Skip navigation
amnv13
Currently Being Moderated

I am in need of help with shapes (New to Illustrator)

Jun 14, 2013 4:39 PM

Tags: #illustrator #help #shapes #question

I know there are probably a bunch of discussions with this topic, but it's hard for me to find them because I don't know the correct terms to use, so I get the wrong results.

I have two shapes, one is on top of the other and I'm trying to make a sort of dazed eye, so I have part of the iris sort of outside of the eye outline. I'm trying to delete that part that is not within the outline of the eye. Any help is appreciated. I can provide screenshots upon request.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 14, 2013 4:59 PM   in reply to amnv13

It sounds as if you are looking for a clipping mask.

Copy the eye shape, Paste to Front (Cmd/Ctrl+F).

Select the new copy and the iris, then Object > Clipping Mask > Make (Cmd/Ctrl+7)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 9:38 PM   in reply to amnv13

What Steve suggests will work, however so won't pathfinder>Divide. I find the pathfinder panel working better for this than the effects. Not sure why, but it does. All that left is to select the top object and delete. You are still left with two objects, but it works.

eye-divide.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2013 2:21 AM   in reply to amnv13

amnv,

You may create the pupil before you use the Pathfinder as suggested by Sikrooster; that solution will cut part out of the eye shape where the iris/eyeball is, and everything will be grouped.

If you wish to retain the full eye shape (behind the pupil/iris/eyeball), you may:

1) Direct Select the upper segment(s) forming the upper arc of the eye shape;

2) Copy to the front (Ctrl/Cmd+C+F+X+F, and Ctrl/Cmd+J to join if you have more than one segment up there);

3) Object>Path>Divide Objects below;

4) Delete the unwanted parts.

If desired, Group.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 11:16 AM   in reply to amnv13

No That is not what I wanted. I want the eye outline shape, and the part of the iris shape that is within it to become one shape. so it looks like a blue eye with the eyelid down a bit.

I beg to differ. It’s exactly what you wanted:

Picture 2.png

The iris is masked with a clipping mask that’s the same shape as the eye.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2013 2:54 AM   in reply to amnv13

No problem. Glad you got it sorted out.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers