Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to to print an .indd document with a border around the edge?

Jun 14, 2013 9:39 AM

Tags: #pdf #settings #export #marks #printer's

I have an Indesign document that I want to print with a slight border around the edge.

I print this after exporting it as a PDF.  But when I choose the various combinations of 'print printer's marks' in the export settings, none of them seem to work.

I want just a simple thin border line around the edge of the document to print.  I don't want the interior body to print (which it sometimes does).

I know this can be done, because on some of my .indd documents it works... but I can't figure out what I did to get it to print that way.

HELP!

and thanks....

jn

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 14, 2013 9:41 AM   in reply to John Nez

Moving your query to the InDesign forum. The experts here are better placed to answer your question.

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 9:54 AM   in reply to John Nez

If I understand what you are asking, you just need to include bleed in your export and/or print settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to John Nez

can you post some screen shots with guides turned on? I don't really understand what's happening.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 10:51 AM   in reply to John Nez

I think the purple interior is printing because you have checked in Export Adobe PDF/General at the bottom: Include/Visible Guides and Baseline Grids. I would draw a rectangle around the bleeds and give it a 0.25pt line. But it will be interesting to know a method of printing the bleeds without doing that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 12:27 PM   in reply to John Nez

The second one is caused I think, for the reason I mentioned above. You need to check your settings in the Export Adobe PDF. In the first one, check if there are any frames with border applied. Although I'm not sure why it's showing solid lines only on three sides of the frame.

Also check if there's a frame in your master page.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 1:02 PM   in reply to John Nez

The only way that border could find its way into your PDF is if it's also in your document You've got a frame someplace with a strole applied to act as the border.

And the only way it will print is if it's actually in the printable  area of the page on the printer, so it's not likley to show up on a  letter-sized document printed on letter-sized paper.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points