Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Where is the 'Create QR code'? I have registered for CC but all my downloads are CS6

Jun 14, 2013 9:03 AM

Tags: #indesign #create #code #cs6 #qr #cc

Title says it all pretty much. 'Create QR code' is supposed to be in Indesign CC but I can't download any CC products despite registering for CC yesterday, they are all CS6, and CS6 doesn't seem to have the Create QR Code option on its menu. Are the Mac/Windows products different, or can we not get the CC clients in the UK. Something weird is happening.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 14, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to Checkup

InDesign 9 hasn't been released yet. It will tentatively be available for Creative Cloud members to download and install this coming week, most likely on Monday. What you currently have is InDesign 8 which shipped as part of CS6.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 9:07 AM   in reply to Checkup

Funny enough you don't need InDesign CC to create QR codes - QR codes can be created for free.

http://keremerkan.net/qr-code-and-2d-code-generator/

Hope that helps

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 9:12 AM   in reply to Checkup

and there's also the Jongware script: Adobe Community: [Ann] QR Code for InDesign CS4 and up

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 6:16 AM   in reply to Checkup

Eugene, I believe that InDesign's QR code generator will actually be creating vector art though, which makes it a much better peice of art than the bitmapped ones off the internet.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 6:49 AM   in reply to Fred_77

Fred, while not strictly true unless one is resizing the bitmap, the site Eugene pointed you to can save the result as SVG or EPS.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 1:28 PM   in reply to Fred_77

The QR generator will create an eps inside InDesign.

BUt there are a lot of QR programs out in the market, many of them on smarphones which will send you per e-mail a vector eps which you can use in any other program. Most of these programs are cheap, some below 1 €.

On 17 of June Adobe promissed to release CC.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 5:04 PM   in reply to Willi Adelberger

Fred_77 wrote:

I believe that InDesign's QR code generator will actually be creating vector art though, which makes it a much better peice of art than the bitmapped ones off the internet.

A QR code doesn't contain anything that would make it more suitable in a vector format. It's just a set of squares -- in fact, a black-and-white bitmap is as close as a "native" representation of the pure binary information as you can get.

Willi Adelberger wrote:

The QR generator will create an eps inside InDesign.

If that's so, it is even less an advantage that CC's "are vector". Unless there is a major change of heart (and so far unmentioned by the PR team), you cannot colorize embedded EPSes or edit them in any other way.

So even for CC users my Javascript has advantages over Adobe's!

Mine creates a monochrome TIFF bitmap, which can be colorized and made transparent, just by applying a swatch. In addition, even though it is a bitmap (again, a very sensible choice for QR codes -- IMO), you don't have to worry about potential resolution issues. Unscaled, its base resolution is 200 dpi -- I made sure each of the 'squares' consist of several pixels. And since it is a monochrome bitmap, only the very stringest compression settings will alter it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 6:00 PM   in reply to [Jongware]

The dialog to create the QR code allows you to choose a color.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 10:11 PM   in reply to [Jongware]

I disagree.

1. In Id CC you can choose any swatch directly in the dialog.
    2. Any Bitmap is a disadvantage with a QR compared to avector. I often prepair the publication for print and for online distribution and here it comes to minor quality and low resolution and this will cause problems with the QR in the recipients side.
    3. That this is an eps most users will not be aware as it is with normal frames inside InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 3:38 AM   in reply to Checkup

If you create EPS files from the site I directed you too you wouldn't need to resave as different sizes.

The image can be resized without having to create different dimensions.

Plus if you are only creating bitmap versions, why not start with a massive Bitmap size - then your team can simply scale down the version you send them?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 5:09 AM   in reply to Checkup

My habit with small bitmap QR codes has been to scale them up in Photoshop using Nearest Neighbor as the algorithm. No problems so far.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points