video ideally suited for iTunes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 10:20 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Also "Scale to Default Size" does not change the size of your photos. Only how they are displayed in Premiere Elements.

To batch resize your photos go to Photoshop Elements' File menu and select Process Multiple Files. Here you can set an entire folder of photos to resize to 2000 px width (the ideal size for high-def video). If you select the option to save to another folder, it will save your resized folder to a new folder and leave your originals in their original resolution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 10:10 AM   in reply to Meteorlady1

An output video in MP4 will work fine in iTunes as far as I have used it. So look for any format that does this. MOV will also work (native Apple etc.)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points