Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Color change when placing an eps file in inDesign

Jun 14, 2013 2:03 PM

Tags: #changing #color #changes #indesign #colour #different #logo #shapes

Hi everyone, I've created a document for a poster. I add some shapes setting all the CMYK colors for each... plus text etc.

I then place an eps file (logo) which was set with the same CMYK colors used on some of the shapes. Everything looks good.

When I export to PDF the logo I placed now looks different... the color that was the same is quite different from the shapes I added and filled in inDesign. Thoughts?

I had never experienced this before moving to CS6. Is it a color management thing?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Nelson

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 14, 2013 2:22 PM   in reply to NelsonCardosoMH

Most likely. The .eps file probably has an embedded color profile that differs from the ID working space and your color settings are set to preserve profiles or convert the color to the working profile on import. When you open Separations Preview do you see the numbers you expect in file?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 6:12 AM   in reply to NelsonCardosoMH

Is your illustrator file set to Document CMYK or Document RGB?  Illy will allow you to put in CMYK values into an RGB document.  It just converts them over to RGB.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 12:55 PM   in reply to NelsonCardosoMH

Why do you use eps at all? Use ai.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,126 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2013 4:17 PM   in reply to NelsonCardosoMH

Any thoughts would still be appreciated if you have an idea of what might be happening.

EPS doesn't have color management capabilities. Make sure the assigned CMYK profiles of your illustrator and InDesign documents are the same (Edit>Assign Profiles). Then resave as .ai and include the profile

Screen Shot 2013-06-17 at 7.14.51 PM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points