• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XDCAM EX Codec for free

Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got some footage from a client that apparently was shot on a Sony XDCAM EX according to MediaInfo, see image for full file info: http://screencast.com/t/y5roeLmyLH5O

I've looked around, but the main solution I found was Calibrated{Q} XD. I don't work with these video files all the time, is there any way around paying $150 for the codec?

I'm on Windows 7 Premiere CS6.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

I don't know of a free solution to this, I assume you are looking at this codec?

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000005

For me it was worth paying for it as I get a lot of these XDCAM FCP wrapped clips. It's a pain, but eventually the old FCP will die and we won't need to worry about it anymore. For now, this is the best solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the original media, PP should handle it just fine.  If you have something that's been converted, go back to the client and get the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2013 Jun 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the Sony XDCAM records in a different file format?  I should be looking for a larger folder structure with the audio and video in seperate folders type thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bradmagnus wrote:

So the Sony XDCAM records in a different file format?  I should be looking for a larger folder structure with the audio and video in seperate folders type thing?

Are you certain the camera was a Sony 'EX' model?

The footage for my current project was shot with a Sony HDW-F900R.

This camera records HDCAM to .MXF, .MPG or .MOV files.

We chose to shoot 1920x1080 23.976 .mxf, but I asked the

shooter to do a couple of rolls of .mpg and .mov for testing.

There was no complicated folder structure as with the EX cameras.

The card contained a single folder named: }CLP{

The only metadata was a single .MP_ file accompanying the one .MPG.

The .mxf and .mpg files import and function as expected,

but importing the quicktime files produces this error:

CS6.0.3 / Win7

error.PNG

Changing the file extension to .mpg allowed import,

but there is no audio or video stream in Premiere.

Quicktime details:

mediainfo.PNG

gspot.PNG

Quicktime player 7.7.3 only displays a white screen.

QT.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know of a free solution to this, I assume you are looking at this codec?

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000005

For me it was worth paying for it as I get a lot of these XDCAM FCP wrapped clips. It's a pain, but eventually the old FCP will die and we won't need to worry about it anymore. For now, this is the best solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that's the codec I'm looking at. I don't deal with this type of footage very much at all, so I was trying to be cheap... It looks like I may have to buy it.

Saville_82 wrote:

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=10 00005

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure of anything. I'm really far down on the subcontractor chain, and I don't know who the original vendor was. The calibrated code works, and is going to be easier than trying to figure out original footage.

joe bloe premiere wrote:

Are you certain the camera was a Sony 'EX' model?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to import these files natively and edit

without installing any additional codecs... have you tried?

Another point, it is MPEG video in a quicktime wrapper.

Premiere uses QT (32bit) to decode and play .mov files.

This is an impediment to the 64bit nature of Premiere.

If you change the extension to .mpg or.mpeg, the 64bit engine is utilized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EX-3 native files have .mp4 extensions, not .mov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I thought he was asking about the quicktime (.mov)

file that that he linked the info on the initial post.

quicktime.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conclusion is clear: This is not original material, so follow Jim's advise in post # 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was asking about the file I posted originally. I'm not sure the client has the camera files, I had to wait for quite a while to get these on a hard drive from the vendor who recorded the interview. I'll try changing the wrapper and see how that works out! Thanks for the advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2013 Jun 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't understand, it seems.

XDCAM-EX records everything to SxS cards, that contain one BPAV directory, which contains numerous sub-directories. After having copied the complete BPAV directory to hard disk, you go to Media Browser and import all the .MP4 clips. PR is clever enough to find the audio that belongs to each of these clips and the metadata and import that as well.

If they have a .MOV extension it is no longer the original material, it has been modified by FCP and probably changed to an intermediate format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I attempted changing to .mpg and .mpeg, it allowed import of the footage, but without audio.

joe bloe premiere wrote:

You should be able to import these files natively and edit

without installing any additional codecs... have you tried?

Another point, it is MPEG video in a quicktime wrapper.

Premiere uses QT (32bit) to decode and play .mov files.

This is an impediment to the 64bit nature of Premiere.

If you change the extension to .mpg or.mpeg, the 64bit engine is utilized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 16, 2013 Jun 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before buying a codec, find out if the XDcam is the from  a Sony or JVC camera. Some JVC cams can use .mov or .mp4 wrappers for their XDcam varient.  Both should work in premiere anyway.....just one is for native FCP editing and one for PC apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FCP MOV wrapped XCDAM-EX footage is the best way to get inoperable to the rest of the world...

If you can: Use the original Mp4 files as advised

If not: Use FCP to transcode the footage to something that can be read from other software (like Apple Prores MOV)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to buy the codec, as I don't have FCP nor do I want to take the time to transcode it. Thank you for the advice.

nw42 wrote:

FCP MOV wrapped XCDAM-EX footage is the best way to get inoperable to the rest of the world...

If you can: Use the original Mp4 files as advised

If not: Use FCP to transcode the footage to something that can be read from other software (like Apple Prores MOV)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a pretty old thread now, but I thought I'd update what I ended up doing. I trimmed the clips down to a few seconds from the hour or so of footage in Premiere. I didn't buy the codec (from calibrated software, just used it as a demo), just used it with the watermark. I was surprized to find out that when I pulled the sequence into After Effects for rotobrushing, it worked perfectly, no watermark from Calibrated software. I Roto'd in Ae and rendered out an mov with alpha. Thanks for all the input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines